The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

You minimumise the risk you don't ban it altogether though. There is less heading in the game than there used to be the balls arent anywhere near so heavy when wet and heading in training is very much restricted. Footballers still have a greater life expectancy than others and are less likely to develop other illnesses like Parkinson's for instance. 

The balls have not changed weight and although the weight when wet has near been eliminated the resulting higher velocity makes heading the ball just as dangerous.

Have a read of the various articles on the subject. I thought like you but reading them changed my mind. Players now in defense are 5 times more likely to get Dementia that's thats convinced the ruling bodies change has to come. The discussion they are having is how and the best way to phase it in.

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

As I said boxing is  far worse but it's not banned so why would you ban heading in football. Restrictions in training have been put in place and again you just need to like any other sport  make people aware of the dangers and ensure the correct medical care is in place.  Cycling has seen a spate of people killed in training and races will we stop them going round corners or up and down hills. We need to stop wrapping people up in cotton wool these days.

Cycling accidents are different as no head contact is involved in the sport.

The authorities have recognized that part of the way the sport is played will result in participants getting a higher degree of Dementia.

That is not sustainable and change will happen and is happening.

The discussion should be on the rule changes and tactics. Think it is an opportunity for a more watchable footballing experience.

3 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Chill oot ffs.

Really quite remarkable how certain posters on this insignificant wee corner of social media take themselves and their musings so seriously.

Would say the majority of posters on opinion forums take themselves seriously. Probably why most try to remain anonymous so they don’t need to take it personally and can say what they want without it coming back to bite them. 

For what it’s worth, I like most of your posts but am definitely not feeling the most popular so is hard to not take it to heart when being abused and ridiculed for sticking your head above the parapet to raise concern about an issue. Knew that would happen too but doesn’t mean to say it’s any easier to take. 

Edited by Van_damage

That's a decent loan signing tbf and quite surprising I thought we were pretty much done with incomings after signing a right back. McGlynn does love a Raith player, not sure what Aidan Connolly's situation is but I wouldn't be surprised if he moved for him in the summer aswell. 

McGlynn mentioning another injury to a key player (Miller, McGinn, Mackie, McKay already on the ‘out’ list). There are now several players reckoned to be “key” - Lang, Donaldson, McCann, Spencer, Williamson, MacIver, Alfie - so this is worrying news. Suspect it may be Alfie.

Edited by HonestAl

11 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

McGlynn mentioning another injury to a key player (Miller, McGinn, Mackie, McKay already on the ‘out’ list). There are now several players reckoned to be “key” - Lang, Donaldson, McCann, Spencer, Williamson, MacIver, Alfie - so this is worrying news. Suspect it may be Alfie.

McGinn,Mackie, Mckay we can pretty much cope with as it stands. Ross should be an able deputy for Miller. What we absolutely don't want or need is serious injuries to the likes of Lang, Spencer, Morrison, MacIver, McCann, as we simply don't have the replacements in terms of like for like. 

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Cycling accidents are different as no head contact is involved in the sport.

The authorities have recognized that part of the way the sport is played will result in participants getting a higher degree of Dementia.

That is not sustainable and change will happen and is happening.

The discussion should be on the rule changes and tactics. Think it is an opportunity for a more watchable footballing experience.

It's landing on your head that kills you in most of these bike accidents.

19 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

At least with Agyeman we have a ready made 10 replacement in Nesbitt. Lawal did well on the left against Ayr if Ross isnt ready. Would've been a bigger blow losing one of Spencer/ Lang/ Donaldson imo 

Add McCann to those and these are the players that we absoutely can't afford to lose ATM.

20 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

DAMN II spoke to him after the Ayr game and I had not an inkling he was injured. Seemed to be moving easily. Perhaps picked up in training?

He was injured during the Ayr game, but when he was sitting in the dugout prematch he said he expected to be back in training on Monday. That was nearly a week and a half ago so for all I know he may well have been and it could be someone else who's out. 

We'll find out on Saturday.  

Just catching up as been away for a few days with work.

Great loan signing in Ethan Ross. I’d like to get him in permanently tbh so hopefully he is here for a longer period. 

Queens Park is a boring tie to get but it’s at home which is the main thing. Half & half scarf in the tannoy box? 👀😂

Re FSS, disappointing no one from the wider membership has put themselves forward (although appreciate its not for everyone & I didn’t/wouldn’t myself) however I am glad someone (hopefully Mr Steel?) from the committee will be co-opted on in the meantime.  

Edited by RC55 FFC

7 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Deal until January gives Millar time to recover

I’m hoping Miller will be back much earlier than January, which would hopefully mean we’d have a very strong group of attackers in the squad; arguably the strongest in our League. If we can keep the back door shut too and build some good momentum, we should be looking to breakaway at the top for a points cushion. Easier said than done but with the quality we have that should be the aim.

Edited by GunnerBairn

41 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

He was injured during the Ayr game, but when he was sitting in the dugout prematch he said he expected to be back in training on Monday. That was nearly a week and a half ago so for all I know he may well have been and it could be someone else who's out. 

We'll find out on Saturday.  

It was a day or two after the Ayr game I was told about Alfie. With your information really worried it could be someone else.