The Falkirk FC Thread

Not much shocks you these days when it comes to headline v content, so I clicked on that expecting a whole load of nothing. Got to the line and burst out laughing. Fair play John. f**k knows what yer meaning is but I almost spat beer out 🤣

McGlynn's comments are disingenuous too. Callum Morrison didn't resign with us because he likes Fergus the Fox.

We've multiple Championship level signings with salaries to match. Spencer, Lang, Donaldson, Morrison, Nesbitt etc. 

Our budget will be very competitive in this league. Airdrie finished in the playoffs last year with unquestionably a smaller budget than ours. And that was with Dundee Utd in the division.

I get the frustration that you can't go and bring in 2 or 3 more but that's the reality of being fan owned. 

You cannot blame the club or commercial staff for the money they are bringing into the club. If a dog managed to get into the ground and curled out a turd I’ve a feeling the commercial team could get the turd sponsorship.

Every email you get from the club is pushing you in the direction of spending or donating more cash in one way or another. These folks are working their socks off and doing a great job.

I wouldn’t look too much into John’s comments. He maybe feels a couple of additions could see us right up there but I’m sure he appreciates that fan ownership has limitations on what can be spent. 

One this is certain we fans are backing the club to the hilt just now. I’ve just spent the best part of £400 on two sponsorship visits and will probs do more games. Plus FSS, 1876 draw, three season tickets, merchandise. We are all doing our bit to give as much as we can.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Out of interest - have we ever had someone who could be considered a “sugar daddy” in the mould of what some people think we can get?

The entry fee for any investor would be in the region of £800k (assuming 25% and last season’ share price).  I wonder who’d be up for that. 

ETA: obvs other ways to cut the cake but that’d still be the commitment. 

Edited by StuartA

I remember Keith Gourlay and the late Gordon Wright on the FD podcast late last season. Gordon lays bare McGlynn in 30 seconds. 

We've made 4 new signings and managed to get numerous players to sign new contracts who could have easily walked away at the end of last season. I'm extremely happy with the business done this summer. If we do manage to get 1 or 2 loan signings from here we go into the season in good season to compete closer to the top than the relegation area. What's not to be happy about that?

Mcglynn has stated since about March that he would only be looking to add “1 or 2 players” to the group. He’s signed Sneddon and McKenna, plus securing Ross and tait. Surprised to hear him now moaning about budgets. Even if the money was there who did he want to sign? 

Just now, Big chungus said:

Mcglynn has stated since about March that he would only be looking to add “1 or 2 players” to the group. He’s signed Sneddon and McKenna, plus securing Ross and tait. Surprised to hear him now moaning about budgets. Even if the money was there who did he want to sign? 

Harry Stone

I get that the board don't want to risk chasing the dream and over spending, but I was a bit surprised that McGlynn was already taking about budgets being spent in mid July. I did think we would have been looking at another striker and CH coming in. 

23 minutes ago, Albert Beale said:

I get that the board don't want to risk chasing the dream and over spending, but I was a bit surprised that McGlynn was already taking about budgets being spent in mid July. I did think we would have been looking at another striker and CH coming in. 

Not sure what difference it makes which month it is. Surely if a manager is given X amount to sign or re-sign players he knows how much he has and plans accordingly? He said all along we’d go with a squad of around 20 senior players plus apprentices and that’s what we have? Surely to have all our business done early is a positive? We’ll also most likely bring in at least one other on loan to supplement before the window closes. To my eyes we have a bloody good squad that will have come to a higher cost overall than what at least half of the other clubs in this division are spending on players, that’s pretty good going considering where we have come from. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 hour ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Maybe it's my naivety, but I took the "can't be playing silly buggers" to be an acknowledgment that the board can't be fooling around with the budget and overspending. 

That’s how I read it too. 

23 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Not sure what difference it makes which month it is. Surely if a manager is given X amount to sign or re-sign players he knows how much he has and plans accordingly? He said all along we’d go with a squad of around 20 senior players plus apprentices and that’s what we have? Surely to have all our business done early is a positive? We’ll also most likely bring in at least one other on loan to supplement before the window closes. To my eyes we have a bloody good squad that will have come to a higher cost overall than what at least half of the other clubs in this division are spending on players, that’s pretty good going considering where we have come from. 

Just didn't think the squad was complete by that time and then with a few injuries for the league cup we have been scrambling to put a defence together and we would be fucked if McIvor gets injured. We were pretty lucky with injuries last season. Having to play Miller at LB and McIvor at CH has probably led to McGlynn dropping in budgets into interviews again.

Happy with the squad overall, but expected a striker and CH.

I'm also still a bit puzzled to know where all our money goes tbf. No matter how many seasons we sell (with top ups), merchandise sales through the roof and every bit of the club sponsored we still seem skint or is that just a myth?? 

38 minutes ago, Albert Beale said:

Just didn't think the squad was complete by that time and then with a few injuries for the league cup we have been scrambling to put a defence together and we would be fucked if McIvor gets injured. We were pretty lucky with injuries last season. Having to play Miller at LB and McIvor at CH has probably led to McGlynn dropping in budgets into interviews again.

Happy with the squad overall, but expected a striker and CH.

Mcglynn singed 2 strikers in Oliver and Shanley so must have thought them quite adequate or he could easily have chosen to spend the money elsewhere, he also singed or re-singed 5 players that can play centre half position (we only need two at any one time) so the same applies there. I also would not describe 4 (from a squad of 20) players who all happen to play or cover the centre half position being out at the same time as being just “a few injuries” I’d say that’s pretty fucking unlucky to be honest. I’d also wager a lot of money at least one other player will arrive on loan in the same way two did last season before the transfer window closed despite McGlynn also telling us then he’d spent all his budget.

Edited by LatapyBairn.

11 minutes ago, Albert Beale said:

I'm also still a bit puzzled to know where all our money goes tbf. No matter how many seasons we sell (with top ups), merchandise sales through the roof and every bit of the club sponsored we still seem skint or is that just a myth?? 

Club accounts are published every year and the finances have never been more transparent. Define skint? It’s not how I’d describe the club at the moment but maybe you have a different definition of the term? By comparison Livingston were just handed around 2 million in prize money, we were handed 110k. I’d say to have put together a budget close to that of clubs with such a financial advantage is good going. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

There is a real panic over nothing here.

its the managers job to want more resources to improve the squad today.  It’s the boards job to look after the long term and strike the appropriate balance.  There’s no acrimony here, John’s long enough in the tooth to be making light of it and the board are confident enough in themselves to do what is right