The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The numbers are increasing 👍

It’s very positive and it’s great to see the jump in numbers. 
But to be brutally honest, a hundred or so additional numbers is very short on the numbers required addressing the current issues, ie players contracts, new recruits etc.

Maybe I’m way off mark but even with the positive news, we’ve not really changed the reality of where we are.

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It’s very positive and it’s great to see the jump in numbers. 
But to be brutally honest, a hundred or so additional numbers is very short on the numbers required addressing the current issues, ie players contracts, new recruits etc.

Maybe I’m way off mark but even with the positive news, we’ve not really changed the reality of where we are.

I genuinely don't think that the FSS will ever be in the position you describe and it's probably unfair to judge it like that.

If we've got a £400k shortfall per year and 843 FSS members are bringing in £120k a year then it's simply not possible to address it through the FSS alone where id imagine 1200 or so members is an achievable target longer term.

Instead I'd look at it as £120k+ extra going into the club every year from the people who care about it.

2 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I genuinely don't think that the FSS will ever be in the position you describe and it's probably unfair to judge it like that.

If we've got a £400k shortfall per year and 843 FSS members are bringing in £120k a year then it's simply not possible to address it through the FSS alone where id imagine 1200 or so members is an achievable target longer term.

Instead I'd look at it as £120k+ extra going into the club every year from the people who care about it.

We had it full on from the club that without the shortfall being addressed, we have serious issues with what I’ve mentioned. Like thousands of supporters who care about the club, the contributions from the 843 is brilliant. However, and after a brilliant start to this season, is there a plan B to address the current shortfall. 

38 minutes ago, Springfield said:

We had it full on from the club that without the shortfall being addressed, we have serious issues with what I’ve mentioned. Like thousands of supporters who care about the club, the contributions from the 843 is brilliant. However, and after a brilliant start to this season, is there a plan B to address the current shortfall. 

If we don’t get promoted which in itself would make up said shortfall then plan B is to cut our cloth accordingly meaning most likely cutting a big chunk from the playing budget. That is the plan B, the club have been crystal clear on this, the more the FSS grows will directly influence how drastic that worse case scenario may or may not be. (unless of course a billionaire strolls in looking to bankroll the club as every fan of every club sometimes dreams of but unfortunately as in real life not everyone can win the lottery!)

Edited by LatapyBairn.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Screenshot_20231103_211037_X.thumb.jpg.079a0ecda63fdb7a15f8799395e4e64e.jpg

Interesting. Does this mean he's retiring from football or will this be on tip if playing with Falkirk?

Either way, delighted to have Stevie back  a genuine, bonafide club legend.

Surley he is retiring from playing then? Cant be collecting a wage from both clubs and to be honest the money spent on his salary we could better utilise elsewhere if St Mirren would take him off our hands. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 minute ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Surley he is retiring from playing then? Cant be collecting a wage from both clubs and to be honest the money spent on his salary we could better utilise elsewhere if St Mirren would take him off our hands. 

If he's badly injured and moving into coaching, it makes sense on all fronts. It ended badly for him last time when Goodwin done a Goodwin and decided he couldn't be having senior players at the club influencing others and moved him on.

5 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Surley he is retiring from playing then? Can be collecting a wage from both clubs and to be honest the money spent on his salary we could better utilise elsewhere if St Mirren would take him off our hands. 

Aye nothing against him at all but he's probably on a decent wage and with everyone fit he would be our 4th choice CM behind Spencer, Henderson and Yeats.

If he's got himself another gig for the next stage of his career and we can reuse his wage for a January signing then it's a win for everyone 

Edited by ilostmyself

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Screenshot_20231103_211037_X.thumb.jpg.079a0ecda63fdb7a15f8799395e4e64e.jpg

Interesting. Does this mean he's retiring from football or will this be on tip if playing with Falkirk?

Either way, delighted to have Stevie back  a genuine, bonafide club legend.

Good luck to him, was good for us last season but was really struggling at the start of the season. If he is gone it might free up some wages to bring someone in during the January window to help with the promotion push.

17 minutes ago, Springfield said:

The only guy to turn up and care with an outstanding performance in the no show ICT semi final, all the very best.

Player who when fit was a hundred percenter 

Going by Twitter, it’s looks like he’s already there.  As said wishing the guy all the very best and Saints and the U16 have got a hellava guy. 

McGinn is a huge loss, but we already lost him. It was clear in July that he was no longer able to reach the levels needed. So with that said, he goes with my best wishes and if we can use his wages in January it's a bit of a result tbh. 

Would have had no issue or moan with paying him to the end of the season but this sounds best for all. 

50 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Going by Twitter, it’s looks like he’s already there.  As said wishing the guy all the very best and Saints and the U16 have got a hellava guy. 

Jamie Swinney just replied on twitter to say he is still with us but starting some part time coaching in the evenings. Best of luck to him, always thought he had a good football brain and would make a good coach so if this is the start of that transition wish him the best of luck 👍

9 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Jamie Swinney just replied on twitter to say he is still with us but starting some part time coaching in the evenings. Best of luck to him, always thought he had a good football brain and would make a good coach so if this is the start of that transition wish him the best of luck 👍

As said, and confirmed that’s he’s accepted a role with saints, he should be relieved from his contract as quickly as possible. Once you accept a role/position outwith your employer, for me he should be released without fail. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

McGinn is a huge loss, but we already lost him. It was clear in July that he was no longer able to reach the levels needed. So with that said, he goes with my best wishes and if we can use his wages in January it's a bit of a result tbh. 

Would have had no issue or moan with paying him to the end of the season but this sounds best for all. 

Thankfully we have more leaders this season like Donaldson, Lang and Spencer.

McGinn could have done a job coming off the bench for the last 20/30 but he’s not been seen since July? Good luck to him but between this and doing media work I can’t see him being around much longer. If his wages are written off by both sides it would ideal and give us more cash for January.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

As said, and confirmed that’s he’s accepted a role with saints, he should be relieved from his contract as quickly as possible. Once you accept a role/position outwith your employer, for me he should be released without fail. 

Have to disagree with this. He's coaching kids and from two leagues above us. Guys 35 and planning for his future. I'm sure he's eager to get back and have a proper send off by helping us to win this league. One of the good guys imo.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Not sure a couple hours coaching in the evening per week would replace the full time salary he is contracted and entitled to. Would be nice to get the wage but highly doubt it will happen unless he is intending to go full time with coaching elsewhere. Not sure about football contracts but it seems fairly normal to pick up a part time job alongside a full time one for many people so can't see it being a good reason to terminate a contract either