The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The challenge cup never used to take  precedence over league games apart from the final and never should but it's obvious that Doncaster's idiotic introduction of sides from Wales and Ireland means fixtures now gave to be played on a weekend. Absolute nonsense.

They wasted a perfectly good tournament, by bringing in B sides & foreign opponents.

Was just having a swatch through the other attendances from the weekend 

Raith Rovers vs Montrose 1,388
Peterhead vs Dundee Utd 1,352
Morton vs Kelty 1,056
QotS vs Arbroath 786
East Kilbride vs Hamilton 583
TNS vs East Fife 512

Around 40% below these teams average which our 2,427 would also tie in with. Time for the SPFL to admit the B-sides and Welsh/ NI teams have done nothing to add to the attractiveness of the tournament and scrap their participation from next season onwards. 

Should just be Champ, Leagues 1  & 2 along with the Highland and Lowland League champions to give 32 teams, rather than the 53 that currently compete 

52 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Time for the SPFL to admit the B-sides and Welsh/ NI teams have done nothing to add to the attractiveness of the tournament and scrap their participation from next season onwards. 

Should just be Champ, Leagues 1  & 2 along with the Highland and Lowland League champions to give 32 teams, rather than the 53 that currently compete 

Totally agree with this, I haven't attended a Challenge Cup game since their inclusion. Even on Saturday, to watch a game as a neutral, I went to Cumbernauld United rather than a Challenge Cup game.

For those who haven’t joined up, a message received earlier.

We’re now a widely fan-owned football club and as such we need to be able to compete against club’s owned by wealthy individuals, as we try to progress back to the Premiership. The only way we can do this as a fan-owned club is via fan-funding. The concept is simple; if we all contribute a little extra we can collectively become the equivalent of a large benefactor, allowing us to compete on a level playing field. And it needn’t cost any of us a fortune, far from it. We therefore write to ask you to consider directly supporting the football budget at Falkirk FC, if you aren’t already doing so.

We estimate that the club needs an extra £400,000 each year to become sustainably successful, by which we mean having the capability to reach then stay in the Premiership. This may seem like a scary number but with our large fan base it’s very achievable. For example, 2000 fans would only have to contribute an average of £3.85 extra per week. Obviously, the more fans who participate the lower the average contribution becomes - 2500 fans at £3.08 per week or 3000 fans at £2.57 per week and so on.

We have a large and incredibly loyal fan-base who have stuck with the club through thick and thin. Now that we are on our way back up again, we need you more than ever. Our ability to strengthen the squad in the January window could make all the difference in winning promotion this season. From January we’ll also need to turn our attention to next season, re-signing current players we wish to keep and approaching those we wish to recruit with pre-contract offers.

By deciding now to participate in fan-funding, you can help make a big difference to both our ability to get out of League One and in recruiting a squad capable of making a real challenge for the Championship title next season. Although we all hope it won’t happen, if we do end up in League One again next season, your contribution could help make the difference between full-time and part-time football. If you sign up by December 23 every £ pledged to May 24 will be made available to John in the January transfer window, and we’ll also have a clear picture of how much extra we can bake into the football budget for next season, enabling us to commit to new player contracts.

In the medium-term this will not only benefit the first team but also help grow the pool of modern apprentices. In the longer-term, it will enable us to fully rebuild the Academy back to previous levels.

Our club is currently in a good place, both on and off the pitch, but needs everyone to pull together to maintain and accelerate the progress made so far. The best way to achieve our goals is for all of us to support the fan-funding effort by joining the Falkirk Supporters’ Society. From just £10 per month (£2.30 pw) your subscription not only buys all the benefits of society membership, but also allows you to donate directly to the football budget.

All fans signing up by the end of December will have a huge impact, not only on the outcome of this season but also on our ability to plan for next season. Please support fan-funding by subscribing to the Falkirk Supporters’ Society today by clicking here .

Many Thanks,

Falkirk FC Board

Just to point out the above appeal is actually a call for an increase in individual monthly contributions - essentially £12 not the £10 asked for by FSS currently and since its inception. It may bring in some extra cash but its not going to fill the void of 400K - I hope people are considering alternatives already. Increased attendances and a cup run would help a lot but just asking the support for more will fail as I have said for months now.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

For those who haven’t joined up, a message received earlier.

We’re now a widely fan-owned football club and as such we need to be able to compete against club’s owned by wealthy individuals, as we try to progress back to the Premiership. The only way we can do this as a fan-owned club is via fan-funding. The concept is simple; if we all contribute a little extra we can collectively become the equivalent of a large benefactor, allowing us to compete on a level playing field. And it needn’t cost any of us a fortune, far from it. We therefore write to ask you to consider directly supporting the football budget at Falkirk FC, if you aren’t already doing so.

We estimate that the club needs an extra £400,000 each year to become sustainably successful, by which we mean having the capability to reach then stay in the Premiership. This may seem like a scary number but with our large fan base it’s very achievable. For example, 2000 fans would only have to contribute an average of £3.85 extra per week. Obviously, the more fans who participate the lower the average contribution becomes - 2500 fans at £3.08 per week or 3000 fans at £2.57 per week and so on.

We have a large and incredibly loyal fan-base who have stuck with the club through thick and thin. Now that we are on our way back up again, we need you more than ever. Our ability to strengthen the squad in the January window could make all the difference in winning promotion this season. From January we’ll also need to turn our attention to next season, re-signing current players we wish to keep and approaching those we wish to recruit with pre-contract offers.

