The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Roboccop said:

1500£ a week. (rangers paid it all for us last year). Holding on for money he can’t get elsewhere? 

I guess so. But, surely he knows he won't see that sort of money? Unless he goes abroad. It's also nearly August so at some point he will have to cut his losses 

The thing that most concerns me and has done for some time is that when we are chasing the game we still don't seem to have a coherent plan. It's very much just a case of players trying things individually before then moving it on to the next man for the same sequence to commence.

Yes, it worked against Spartans and almost last night but if we are to consistently find ways of breaking sides down who sit deep and absorb pressure then we need to find a pattern of play that works for us in these moments consistently. Some people will moan and groan when it happens but if we increase the speed in which we pass back and cycle possession around the pitch it would go a long way to actually improving our chances of breaking teams town.

2 hours ago, ChrispPancake said:

Lang was not at fault for the goal last night.

I'm sorry but having watched last night's game I couldnt disagree more.

A pass into that area is something a professional player should never be making. It was u12 stuff and was rightly punished.

All about opinions I suppose, good luck for your league campaign.👍

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

A pass into that area is something a professional player should never be making. It was u12 stuff and was rightly punished.

Definitely Langs fault.

As things stand this is the side I'd go with

Long/Hogarth

Yeats        Donaldson      Lang     McCann

Morrison         Henderson    Spencer      Agyeman

MacIver      Allan/Oliver

Subs McGinn, Nesbitt, Lawal, Mckay, Mackie (when fit), Miller

I think we need to be playing with two strikers with two wingers, when Agyeman or Morrison, beat a man, which they often do, MacIver is well covered by defenders, we need more options for them to pass to. I'd prefer Yeats in midfield as cover for Henderson and Spencer as he has promise but without a right back I think he's our best option. I'd like to see Henderson in with Lang but I think he offers too much ball winning, aerial threat, engine, presence in the middle so Donaldson gets the nod there. McGinn, very sadly should only be used as an experienced sub when we are in a comfortable lead and need to hold onto the ball. I like Nesbitt, Lawal (haven't seen enough of Miller yet) but would only use them as subs for Morrison Agyeman and Spencer based on form, protecting players etc. I'd rotate 2 out of 3 between MacIver Oliver And Allan buy always play 2 so they aren't isolated like MacIver was last night. 

I still think we are way too weak up front and that will be our achilles heel again this season.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

10 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

The thing that most concerns me and has done for some time is that when we are chasing the game we still don't seem to have a coherent plan. It's very much just a case of players trying things individually before then moving it on to the next man for the same sequence to commence.

Yes, it worked against Spartans and almost last night but if we are to consistently find ways of breaking sides down who sit deep and absorb pressure then we need to find a pattern of play that works for us in these moments consistently. Some people will moan and groan when it happens but if we increase the speed in which we pass back and cycle possession around the pitch it would go a long way to actually improving our chances of breaking teams town.

Took McGlynn until the 75th minute to change the formation and put Jordan Allan on. 

Having watched the replay it looks like the ball spun back just as Ageyman was about to pull the trigger.

I'll absolve him of dithering and upgrade it to "unlucky".

Impressed with MacIver and think the plan is he will bring the others into play and be the focal point. 

Requires Ageyman and Morrison to capitalise more often on the flick-ons so really need them to not be as unlucky and clinical.

5 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Impressed with MacIver and think the plan is he will bring the others into play and be the focal point. 

Requires Ageyman and Morrison to capitalise more often on the flick-ons so really need them to not be as unlucky and clinical.

Hoping this is something that improves throughout the season as they all get more used to playing with one and other. MacIver was a highlight for me for this reason.

Was very much in the meh category when he was announced but looking forward to seeing him develop now. Initial goals have helped.

10 hours ago, HonestAl said:

Some observations from tonight.

1. This McGlynnBall will destroy us. We do not have the necessary skill level of defender for this style (playing out from our own bye line). Having said that I think Yeats-Donaldson-Lang-McCann are very solid players for L1.

