The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, BPM said:

I have not seen nearly enough of him to properly make my mind up. Because you think as you do doesn’t mean it is factual. You may well be right but because he had a shocker at Ochilview doesn’t mean he isn’t capable. Give him 2/3 games now and see where it takes us.

Not just basing it on one game- I don’t think he has played particularly well other than up at Montrose.

No manager in world football gets every signing right and it is not a criticism of McGlynn to suggest that this one hasn’t worked out.

For me Oliver is the much more experienced option and has to start.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 hours ago, BPM said:

McKenna played at the weekend due to his size IMO. 

Christ shanley won more headers in the short period he was on the park than McKenna did in his 67 mins. In fact I can't remember McKenna winning one ball in the air. Didn't look comfortable up there at all. To me he looks more suited to a number 8 roles these days.

The unbeaten run has ended and what an experience for the current generation of Falkirk Supporters that lived through it.

It would be fitting if the club was to open an archive so the support can put on record an experience, a moment that stood out in this historical achievement. It would be a source for future generations of support to hear the words of the witnesses.

Can you imagine if such a thing had been done when Falkirk won the cup in 1913 and 1957.

On another matter, the team is still unbeaten at home and 15 odd games from being unbeaten in the league at TFS for 2 seasons. It's a new objective for the club and support aim for and get behind.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It needs to be Stanley. Oliver is not good enough to play in the position we need to fill.

Now, I’m not saying Shanley is either but we’ve left ourselves very, very light on decent options.

We were very poor on Saturday without MacIver but by the Ayr game, the management team will have had 2 weeks to find a solution - given they’ve chosen not to use the loan market they’ve obviously found that solution within the current squad and have earned the right to implement that solution.

Let’s just hope it works as our next 2 games are home games against the 2 teams closest to us in the league table.

I think we should go with Stanley too. Oliver's too fat to get around the pitch effectively IMO. This is obviously another fine mess that McGlynn has got us into though!

6 hours ago, BPM said:

Imagine questioning McGlynn and his ability to build a squad after the last two years! I said all summer it was the ONLY place we looked light, even when there was a clamour for CH’s I thought this position was our most pressing. However McGlynn knows his squad. He knows what is out there and available in his budget. He chose not to bring a body in but to resign his important players on extended contracts even when the Celtic cash was there he still resisted. I am 100% sure he knows what is available and he certainly should have earned everyone’s trust in the transfer market. He resigned Shanley for this very situation. He needs to use him now or it is an admittance of an error on his part. I for one will certainly be giving Shanley my full backing. I honestly despair at our support sometimes.  43 games unbeaten, an unluckily loss with 5/6 first team players either on the bench or injured and you would think we were in full blown crisis reading some of the comments. Calm down and trust the manager to sort things till Maciver is fit. We are where we are, we need to just get on with it. The same ones have a hairy fit over Maciver were probably the same ones who thought he was a shit signing in the first place. I know whose judgement I trust. McGlynn’s 

Asked this before but just wondering how signing a contract extension would affect this seasons budget? Do players start on improved terms once it’s signed? 

IMO the McKenna up front thing was an experiment. Physically he's the closest thing we've got to MacIver and McGlynn had hinted that he could possibly play up there. McGlynn has, of course, managed him before, but whether he's played him as a lone striker before, I have no idea. I reckon he'll play both Oliver and Shanley v Ayr because Nesbitt may not be fit enough to start? 

I think anyone who thinks that McGlynn wasn't aware of the striker situation and hasn't been actively trying to rectify it are kidding themselves. Bearing in mind that the finance probably wasn't there until we knew we had drawn Celtic, his hands would have been tied to an extent. Additionally, just who could we have got that would have been as effective in that role as Ross and that would have been in our price range? There is no very obvious answer I don't think and McGlynn will be more aware of that situation than any of us for sure. The guy will get pelters whatever happens probably. He'll be blamed for bringing nobody in and also if he brings in someone that's no better suited to the role than we've already got. He got Wright wrong for example! 

Of course we should question things and not just blindly accept every decision he makes, but he's not going to get everything right, he hasn't in the past and will continue to get things wrong at times, but he generally gets it right and, personally, I feel that we need to have faith in what he does. I think he should only bring in someone who is suited to MacIver's role, otherwise it's pretty pointless unless he's going to be out for and extended period when we'll need cover anyway.

What disappointments me (even though I was expecting it) is that there are distant signs of the vultures circling. Lose to Ayr and they'll morph into peregrines!

2 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Oliver is neat and tidy, Shanley fairly decent in the air and has some pace. Easy solution is to morph them together and we have the perfect MacIver deputy.

This is something I’d like to see,

if you’re looking for a striker, hates the f**king fifers…

Garyan Sholiver 

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Not just basing it on one game- I don’t think he has played particularly well other than up at Montrose.

No manager in world football gets every signing right and it is not a criticism of McGlynn to suggest that this one hasn’t worked out.

For me Oliver is the much more experienced option and has to start.

I don't think he played any better at Montrose than any of his other cameos. He's a pretty unremarkable player, average probably, although I would say that his only 'bad' performance for us was at Ochilview. I don't know how many goals he's scored for us, half a dozen maybe, but, based on minutes played, he may well have a similar return to that of MacIver?

While like most of us I’m disappointed that we haven’t managed to bring in a short-term replacement for MacIver, I think in this instance McGlynn is the victim of his own success. I’m pretty sure that before a ball was kicked this league season the majority of fans would realistically have been happy with a play-off finish, but due to winning our first 5 games on the trot some thought that we were going to win the league (maybe a little bit of me did too☺️). Losing big Ross is a blow and means we might have to temper our expectations because if McGlynn hasn’t found a suitable replacement of the correct ability at the right price / deal we’ll just have to cut our cloth to suit. Thems the breaks.

On 27/09/2024 at 20:48, HopeStreetWalker said:

McIvor played centre back and there is a long history of players thrown into positions they don't usually play and it's a revelation.

If you don't have the wherewithal to comprehend that happens in football then there is not much hope for you.

The guy suggesting a 20-year-old right back in his first season in professional football be put up front in the Championship trying to tell me I can't comprehend what happens in football 😂😂😂😂😂

Seen it all.

15 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I don't think he played any better at Montrose than any of his other cameos. He's a pretty unremarkable player, average probably, although I would say that his only 'bad' performance for us was at Ochilview. I don't know how many goals he's scored for us, half a dozen maybe, but, based on minutes played, he may well have a similar return to that of MacIver?

Shanley has scored 3 competitive goals for us. He is only 23 so still has time to improve but tbh I don’t think we’ve really been the best place for him to develop in hindsight. 

At the stage he’s at, he needs to be starting games which was never realistically going to happen here.

11 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

While like most of us I’m disappointed that we haven’t managed to bring in a short-term replacement for MacIver, I think in this instance McGlynn is the victim of his own success. I’m pretty sure that before a ball was kicked this league season the majority of fans would realistically have been happy with a play-off finish, but due to winning our first 5 games on the trot some thought that we were going to win the league (maybe a little bit of me did too☺️). Losing big Ross is a blow and means we might have to temper our expectations because if McGlynn hasn’t found a suitable replacement of the correct ability at the right price / deal we’ll just have to cut our cloth to suit. Thems the breaks.

Q1 was always going to be a better measure on where the team stand after they have played everybody once. Injuries, Suspensions, Loss of form, Squad size will be a factor for every team in the league.