The Falkirk FC Thread

11 hours ago, Shabba said:

I can’t really see him going to Northern Ireland. The top two teams are Linfield and Larne who have a cast of ex lower Championship and league one players from Scotland. The wages don’t seem to be life changing. Is it worth uprooting to Belfast for one potential champions league qualifier match? He’s got a young family to consider. I’d be really surprised if he chose that move. He could easily go to lower league in England and earn a couple of grand a week which could well be life changing for him. He deserves a decent move and I hope he’s being advised accordingly. The similar situation was Declan MacManus, he was offered £3k a week to go to Wales, he was never going to be able to turn that down

Larne signed Andy Ryan this time last year from Accies paying £3k a week wages straight from their wealthy Owner with the attraction of a potential League title and European football,so perhaps this may be the scenario here?

I see Raith have launched an FSS style fan membership scheme (maybe without the board representation?)

296 members paying £20 a month and 55 paying £12 a month. Impressive numbers I must say, shows what can happen on the crest of a wave 

3 hours ago, BPM Again said:

This post comes for complete ignorance of the Academy and it boils my piss. It takes no account  of the changes we went through and where it was going when it was closed. The same bilge that was talked by those who were behind the decision to close it. Which has set our club back at least five years.

All the early recruits to the first team came about when it was the Falkirk Academy. When it was changed to the Forth Valley and we were forced into bed with the other local clubs by the SFA and directors who saw it as a way to save a few quid, many parents took the best kids elsewhere.  That took a bit of recovering from, but confidence was rebuilt and at the time we closed it we had amongst the best 13 and 14 year olds in the country. 
So much so there are 13/14 of those players now with senior contracts. The likes of Kai Fotheringham for example. 
The other bit this “focus” on the first team misses is that when a young kid comes through the academy he is on washers (a fact quickly lost on those who closed it) rather than throwing stupid cash at the bilge we had to endure in recent seasons. 
Youth development takes time and investment but done well we have proven in the past it produces results and finance.

We are rebuilding it gradually which is right but if the Board decided to divert more cash that way once we move up from this hell hole I would be very supportive. It is a revenue stream we cut off and was a disgraceful decision. 

I think once we get into the championship the funding coming into the club will need to be reviewed and decisions made.

I would imagine most fans would like to see more investment eventually returning the academy to past glories so as long as we are financially stable in the championship that should be a goal. 

It's been discussed on the forum before and I can only speak for myself but once the club is on an even keel the idea is using the FSS contributions for the academy would be grand to me and others I suspect.

I think that would depend the connection with the club and the youngsters coming though and there would be plenty of commitment to that. 

Every time one of the laddies broke into the team people would be happy to see what's been accomplished and any time one of them was sold people would be seeing their donations multiplied and I think would be happy with that. 

8 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Launched 3 months ago bairn and today currently has 351 members

Well done, fans owning, funding and having more influence over the clubs they support is definitely the way forward at this level in Scottish football, it’s certainly the major reason we have seen a turnaround at Falkirk both on and off the park. Those are impressive initial membership numbers, what kind of shareholding has the group been able to purchase with that so far and what is the target? And does the group elect representatives/directors to the clubs board to act on the wider memberships behalf? Curious as to how other fan ownership set ups work. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

LatapyBairn

Its a funding group/club as opposed to fan ownership,buying shares etc

Its more a supporters fund 

Your subscription will play a significant role in enhancing our football operations, whether that means contributing towards recruitment, expanded data analysis resources, or creating a better environment at Stark’s Park for the squad.

Eg Contributions so far have helped towards a new gym and 600 new stand seats to replace broken ones

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Having an academy doesn't automatically mean having a successful academy.  Will be hard to get something brand new back up to the standards we saw with the initial Falkirk Academy and won't happen quickly. 

Would like to see us try though agree this should only happen when we can do it and still be financially stable. 

The recent youngsters that have come through the new youth teams have looked a million miles off ever becoming first team regulars which shows it can't be done more cheaply easily either.  

20 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

LatapyBairn

Your subscription will play a significant role in enhancing our football operations, whether that means contributing towards recruitment, expanded data analysis resources, or creating a better environment at Stark’s Park for the squad.

Eg Contributions so far have helped towards a new gym and 600 new stand seats to replace broken ones

Makes your initial numbers even more impressive. 

12 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Having an academy doesn't automatically mean having a successful academy.  Will be hard to get something brand new back up to the standards we saw with the initial Falkirk Academy and won't happen quickly. 

Would like to see us try though agree this should only happen when we can do it and still be financially stable. 

The recent youngsters that have come through the new youth teams have looked a million miles off ever becoming first team regulars which shows it can't be done more cheaply easily either.  

I was actually quite impressed with Walker, Honymoon and then Carrol before them. Think the first two definitely have a chance, the valuable games they’re now getting on loan will surely help kick them on. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

57 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Can't agree with that bit. Honeyman and Walker have both shown up well in their cameos, and Carroll was excellent in the game time that he had.

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

They may not be ready to be regulars but I trust McGlynn’s judgement. The year they are all spending on loan will do them the world of good

2 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

LatapyBairn

Yeah more akin to our 1876 club or the old bairn forever group  than FSS as there are no shares involved and there is no chance to actually influence the running of the club which is a shame. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Can't agree with that bit. Honeyman and Walker have both shown up well in their cameos, and Carroll was excellent in the game time that he had.

I thought Pearse Carroll was gallus as f*ck for us when he played, confidence beyond his years. I know that he had personal issues but I would have loved us to have kept his registration and maybe loaned him out to a non-SPFL club nearer his family and home until he felt mentally fit to return to us.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

4 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I thought Pearse Carroll was gallus as f*ck for us when he played, confidence beyond his years. I know that he had personal issues but I would have loved us to have kept his registration and maybe loaned him out to a non-SPFL club nearer his family and home until he felt mentally fit to return to us.

I was told of some of the issues the lad and the club had. I don’t want to break confidences but it clarified for me why he had to leave. Terrible shame as he was a real talent. 

6 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

He's back in football. It was announced by Whitburn Juniors about a week ago that he'd signed for them. 

7 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Yeah more akin to our 1876 club or the old bairn forever group  than FSS as there are no shares involved and there is no chance to actually influence the running of the club which is a shame. 

I've seen snippets of unverified numbers of their increase in revenues since the new group took over at Starks and although this model doesn't afford them a shareholding it does show the effect that engagement, what seems like good governance in the boardroom, results and clear vision can do for a football club.