The Falkirk FC Thread

Taken over the old turnstiles at a very early age was the best education being a Falkirk supporter. If you think recent times have been difficult, I can remember watching some awful football in front of crowds probably less than four figures. Jeffries time was brilliant, a five year stint in the SPL was great, and never thought I’d see three cup finals, and some great cup runs. Some very recent difficult years, but always remember the rejection of SPL status, and the bentness of so called fellow clubs, and the Scottish authorities who were and still are warped to the core. 

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

This 100%

I've said before, what makes this worse was that my first ever game was the b&q cup final. I just thought as a 7 year old 'well this is great, this must be what it's like all the time' and to be fair the next couple of years with him was amazing. Love totten for the class of 97 and 98 in the Scottish. Hughes was amazing as well as housties good times. But that's yer lot. 

Cunningham, Totten, Jeffries, Hughes, Houston from my time are the stand out managers. All had the fans with them their teams playing entertaining football winning games in style. Making good signings that tried and in the end if you try on the pitch the fans will forgive a lot.

13 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Turn the question round - best manager?

Aw man, I came here to ask that for today's question! 

Yogi and Jeffries for me in a straight toss up. Both had the best teams and the most success (in my lifetime). 

Both left under a cloud. 

25 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Aw man, I came here to ask that for today's question! 

Yogi and Jeffries for me in a straight toss up. Both had the best teams and the most success (in my lifetime). 

Both left under a cloud. 

Doesn't every manager leave under a cloud?

If they have performed poorly the fans are desperate for them to go and sometimes they outstay their welcome. (See McKinnon, Sheerin, Hartley)

If they have performed well then they get poached by a bigger club and the fans are raging at them for leaving us. (See Jefferies, McCall and "Mr Falkirk" ).

30 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Doesn't every manager leave under a cloud?

If they have performed poorly the fans are desperate for them to go and sometimes they outstay their welcome. (See McKinnon, Sheerin, Hartley)

If they have performed well then they get poached by a bigger club and the fans are raging at them for leaving us. (See Jefferies, McCall and "Mr Falkirk" ).

If it's done right then the moving to a better club is just a fact of life and most fans can accept it. Problem is it never seems to happen to us. Jeffries U-turn, McCall's I believe in integrity and yogis melt down experiences were always going to piss folk off. Pressly on the other hand we were happy to get rid of and the fact we got money was the cherry on top.

Probably Jefferies for me but it's close, McCall had us playing great stuff  and Yogi aswell although he kind of pissed on his chips by bringing in older players with the exception of Latapy who was outstanding and we started to struggle a bit more. 

I don't think McGlynn will be deemed one of the better managers even if he does somehow get us up this season. Simply because of the shit show towards the end of last season and him being unable to do anything about it. Back to back promotions required and he may get spoken about in the same regard as Jefferies etc. 

On 23/06/2023 at 09:21, scottsdad said:

Here's a question for a quiet Friday. Who is the worst manager we've ever had and why?

Biggest dick not in the Eddie May manner would've been easier.

Presley, Hartley and Lambie probably topping that list but I hated Gerry Collins more than Lambie for sticking around after Lambie resigned, so many stories of him being a total dick around that time.

A new list of out their depth managers starting with Eddie May, Ray McKinnon, Martin Rennie and Paul Sheerin

On 23/06/2023 at 10:22, Bairnardo said:

I remember Lambie but not the details really.... 

I will go for Paul Sheerin. Hartley was a c**t, but his first season was good. 

What Sheerin served up was the most spineless football i've ever sat through. 

I'd personally have Rennie above Sheerin. We had more than one good performance under Sheerin. The wheels coming off and he had no clue what to do kinda shown him up and why he will never be a manager again.

Rennie on the other hand brought in 6/7 players and brought in Griffith's a wage that that could've gave us us 4 players and his signings weren't much better. Kenny Miller done better rallying the players than Rennie too.

McCall has served up the best season of football that I can sort of remember in detail, being old enough. 

I know the answer is Jeffries but by the same logic I can't call Lambie as worst, I probably can't pick JJ as best. It then goes between Jobby, Yogi or Houston. 

If we'd got past Killie then Houston would have pissed it for me. Or if he'd have lifted the cup obvs. But then jobby didn't see out a full season. I was a bit part fan in the Yogi years......

f**k it, I'm having Peter Houston. 

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

In terms of football quality, I don’t think there was little between JJ & McCalls teams. Memories of some fantastic football played by both. Yogi with Latapy taking the piss was a fantastic watch. 

Was that a deliberate double negative? I was reading is as you thought there was a lot between the two teams.