The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Did you manage to download or print them when you received the acknowledgement email ?  I’ve nothing when I hit the link

It’s paper tickets only to be collected at the club shop, AFAIK. I think the email received acts as your receipt with reference number, for when you pick it up at the shop.

2 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

The club’s online ticketing portal needs throwing in the bin, and start again. Having to buy one ticket at a time to cover a  group of friends all season ticket holders linked on profile. 

Physical tickets from the ticket office would solve that.

14 hours ago, Latapy is god said:

All this chat about players contracts however I've yet to see anything mentioned about our current management team who are also out of contract in the summer.   Guessing the bar will be whether they get club promoted or not.

If we don't go up this season I think they'll be away aswell. I don't see any other outcome if that were to happen. 

Going to be an interesting window coming up. For the first January in a long time our squad doesn’t actually need a major overhaul.

Hopefully we finally get Brad McKay out the door and possibly a bit of tweaking with loans in and out but in all honesty, if the window closes and we still have our first 16 in tact we’d probably take that. 

If we win our next game that gives us a 2.6 points average per game. If we were to replicate that in the second half of the season that would give us a 92 point total. Dunfermline finished on 81 last season. Obviously, it would be really hard to keep this up and we have only played cove once. However, it really does put into perspective just how good we’ve been this season! 

7 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

If we don't go up this season I think they'll be away aswell. I don't see any other outcome if that were to happen. 

Mcglynns record this season won't go unseen by other clubs.  Let's hope the club don't leave an enhanced contract offer too late thus leaving it risky for another club to snoop in.

43 minutes ago, Latapy is god said:

Mcglynns record this season won't go unseen by other clubs.  Let's hope the club don't leave an enhanced contract offer too late thus leaving it risky for another club to snoop in.

43 minutes ago, Latapy is god said:

Our current situation doesn’t lend well on many fronts from a financial perspective. Like many I would have loved to hear some positive information from the BOD on investment from new/current/external investors, but approaching half time in league fixtures, and five points clear the silence is deafening. Maybe there’s an announcement coming soon, however fearing there’s a big fat zero. Let’s face it, we’re probably witnessing the best, strongest and most exciting first 11 in years, hoping this continues….

55 minutes ago, Latapy is god said:

True, but we’ve won nothing yet and are still less than a year after an AGM that told us the club had nearly gone kaput. Things are going exceptionally well on the park and the commercial operation is thriving, as is FSS cash. But we aren’t out the foothills yet.

As much as every lack of a contract offer feels like a risk if we lose good people, each one would be a millstone round our neck if things don’t work out as planned. Really fine balance. 

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Like many I would have loved to hear some positive information from the BOD on investment from new/current/external investors, but approaching half time in league fixtures, and five points clear the silence is deafening.

The impression I've always had right from day one is that the only investment is from the fans. Not unless someone external wants to join up, donate some cash and do it without getting a majority shareholding in return. 

The only alternative is to abandon the current ownership model. I assume that idea has no support from the fanbase given that there's no clamour for it, almost a thousand people are currently backing the status quo with monthly donations and the only negative voices are a few anonymous posters on here. 

I'd hope the BOD have a Plan B if things go badly in May. As the alternative might be part-time football next season. But right now, when the team are doing so well and giving us all hope, I'm not sure why you're expecting investment news. The owners - the fans - are already investing what they can. 

12 hours ago, Springfield said:

Our current situation doesn’t lend well on many fronts from a financial perspective. Like many I would have loved to hear some positive information from the BOD on investment from new/current/external investors, but approaching half time in league fixtures, and five points clear the silence is deafening. Maybe there’s an announcement coming soon, however fearing there’s a big fat zero. Let’s face it, we’re probably witnessing the best, strongest and most exciting first 11 in years, hoping this continues….

I don't think the silence is deafening, inasmuch as no-one is expecting anything other than a continuation of the policy of fan funding/investment.  There are occasional rumours of new investors coming in and it's any board's job to continue to seek that in the club's best interests, but not sure any of them have been backed up.  I don't think the idea of a new large shareholder coming in partnership with the other two legs is as far-fetched as some do.  They'd need to acquire a fair chunk of the largest individual shareholders' holdings, which would eat up some cash before it came into the club.  So they might see it as a soft entry into the game working with the grain of an engaged fan base who are continuing to invest.  That might filter out some of undesirables naturally.