By deciding now to participate in fan-funding, you can help make a big difference to both our ability to get out of League One and in recruiting a squad capable of making a real challenge for the Championship title next season. Although we all hope it won’t happen, if we do end up in League One again next season, your contribution could help make the difference between full-time and part-time football. If you sign up by December 23 every £ pledged to May 24 will be made available to John in the January transfer window, and we’ll also have a clear picture of how much extra we can bake into the football budget for next season, enabling us to commit to new player contracts.

In the medium-term this will not only benefit the first team but also help grow the pool of modern apprentices. In the longer-term, it will enable us to fully rebuild the Academy back to previous levels.

Our club is currently in a good place, both on and off the pitch, but needs everyone to pull together to maintain and accelerate the progress made so far. The best way to achieve our goals is for all of us to support the fan-funding effort by joining the Falkirk Supporters’ Society. From just £10 per month (£2.30 pw) your subscription not only buys all the benefits of society membership, but also allows you to donate directly to the football budget.

All fans signing up by the end of December will have a huge impact, not only on the outcome of this season but also on our ability to plan for next season. Please support fan-funding by subscribing to the Falkirk Supporters’ Society today by clicking here .

Many Thanks,

Falkirk FC Board

I don’t disagree with the sentiment but to be frank I sincerely hope the board do not seriously think 3000 fans being FSS members is a possibility.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I don’t disagree with the sentiment but to be frank I sincerely hope the board do not seriously think 3000 fans being FSS members is a possibility.

I still think there needs to be far more incentive than 'give us more cash and we'll buy some players with it'

Different tiers with different privileges. A bit like Patreon subsidising podcasts.

3 hours ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

Unfortunately a lot of the original guys behind the FSS are reasonably wealthy fans but not enough money to be the main man at the club. 

It doesn't look like the numbers being asked for are going to be achieved. We can't keep begging to the fans all the time, we've done our bit. 

Correct, I subscribe and tbh I'm getting fed up with the same thing being said. 

We need other investment.

6 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Correct, I subscribe and tbh I'm getting fed up with the same thing being said. 

We need other investment.

Having read the AGM notes carefully, I suspect this is the final push and if it fails then it won't be raised again. 

"At present it remains unclear how much appetite Falkirk fans have for making fan ownership work for our club. There’s clearly some appetite – around 15% of our core support is currently participating in fan-funding – and the club is hugely grateful to all fans who have supported the initiative so far. However, there’s no way of knowing whether we’ve now reached peak appetite or whether there’s still capacity for further growth. We must therefore use sign-ups between now and December as a gauge and plan accordingly going forward."

For me the last sentence is the crucial part. I read that as inferring that if the money raised by FSS doesn't increase significantly by the end of the year then the board will have to go down a different route. 

What route that will be remains unknown. I suspect the most likely options are seeking external investment, going part-time, approaching the former MSG or crossing our fingers and hoping that we get promotion this season. 

2 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

My reading of it is they are giving everyone as much chance as possible to support this so if it comes to the point they need to sell the club or bring in an investor (preferable option) the fanbase can’t turn round and say “why are you doing this”. The fans have had plenty of opportunity now 

Yip, there can be no moans and groans going forward if this fails and the club falls into the wrong hands like we have been in previous years. Don’t think the board or fans that are onboard with fan ownership can do anything more to get others involved.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

“2000 fans would only have to contribute an average of £3.85 extra per week”

Asking fans to contribute an extra £3.85 a week would be the equivalent of putting pay at the gate prices up to £31 or season tickets up by £200 - is this good value for money for league 1 football?

I’m getting sick fed up of the begging bowl coming out and the ordinary fan getting the blame for the issues. By buying a season ticket (and possibly merchandise or hospitality too) ordinary fans are doing more than enough. If the club can’t balance the books with our level of support it is the board's job to find investment elsewhere.

“Our club is currently in a good place, both on and off the pitch”

If this was the case we would have had 2 begging letters in the last week.

It feels very much like deflecting the blame to the fans so that directors can walk away and claim it is not their fault when financial difficulties arise in the near future.

44 minutes ago, Braes_Bairn said:

“2000 fans would only have to contribute an average of £3.85 extra per week”

Asking fans to contribute an extra £3.85 a week would be the equivalent of putting pay at the gate prices up to £31 or season tickets up by £200 - is this good value for money for league 1 football?

I’m getting sick fed up of the begging bowl coming out and the ordinary fan getting the blame for the issues. By buying a season ticket (and possibly merchandise or hospitality too) ordinary fans are doing more than enough. If the club can’t balance the books with our level of support it is the board's job to find investment elsewhere.

“Our club is currently in a good place, both on and off the pitch”

If this was the case we would have had 2 begging letters in the last week.

It feels very much like deflecting the blame to the fans so that directors can walk away and claim it is not their fault when financial difficulties arise in the near future.

If the maths are correct, the following numbers would indicate that we’ve had an increase of around ten fans since the last couple of press releases. 
If the BOD & FSS were relying solely on the fans getting behind fan ownership, hope there’s another plan in place. 

One week on from the manager and players signing up. This week, former Bairn, Tom Taiwo is supporting the FSS💪🏻

✅️780+ members
✅️110k+ per annum to Our Club

Thanks to all new members and our existing members who have increased contributions📈