The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, ShaggerG said:

So how do you know that he's not as good as he was when he left sevco then?

I don't..it's a natural assumption that an older player playing in a lesser league is on the wind down...I just don't think we need to attempt to solve a problem we don't have by bringing back a club legend 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

I don't..it's a natural assumption that an older player playing in a lesser league is on the wind down...I just don't think we need to attempt to solve a problem we don't have by bringing back a club legend 

Would you take Arfield before McGinn, Oliver and Lawal?

I genuinely think there are posters on here offering an opinion of Latapy that were not around to see him play. Otherwise how else could you explain the ludicrous points that they are coming up with. I thought id seen everything on here…

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

WHIT

The point I am making is that you need the right type of player, not just talented players.

We have a perfect example of it this season in McIvor, slated by some on here when he signed, before he even kicked a ball.

Is burrell a more clinical goal scorer? Yes, that's why he's going to finish the season with the golden boot, but playing for a team 25 points behind us in the league so I'd rather have Mcivors less goals and league winners medal.

The same goes for Allan, loads of guys championing him and he might be a more natural finisher as well, but does anyone believe we'd be 11 points clear if he had been leading the line all season in this formation? 

I'll take a less talented square peg for a square hole before a talented round peg that doesn't fit.

Arfield might still be great, but is it worth bringing him in, using a huge chunk of our budget and benching Brad Spencer for a year, one of our more talented players at the peak of his career?

You have to bring in players that fit your system and address your most important gaps first, that starts with an experienced keeper next season, football is no place for nostalgia transfers. 

12 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I genuinely think there are posters on here offering an opinion of Latapy that were not around to see him play. Otherwise how else could you explain the ludicrous points that they are coming up with. I thought id seen everything on here…

Latapy was a genuine footballing genius... anyone who enjoyed the latter stages of his career for us must agree with this...it's utterly unarguable 

1 minute ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Latapy was a genuine footballing genius... anyone who enjoyed the latter stages of his career for us must agree with this...it's utterly unarguable 

He was phenomenal, one of the best players on the ball that's ever been at the club.

Obviously not really relevant to the Arfield chat as the guy must be in his 50s now so not like he might rock up at the stadium with his boots next year. 

5 minutes ago, Forever Falkirk said:

Not to sound a bit odd but every time hamilton lose I watch his videos to see his facial expressions for entertainment.

I admire the bloke. Apart from after the Annan game where if i was him i would not have commented either he has watched some complete drivel and kept confident. I dont think i could do that

6 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I admire the bloke. Apart from after the Annan game where if i was him i would not have commented either he has watched some complete drivel and kept confident. I dont think i could do that

I’ve got respect for the guy he’s just trying to make some entertainment for his rather upset fanbase but it is rather funny.

5 hours ago, GMBairn said:

The point I am making is that you need the right type of player, not just talented players.

We have a perfect example of it this season in McIvor, slated by some on here when he signed, before he even kicked a ball.

Is burrell a more clinical goal scorer? Yes, that's why he's going to finish the season with the golden boot, but playing for a team 25 points behind us in the league so I'd rather have Mcivors less goals and league winners medal.

The same goes for Allan, loads of guys championing him and he might be a more natural finisher as well, but does anyone believe we'd be 11 points clear if he had been leading the line all season in this formation? 

I'll take a less talented square peg for a square hole before a talented round peg that doesn't fit.

Arfield might still be great, but is it worth bringing him in, using a huge chunk of our budget and benching Brad Spencer for a year, one of our more talented players at the peak of his career?

You have to bring in players that fit your system and address your most important gaps first, that starts with an experienced keeper next season, football is no place for nostalgia transfers. 

I agree on the nostalgia bit but Arfield would slot perfectly into the number 10 role. I made the point earlier that of course you would take him if the manager wanted him but I would certainly not bust any wage structure for him. 

Is there any basis for the Arfield discussion? Take it he has mentioned he might want to finish his career at Falkirk at some point?

I'm open minded about Arfield, I really don't know enough about his fitness/age etc. However, if he is fit and has the desire and we can get access to a top class player, who purely because he has an affinity with the club that there is no other way we would have had access to (wage wise, skill wise, competition from other clubs etc), then it should be considered.

I concur with others though that this shouldn't be at the expense of ruining existing club harmony, wage structures etc.

I still think getting an experienced keeper is the number 1 priority for next season. I'm happy with Hogarth as No2, he's young and will get better with age and experience.

13 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Anyone else getting tired of typing IF we go up...with every post?

Why bother? It's done. Everyone knows it's done. I don't think our players are scouring P&B to become complacent because some random like me says the league is done. 

It's pretty similar to last season. When we lost that Dunfermline away game the league race died. That's what Saturday was.

I'm in two minds about this squad. I'd like to think it would be competitive at the top half as is but that's probably wishful thinking. 

What our ambitions are for next season are interesting too. Its likely to be the weakest Championship for a long time if DU go up. But for a promoted team to go up and win it? That's a big ask. 

Interesting summer recruitment ahead. Keeping Calvin Miller seems important to me. And finding an actual goalkeeper or two is a priority. 

I'm assuming Morrison will leave. If he does good luck to him. He's contributed massively this season and owes us nothing.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021