2. Sadly, Stephen McGinn’s legs have gone and doubt that he is even a squad player this season

3. Finn Yeats is already a good player and a very fine prospect. Probably midfield is his best position.  So, we do need a RB.

4. Henderson should start once fully fit in midfield alongside Spencer & Yeats, with Agyeman & Morrison (plus Miller) providing the flair. Just give them the ball ffs.

5. MacIvor is another fine prospect.

Strongly agree with all of this.

Signing a proper right back and dropping McGinn and Oliver would be transformative. I'd still have them coming off the bench with Lawal, Miller, Nesbitt and Allan all being able to contribute as well.

I don't think we are far away from being a good league 1 side but our deficiencies are fairly glaring 

6 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Signing a proper right back and dropping McGinn and Oliver would be transformative. I'd still have them coming off the bench with Lawal, Miller, Nesbitt and Allan all being able to contribute as well.

I don't think we are far away from being a good league 1 side but our deficiencies are fairly glaring 

Don't think we're going to get a RB now, sadly, unless sevco loan us that young laddie for free or someone leaves to free up a wage. 

Positives from last night.

Sam Long had a very good game. I absolutely love how quick he is at getting the ball out. A fair few times last night viaplay were still showing the replay and we were already half way up the park.

Yeats was caught napping a few times at right back but in midfield he was excellent, if we can find a right back he might force his way into the team in there.

MacIver's hold up play and dominance in the air is brilliant, if he can learn to attack crosses as well as he attacks a long ball he'll get himself a fair few goals this season.

If Agyeman took his chance last night I wouldn't have cared about how shite our performance was as we'd have came away with a point against a decent United side, especially when you think of the clear cut chances they missed.

24 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

McGlynn must have the best sunglasses in the world, because none of that glare is getting through to him.

Limitations aside, this group of players should be good enough to win this league. I am still miles away from being convinced that the manager is good enough to win it. Miles away.

5 minutes ago, tokyo bairn said:

Some chat on the COYB page that songs about Norrie McCathie were being sung by the new choir. Is this really true? If so I really think it is time that the club said something about it and we started talking about banning folk.

I don't remember hearing "the Norrie song" but there was definitely something being sung about "gas a fifer he's deid". 

I said this after the first game at EEP last season but there's absolutely no need for those kind of songs being sung and most of those who are singing them weren't even born when he died. I don't care if Dunfermline fans are singing songs about deceased Falkirk players, we can only deal with our own idiots

Edited by FK1Bairn

Lang……..definitely an improvement, but it had been mentioned pre-season that he had a bit of a flaw in his make up where he fairly regularly would do something unexpectedly daft/rash….…..charge out of position for no good reason, or make a suicidal pass and sell a cheap goal.

We saw that last night, and it is probably the reason he is in L1, and not upper Championship or lower top flight. His errors tend not to be “one offs”, but we just have to hope his positive contributions outweigh his mistakes.

11 minutes ago, tokyo bairn said:

Some chat on the COYB page that songs about Norrie McCathie were being sung by the new choir. Is this really true? If so I really think it is time that the club said something about it and we started talking about banning folk.

Yeah, piped up once. I am fairly certain it was only once. I won't bother naming the song that was sung. Given that this section is being done in conjunction with, and with the support of the club, then for me the club should be pulling them in and telling them there will be no support offered to the section if that shite continues. 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

I agree it was a school boy error. One of the first thing enforced on you not to do is pass the ball across the face of the goal.  Whether your playing from the back or playing long doesn't really matter as that kind of pass should never happen no matter how you play.

6 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

I don't remember hearing "the Norrie song" but there was definitely something being sung about "gas a fifer he's deid". 

I said this after the first game at EEP last season but there's absolutely no need for those kind of songs being sung and most of those who are singing them weren't even born when he died. I don't care if Dunfermline fans are singing songs about deceased Falkirk players, we can only deal with our own idiots

Thanks. Quite pathetic. Definitely time for the club to try and stamp it out - might actually be an opportunity to do so now that there is some kind of organised group.