The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Anthony Fitzgerald said:

Not if there isn’t any money to bring someone in and players are still injured.

i disagree it's a squad game and he has signed players who can play across almost all positions, what's happened now is quite unusual

7 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Re writing history a wee bit.

The Airdrie playoff debacle will always be a black mark that said more than made up for it last season.

no getting away from how bad that was but he said it was a 2 year project and was good to his word, he knew where the weaknesses were in the team and made changes, we all have to accept the squad he inherited was rock bottom and poor, what he's done is transformational and anybody dwelling on 180 mins over 2 years of progress is likely to be a glass half full type of guy or gal.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

With respect I do think the club should be looking to back the manager in a responsible way. We are in a fortunate position where we don’t need lots of additions but a few quality players could make a huge impact to what we already have.

There is a big difference in championship prize money between 4th and 8th. There is also much more chance of the 3800+ ST holders returning next year if we have a decent season.

So we stretched it last year, it would be reasonable to suggest we have or will follow the same pattern this year.

If that leaves us short for these two or three  extra pieces of quality as a fan owned club, what do you advocate?

13 hours ago, Super Simon said:

What is your precise definition of trolling please?

Offering an opinion or point of view that is not in complete alignment with your own?

One that dares to deviate from the party line?

Come on, even you can come up with an insult just little bit more original than that if you really put your mind to it.

peeps, if i was to post every time i disagreed with the views on here i'd be up at 3 or 4 thousand posts by now and be divorced in the process, so cool your jets.

the fact you even think there's a "party line" to deviate from pretty much sums up your perspective. p&b is many a thing but it's not a beacon of consensus and agreement.

you have 16 posts, all littered with negativity, criticising Falkirk fans on the RR thread being the worst, your suggestion the manager wasn't happy with the backing he received and the snarky comment about him being well rewarded are almost as bad, you don't know these things and are only looking to stir shit.

my definition of a troll is you chum and your posts are the evidence.

8 minutes ago, SuperTuesday said:

So we stretched it last year, it would be reasonable to suggest we have or will follow the same pattern this year.

If that leaves us short for these two or three  extra pieces of quality as a fan owned club, what do you advocate?

The clubs survival must never again be put at risk by poor stewardship of the finances.

Directors and fans have financed the squad prudently and rightly so.

We have got the best squad our finances allow and where we end up at the end of the season is the level we are at.

Would rather have that than go for broke in a promotion charge, fail and have another financial crisis on our hands.

Benefit-of-the-doubt that Super Simon isn't trolling as such.

Read his reply in the RR thread and the impression I get is he isn't a McGlynn fan and would have dismissed him after failing to go up at the 1st attempt - ignoring all of the factors that in hindsight suggest he made a decent fist of it - a SC semi, 2nd place, LC group win - considering our title rivals, where we were the season before, what he inherited before ultimately failure.

On the other hand, last season is to be dismissed because of all the factors they think contributed to our success trump the others - poorer teams, McGlynn not being challenged and evidently better players because the Championship is superior or the manager is a dinosaur. 

I don't think there is ever pleasing some fans -  They berate rewarding success and stability by demanding a raft of new faces or belittling actual achievements because managers and players can't be seen to evolve or grow - they're frozen in aspic and can never improve but only regress.

40 minutes ago, SuperTuesday said:

the 3rd leg of the stool needs to step up or given they've not done it so far,  more likely be replaced with a person or people who will

11 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Benefit-of-the-doubt that Super Simon isn't trolling as such.

Read his reply in the RR thread and the impression I get is he isn't a McGlynn fan and would have dismissed him after failing to go up at the 1st attempt - ignoring all of the factors that in hindsight suggest he made a decent fist of it - a SC semi, 2nd place, LC group win - considering our title rivals, where we were the season before, what he inherited before ultimately failure.

On the other hand, last season is to be dismissed because of all the factors they think contributed to our success trump the others - poorer teams, McGlynn not being challenged and evidently better players because the Championship is superior or the manager is a dinosaur. 

I don't think there is ever pleasing some fans -  They berate rewarding success and stability by demanding a raft of new faces or belittling actual achievements because managers and players can't be seen to evolve or grow - they're frozen in aspic and can never improve but only regress.

fair assessment, whatever adjective you pick, he's not a positive contributor who is prepared to take a balanced view that recognises all factors and considerations. 

2 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Think it is a bit more complex than the money already being spent or not. I doubt there was a pot of money sitting in the bank that is now empty. The club will set a budget based on a variety of factors, including ST sales and predicted league finish.

Clearly the ultra-safe option would be to budget for 8th and bank any extra prize money. The ultra-risky option would be to budget for 1st and promotion.

For me, we should be looking at a sensible middle ground based on the increased ST sales and FSS subscriptions and desire to keep our positive momentum going.

I respect the ambition and I kind of believe, based on what directors have told us, that they align with the ambition you state. I’d be surprised if they have budgeted for 8th, probably somewhere a bit higher. So I think on that basis, the money likely is spent. As well as considering the upside of doing better, we have to think about the risk of not, not just for this season but future ones. If we over budget against performance by, say, 500k then we’re truly fkd.  We can always say “just be a bit more ambitious” but that will always come with greater risk and we don’t have someone who’s able and willing to underwrite the risk. 

37 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

the 3rd leg of the stool needs to step up or given they've not done it so far,  more likely be replaced with a person or people who will

I think we agree mostly but this just doesn't make any sense. 

Where are these supposed investors waiting to throw cash at us?

18 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I think we agree mostly but this just doesn't make any sense. 

Where are these supposed investors waiting to throw cash at us?

If investors are putting in a considerable amount of cash into the club then quite naturally they would want a say in how the club functions.

Need some perspective here I think. Anyone trying to belittle last year's achievements will never be happy it's as simple as that. Loads of other decent sized clubs have been in league one over the years but only one has ever gone through the entire season unbeaten and they had a massive budget compared to ours. We were in league one 5 seasons and mcglynn took us from the depths of finishing 6th to winning the league by a country mile in 2 seasons. Yes Airdrie was shit but these things happen. We still had too many tainted players hanging about the side. It would also be foolhardy to expect too much this season. It will take a while for us to get up to speed as a club in the championship. There's a good few sides that have been in this league for years picking up much more cash than us over the last 5 years . We will take time to catch up but every place higher we finish helps close the gap in preparation for a real push for the top flight.

3 hours ago, AJ1981 said:

i disagree it's a squad game and he has signed players who can play across almost all positions, what's happened now is quite unusual

I interpreted the post I quoted McGlynn knows he can’t start the season without centre halves, he will deal with it, as he will go out and sign someone. 

Not disputing your reply though. I am in agreement with others we don’t have the funds to do so, with the extension of contracts (and I suspect a huge increase to keep Morrison, understandable) there isn’t a lot left to play with.

2 hours ago, Kircer bairn said:

Quote I read re Scotty is he’s heading to a lower league team in England………but that was a US based report right enough 🤔

Probably getting England and Scotland mixed up, the dosey Yanks 

Come on home Scotty 

2 hours ago, StuartA said:

If we over budget against performance by, say, 500k then we’re truly fkd.  We can always say “just be a bit more ambitious” but that will always come with greater risk and we don’t have someone who’s able and willing to underwrite the risk. 

Agreed, but there is also a financial risk in having a relatively poor season. There is quite a big disparity in prize money between say 4th and 8th.

Equally, a team finishing 8th (not that I think that will be us) is not going to be winning many games so I suspect PATG and hospitality income would be down significantly compared to budget.

I also can’t see 3800+ STs being sold next year in that scenario. Dunfermline seem to be down quite a bit this season after being mediocre last year.