The Falkirk FC Thread

Despite how I felt sitting at Airdrie that half time it now looks as if sticking by Mcglynn this season has been justified, he’s definitely improved us again this pre season. Recruitment has been excellent despite some of the negativity on here at the time around certain signings and re-signings, trying not to get carried away but we haven’t put in a single bad performance since the season started, long may it continue. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

4 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Pearse Carroll signed for Blantyre the other day. A junior team I’m sure. Glad to see he’s still playing football wish nothing but the best of luck to the kid. Great prospect. 

No Juniors any more, they are WOSL 1st Div, so 7th tier.

He scored yesterday too!

1 hour ago, Big chungus said:

Pearse Carroll signed for Blantyre the other day. A junior team I’m sure. Glad to see he’s still playing football wish nothing but the best of luck to the kid. Great prospect. 

Missed that one. Good luck to him. That shirt sponsor gives me the shivers though! 

Sunday night, and can’t wait till Saturday. Watched the highlights and our forward play was as good as I’ve seen for a long time. Agree with one or two earlier comments that we were maybe not at our best in first half, but our finishing was excellent, and didn’t realise how many great stops by the Kelty keeper. Spencer can’t be underestimated, great feet and football brain. 

4 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Despite how I felt sitting at Airdrie that half time it now looks as if sticking by Mcglynn this season has been justified, he’s definitely improved us again this pre season. Recruitment has been excellent despite some of the negativity on here at the time around certain signings and re-signings, trying not to get carried away but we haven’t put in a single bad performance since the season started, long may it continue. 

I personally would still review things with him at the end of the season, promotion or not. He’s getting it right just now and fair play but, like I said at the time, part of me when it comes to him, will never really get over that first half performance and also how he didn’t change it after going 2-0 down. It exposed a real flaw in his management, borderline dereliction of duty. 

Like I say though, things are going well just now and it’s great to see. 

25 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I personally would still review things with him at the end of the season, promotion or not. He’s getting it right just now and fair play but, like I said at the time, part of me when it comes to him, will never really get over that first half performance and also how he didn’t change it after going 2-0 down. It exposed a real flaw in his management, borderline dereliction of duty. 

Like I say though, things are going well just now and it’s great to see. 

I think I’m also in this camp. Love the way we are playing right now but you are right there is also a part of me that feels that Airdrie defeat is unforgivable. Looking longer term - is Mcglynn the man to get us in the premiership? I don’t know is the honest answer. If pressed I would be inclined to say no. However, he had Raith looking really good, until he signed he who shall not be named. With a bigger budget and some things going our way he maybe could get us into the premiership. 

note - I know I’m getting far too ahead of myself just always nice to talk about these things on a football platform. 

15 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

That was a common theme after the Airdrie game on all online forums. I strongly disagreed with it, though at the time I didn't say anything because it would have been farting against Thunder. Now that things have settled down a bit I'd like to state the case for his defence. (IMO anyway). 

Yes, he got it wrong against Airdrie. I'm sure if you were to ask him tomorrow he'd say that he should have done things differently for that game. Either in terms of player selection or tactics. Now that I think about it, that might be a good question for whenever they next do a fan forum. 

But for me the postitives outweighed the negatives. Improving us shouldn't have been hard, but FIVE successive management teams after Houston failed to do it. (Hartley, McKinnon, M&M, Sheerin & Rennie all took us lower and lower in the pyramid). 

McGlynn stopped the rot and got us into the playoffs. 

He did it despite having most of his budget tied up in players he didn't want. 

Almost all of his signings were a success, with probably only Matthew Wright being a let-down. 

He got us to Hampden which brought in major cash boost to the club, though admittedly he was a bit lucky with the draw. I don't mind that. I like lucky managers. 

He got us playing some excellent football which was probably the best since Houston almost got us up, even if he couldn't sustain it to the end of the season. 

For me all of that was more than enough to keep him on, never mind the gamble of starting again from scratch which had failed us so many times before. Or the financial risk in doing so. 

It now seems that faith has been repaid with recent performances. 

You can poke holes at McGlynns perceived failings, such as not playing two upfront, giving extended deals to Allan / Nesbitt / McGinn or his failures to beat Dunfermline & Airdrie. 

