The Falkirk FC Thread

I see it looks like Raith are splashing the cash to sign Hanlon. 3 year deal for a 34 year old is a bit of a gamble and certainly one I wouldn't have wanted to see us taking. 

7 hours ago, Blane Fonda said:

Everyone seems happy enough with Ross signing, but I'm not so sure - he doesn't improve the starting eleven. Of course it was important to retain the majority of last season's squad. But a lot of our squad haven't exactly excelled in the championship when they previously played there. This is a position I think we could have tried something a bit different, take a chance on a freed youngster from a big club or a random foreign chap. to try and improve the first team.  We know what Ross can do, and so do all our opponents in this league, this was a chance to roll the dice, We have Miller -  Nesbitt and McCann could fill in this position if needed 

I don't agree.  Hes a completely different type of winger from miller and adds a bit of pace and trickery. Couple that with millers odd injury problem and he's a fantastic addition to the squad. Fingers crossed he will be starting the season fully fit and after a proper pre season compared to last season too which will make a big difference.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I see it looks like Raith are splashing the cash to sign Hanlon. 3 year deal for a 34 year old is a bit of a gamble and certainly one I wouldn't have wanted to see us taking. 

For me. Any team finishing above RR, this season will be top of the league. Yes a gamble but a very good signing.

With a 34 year old it’s maybe a gamble, I suspect he’ll breeze this league.

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

You’re starting to sound like a PARS a fan.. all of a sudden he signs for Raith and you’re glad he hasn’t signed for your team. Utter nonsense, yous would have wet your pants if yous had signed him. 

1 minute ago, spot on said:

You’re starting to sound like a PARS a fan.. all of a sudden he signs for Raith and you’re glad he hasn’t signed for your team. Utter nonsense, yous would have wet your pants if yous had signed him. 

I'd have taken Hanlon, but if you go back a few pages (well, a lot cos we're massive) you'll see there was debate on here about whether or not we should sign him. I'm not sure what side of it SD was on, but I'd be surprised if he has suddenly changed his tune. 

7 minutes ago, spot on said:

Not on a 3 year deal. Christ no. I'd have taken him on a 1 year with perhaps an option but 3 years no chance 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'd have taken Hanlon, but if you go back a few pages (well, a lot cos we're massive) you'll see there was debate on here about whether or not we should sign him. I'm not sure what side of it SD was on, but I'd be surprised if he has suddenly changed his tune. 

I'd have taken him on a one year deal no bother but our days of giving aging players 3 year contracts are hopefully long gone. Never tends to work out well.

54 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

At least ICT have a grass pitch, that’s the most important thing.

We could cut and transport their turf to TFS on the cheap, seeing they won’t need it anymore. 

Posted (edited)

I don't know about anyone else but I'm more than happy with our starting centrebacks. One is 26 and one is 29.  I don't see it as an area where we should be giving  a 34 year old a 3 year deal. We need an extra body in there as cover of course but a 3 year deal no chance.

That's 2 36 year olds and a 31 year old in raiths defence next season . Should be interesting.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 minute ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

If we don't win the league this year then I hope Raith do. A season up there showcasing decent astro might just change a few minds. 

Wouldn’t bet on it. If an Astro winning team tops the league, wait on another vote coming out. 

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

If we don't win the league this year then I hope Raith do. A season up there showcasing decent astro might just change a few minds. 

I’m not sure Raith’s is as good as ours, Airdrie or QOS now. It certainly doesn’t look like it.  

12 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Gray gets Hibs job. Expect the release list now and i would not be surprised if the signing picture has not been taken already for Tait

Edinburgh evening news did an article on a possible 20 players leaving Hibs and most were youngsters/fringe players. Tait was one and all it said was he was negotiating his release so he could sign for us. 

36 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I don't know about anyone else but I'm more than happy with our starting centrebacks. One is 26 and one is 29.  I don't see it as an area where we should be giving  a 34 year old a 3 year deal. We need an extra body in there as cover of course but a 3 year deal no chance.

That's 2 36 year olds and a 31 year old in raiths defence next season . Should be interesting.

Bearing in mind that both Mackie and Henderson can play CB too, I wouldn't be surprised if young Sinclair is included the squad for cover rather than signing anyone else.

1 hour ago, spot on said:

Whether he’d have been a good signing or not is irrelevant as we couldn’t have afforded his wages.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Not on a 3 year deal. Christ no. I'd have taken him on a 1 year with perhaps an option but 3 years no chance 

Agreed. Maybe that does mean you're sounding like a Pars fan though... 

A 3 year deal just isn't cricket for me, I think he'd be a good signing for a year to get you out of this division, but then what? Raith already seem to have a full coaching staff, and have signed Stevenson and Fordyce who also want to help out with the coaching side. 

There's a huge degree or short sightedness going on here by Raith IMO, if they get promoted next summer they're going to find themselves with a good few players not good enough for that level, with the cost of a pitch replacement in the pipework aswell. 

Bold strategy, not sure how it plays out long term. 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Bearing in mind that both Mackie and Henderson can play CB too, I wouldn't be surprised if young Sinclair is included the squad for cover rather than signing anyone else.

Think it is time that we introduced development players into squad or decent prospects will not see a good career pathway and we could lose a few

Edited by Bigbrbairn