The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

In a friendly.

Would be a fair point if we didn't also play that way throughout a failed league campaign last season

It's natural given how abysmally we finished last season that we are twitchy. 

McGlynn has a very short grace period this season even with patient fans. Maybe not even to the end of the LC group stages.

Another fitness exercise really, although disappointed with the 2 goals conceded.

What should be focused on is the group now blown wide open with results today (2 results which would’ve had this place in absolute meltdown btw). Great chance to progress again. Away at Partick will be key if we can do the business on Tuesday 

1 minute ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Would be a fair point if we didn't also play that way throughout a failed league campaign last season

It's natural given how abysmally we finished last season that we are twitchy. 

McGlynn has a very short grace period this season even with patient fans. Maybe not even to the end of the LC group stages.

The league cup group stages mean nothing though really. Yes it's a nice bonus if you go through but how many times have we looked great in them only to be garbage in the league campaign. Annan at the start of August is the important one . 

I think most fans, including myself will give McGlynn a chance as we really don’t have an option at this stage, we don’t have the finances to change things. It was a narrow defeat in a preseason friendly to a team from the league above, the worry for me was that it was a carbon copy of so much that went on last season.

For me though he is on borrowed time and must be aware the fans will turn on him very quickly if we don’t get off to a good start to the league campaign.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

McGlynn is very much a steady the ship type manager and that's about it. No real danger of getting relegated but struggling to get promotion. Compared to some of the other incumbents who previously masqueraded as a FFC manager he's an improvement but it wasn't a big ask. If he fails this season I don't see him managing again. 

There's certainly not much to get excited about. He's had the summer to bring in his own players and adapt to the failings of last season but he seems to think all we needed was a bit more strength in the same style/formation. 

I can't honestly see it working out but the difference this year is the future of the club is at stake. 

Never saw the game so have no comment on the team display.

It was a friendly no more than that so lets not read any more into the display today. So the negative vibes just set's a narrative.

Lets make judgement after the first round of league games - that's fair. If the fan's get on the teams and individuals backs right at the start of the season then all is lost.

33 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The league cup group stages mean nothing though really. Yes it's a nice bonus if you go through but how many times have we looked great in them only to be garbage in the league campaign. Annan at the start of August is the important one . 

Agree with this. League Cup has effectively been turned in to friendlies so as good as it is to get through, it’s nowhere near an indicator as to how the season will go. 

By far the highest priority for the players today was not to get injured on the cusp of the season.  Throwing themselves into 50/50 tackles would be stupid in a game that doesn't matter. I am not bothered by the result.  I'm sure we'll have a good number of occasions during the season to vent our ire, but today is not one of them.  COYB

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

34 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

There's certainly not much to get excited about. He's had the summer to bring in his own players and adapt to the failings of last season but he seems to think all we needed was a bit more strength in the same style/formation. 

I can't honestly see it working out but the difference this year is the future of the club is at stake. 

This. I couldn’t really give two Fcks if we get beat in a friendly(s)if formations and players are being varied/shuffled looking at different scenarios/set ups etc. However it’s blatantly clear that McGlynn is persevering with the same formatting that failed last season, albeit with a change of some personnel. 
There’s not one supporter that doesn’t want the best for our club, but FFS there’s already serious concern with many that even without the real football commencing we’ve learned nothing from our collapse last season. 

11 minutes ago, Bairn winner said:

BPM was spot on regarding the negativity with some posters, we haven't even played a serious game yet. We're doomed Captain Mannering doomed.

The negativity has nothing to do with today’s game- it is the fact that the problems are exactly the same as last season.

51 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Agree with this. League Cup has effectively been turned in to friendlies so as good as it is to get through, it’s nowhere near an indicator as to how the season will go. 

... By the Premier League teams. Still 50k at stake for clubs such as ourselves for getting out the group stage.

Every game now is about building momentum.

Wins breed confidence.

Not saying we should win every one but we shouldn't view them as blips any longer, realistically.

Poor focus and defensive lapses have to be eradicated.

It was a friendly. It means nothing. It's a glorified training exercise. 

The takes on here by some are wild. Sack him after a friendly? FFS. If we go 1 down in the first half of the first league game, there will be folk on here wanting him sacked at half time. 

The fact is he is our manager. The board stuck by him. You can either get on board, support the team and manager and try to create a feelgood factor that will help , or snipe from the sidelines and moan your faces off over every missed tackle or half chance missed. 

If we get into the guts of the season and are not in contention, then fair enough, ask questions. But now?? 

Jesus wept. 

I go to the odd Falkirk game due to F&F being Falkirk fans so I'm considering a night oot to Spartans on Tuesday night. 

Arbroath was a pre season match but as for the League Cup unless you get out of the groups into the knock outs then you can't take shock results seriously as it's just pre season with a competitive edge.

I was at Shire v Hutchison Vale on Friday night and the new pitch looks amazing. Also the pitch markings are actually sewn into the surface as opposed to paint.

As a neutral none of Falkirk's fixtures excite me too much which is a good thing. Falkirk are the strongest team in League 1 as Hamilton are  in transition. Falkirk should be targeting to win League 1 come the end of the season.

58 minutes ago, Bairn winner said:

BPM was spot on regarding the negativity with some posters, we haven't even played a serious game yet. We're doomed Captain Mannering doomed.

Correct (apart from spelling Mainwaring wrong...).

This thread has become completely unreadable. OneF used to get the piss taken for being negative but it was a shining bastion of hope compared to the monotonous drone of negativity here. BPM was right to take a break.