But for me he has one major strength which outweighs everything else. He can spot a player.  He's up there with Jefferies in that regard even if they're operating at different levels. And it's why I want to see him at the club next season as an absolute minimum. 

He should’ve changed things immediately after going 2-0 down (though 3-0 came very quickly). We absolutely had to get to half-time no worse than that scoreline just to regroup, to give ourselves something to cling onto. 

He was really fortunate to survive that and I feel it was only having to start again is what saved him.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

We have had as good a start to the league season as anyone could have realistically expected - perhaps even better. Recruitment looks, to date, to be excellent. But Hamilton at home on 7th October will be a true barometer of where we are and where we might be heading. Our record in this type of game has been absolutely pathetic for far, far, far too long - a record that obviously pre-dates McGlynn by a long way but which, last season, he came nowhere close to improving upon.

This is an incredibly weak league - Alloa are not as good as last season, QOS mediocre, Cove Rangers poor. Based on what has happened so far, we are not going to be able to rely on other teams taking a lot of points from Hamilton - and vice-versa - making the head-to-heads unquestionably even more vital. We have four opportunities to directly affect Hamilton's result and we simply have to take them, starting a week on Saturday. Until we prove that we have the ability to win the games that really matter, it is perfectly sensible to enjoy what has been on show whilst also retaining a degree of fair degree oi scepticism about how the manager and players - or at least those left over from last season - will perform when the pressure truly comes on top, as it will soon enough. Despite the proclamations of the Give Us the League Now brigade, no-one has proven anyone "wrong" yet.

7 minutes ago, AGPar said:

We have had as good a start to the league season as anyone could have realistically expected - perhaps even better. Recruitment looks, to date, to be excellent. But Hamilton at home on 7th October will be a true barometer of where we are and where we might be heading. Our record in this type of game has been absolutely pathetic for far, far, far too long - a record that obviously pre-dates McGlynn by a long way but which, last season, he came nowhere close to improving upon.

This is an incredibly weak league - Alloa are not as good as last season, QOS mediocre, Cove Rangers poor. Based on what has happened so far, we are not going to be able to rely on other teams taking a lot of points from Hamilton - and vice-versa - making the head-to-heads unquestionably even more vital. We have four opportunities to directly affect Hamilton's result and we simply have to take them, starting a week on Saturday. Until we prove that we have the ability to win the games that really matter, it is perfectly sensible to enjoy what has been on show whilst also retaining a degree of fair degree oi scepticism about how the manager and players - or at least those left over from last season - will perform when the pressure truly comes on top, as it will soon enough. Despite the proclamations of the Give Us the League Now brigade, no-one has proven anyone "wrong" yet.

Absolutely. If this was our first season down here and we were going toe-to-toe with Hamilton and got pipped at the end (and didn’t get through the play-offs), there would be a degree of goodwill.  Not this season though, glorious failures are banned!

10 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Got to be honest here I hadn’t realised that we had a “Give Us The League Now Brigade”.

I would say the overwhelming view is that we are playing great stuff but it is clearly going to be a two horse race for the title.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

You can poke holes at McGlynns perceived failings, such as not playing two upfront, giving extended deals to Allan / Nesbitt / McGinn or his failures to beat Dunfermline & Airdrie. 

But for me he has one major strength which outweighs everything else. 

He bought you a Christmas present? 😋

When McGlynn was appointed it was heralded as a two year project. After the Airdrie humiliation i was all for sacking him and stopped following the team until the season started. Pleasantly pleased and happy enough to resume season ticket holding

I still think it is a two year project and at the end of this season successful or not decisions need to be made. We must progress further than League One

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Got to be honest here I hadn’t realised that we had a “Give Us The League Now Brigade”.

I would say the overwhelming view is that we are playing great stuff but it is clearly going to be a two horse race for the title.

I've never noticed anyone saying that either. Maybe I've missed it though?

9 hours ago, AGPar said:

Despite the proclamations of the Give Us the League Now

Don’t think there is one supporter that thinks we’ve already wrapped up the league, however I do agree that many of last seasons teams look for some part, weakened. So far theres a level of excitement that’s been missing for five years and people are enjoying the ride so far. There’s absolutely no doubt that the players brought in pre-season are simply better that what’s been here. However it’s very early days, two very hard games coming up and as most have posted, we’ve shat these games for such a long time.