For this season looking to funding next, it's a cocktail of increasing commercial, gate and FSS income, cup runs, and any transfer windfall.  Will that be enough?  Much will rest on whether or not we're promoted, but it's still not as black-and-white as relying on the mythical sugar daddy.

FWIW, I think the club’s done an excellent job in improving fortunes dramatically in around 1.5 seasons as at today. Naturally, fans thoughts will turn to off-field issues with things going so well on the pitch. The board have made some appeals in the last few months to increase FSS subs through their newsletters, highlighting the funds will go to McGlynn’s budget. Since then we have extended Ethan Ross’s loan and signed Ryan Shanley, using that very cash, and which was acknowledged by the BODs and McGlynn himself. We’re running a very tight ship just now and the formula is working, and I for one don’t want to rock the boat, hoping we can get through January strengthened and not weakened squad-wise.. Should we be promoted the league prize money alone would go a long way to easing the burden of our annual running deficit, which Swinney often highlights (plug the gap!). If the gap was plugged with some league cash, then funds raised commercially or via FSS can be re-distributed elsewhere, eg for the Academy or infrastructure improvements or a bigger player budget. If we were to go up, I’d also like to think there are some sponsors and/or investors sitting on the fence with money to join in our success(?). A lot rides on us getting up and I don’t want to think about the outcome if we don’t.

I studied this at Uni as it happens, it was a while ago I have to admit. Third party money injections from what are laughingly called benefactors, or sugar daddies, are nothing more than a bailout mechanism for otherwise inefficient and more than likely insolvent clubs. There are models from academics available on the internet that consider the adverse effects produced by sugar daddy funding. In non academic language it makes clubs lazy and even more inefficient. These studies also show that a culture of risk taking comes to the fore, usually excessive risk taking.  There is also a trend that a private sugar daddy bails out the club much less often than a broader ownership model. Football is littered with rich benefactors throwing their money around for short term benefit but calamity thereafter - Gretna, Hearts, Motherwell, Rangers to name a few, with the experience in England much worse in terms of risks taken, making Rangers debts look small by comparison.

The only people who care about the club are the fans, and I mean really care and will still support the club all their lives.  I see the odd post on here about external investment and the bod being 'silent', that can only be because the people asking the questions weren't at the last 2 agm's or the FSS meeting in behind the goals a month or so back. They said they have a mandate for this model and if it needs to be changed they will come back to the shareholders for consultation first and maybe even approval of something different at an AGM or EGM. I've no idea what the current thinking is but ffs they are 2 years into a major rebuild and any person with real business experience knows that there are no magic wands, it takes hard work, sound decision making, time and money.

Mentioning behind the goals earlier made me look it up at companies house out of curiosity and this really took me by surprise , WTF is one former director still doing involved at the club?

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 11.37.57.png

11 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The impression I've always had right from day one is that the only investment is from the fans. Not unless someone external wants to join up, donate some cash and do it without getting a majority shareholding in return. 

The only alternative is to abandon the current ownership model. I assume that idea has no support from the fanbase given that there's no clamour for it, almost a thousand people are currently backing the status quo with monthly donations and the only negative voices are a few anonymous posters on here. 

I'd hope the BOD have a Plan B if things go badly in May. As the alternative might be part-time football next season. But right now, when the team are doing so well and giving us all hope, I'm not sure why you're expecting investment news. The owners - the fans - are already investing what they can. 

Aye, what really tends to annoy me is folk alluding to the possibility that the BOD are somehow being neglectful in not bringing in external investment. It's not like there's a queue of millionaires at the door waiting to invest! 

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, what really tends to annoy me is folk alluding to the possibility that the BOD are somehow being neglectful in not bringing in external investment. It's not like there's a queue of millionaires at the door waiting to invest! 

I think there’s also a consideration that people are more likely to invest when we are more successful. I think it’s more likely that we will get interested parties IF we get promoted. The prospect of getting us into the Premiership from the Championship will certainly be more appealing than a Club languishing in the ‘seaside league’ for 5 seasons plus……