The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I take your point, I really do, but we’ve got 9 really talented players to fill 6 positions. If you just roll out the same XI every week, then the three you’re leaving out (for argument’s sake: Yeats, Donaldson and Mackie) will get pissed off and ask to leave.

One of the ways you maintain depth is to share out the minutes. Obviously you can’t do that there’s a major talent drop off, but I don’t see that with our squad.

Competition for places is a nice problem. Players with the jersey well motivated to hang onto it, those on the sideline busting a gut to exploit the chance when they get.

Which leads to the question does McGlynn need cover at centre back after all? If not, do the two anticipated loan signings be a Midfield enforcer and cover for McIvor.

I still think mcglynn will start the season with the  players he can from last season.  That would be a back 4 of Mackie, Donaldson, Henderson and Yeats against queens park.  I just feel he's the kind of manager that will go with the tried and trusted early doors.

31 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I take your point, I really do, but we’ve got 9 really talented players to fill 6 positions. If you just roll out the same XI every week, then the three you’re leaving out (for argument’s sake: Yeats, Donaldson and Mackie) will get pissed off and ask to leave.

One of the ways you maintain depth is to share out the minutes. Obviously you can’t do that there’s a major talent drop off, but I don’t see that with our squad.

I get your point, however, how often did Mcglynn actually rotate the starting 11 in the league last season? Mcglynn, the players, and the fans all knew what our strongest starting 11 was. In the league, that best XI only really ever changed due to  injuries or suspensions. Edinburgh city game aside, which subsequently never happened again. For sure though, he’ll rotate for some cup games.

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I still think mcglynn will start the season with the  players he can from last season.  That would be a back 4 of Mackie, Donaldson, Henderson and Yeats against queens park.  I just feel he's the kind of manager that will go with the tried and trusted early doors.

In terms of yeats, I agree with this and hope this is what he does. As brilliant as Adam's has been yeats has done absolutely nothing wrong and been part of an invincible winning team. He won't and shouldn't drop him. Adams will rightly get plenty of opportunities at both right back and centre back. 

We are in an excellent position with competition at right back, left back and centre half and that's before Lang gets back fit.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

As much as we all rate McCann, it been documented that McGlynn has been absolutely choking to get Mackie in at left-back since he signed. Even though McCann had a decent season in 22/23, Mackie started at left-back in last years group stages until he got injured after two games and by the time he got back, Leon was undroppable. It’s been his turn to be injured this summer and it’s Mackies spot to lose, and if he starts the season well I can see Leon warming the bench for a few weeks. That competition is good to have though. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

3 hours ago, BPM said:

If he says he has no more money to spend and gets rid of Allan it tells me he had to get shot to get back into line. It looks pretty obvious to me. 

Or he’s had to get shot of Allan to free up some funds to bring in a loan player 

Time will tell

Just now, Harry Kinnear said:

Who do we fancy in the draw today? I’m hoping for a home draw or looking at it financially either of the arse cheeks away.

St Johnstone or Hibs at home 

We will get one of the seeded teams so let’s get Rangers at home ( not at Hampden where we will be behind the goals and see nothing). Take the money with an outside chance of a win while they are in transition. 

Just seen the seeding and we can’t get St Johnstone

So Seeds

Celtic

Rangers

Hearts

Kilmarnock

Mirren

Dundee

Aberdeen

Ross County

Non Seeds

Hibs

Falkirk

St Johstone

Spartans

Motherwell/Partick Thistle

Airdrie

Queen's Park

Dundee United

so we are getting one of the eight seeded teams.

Edited by Harry Kinnear