The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

For me:

- relegation/relegation playoff = failure

- 7th or 8th = minimum expectations met

- 5th or 6th = realistic expectations for the season

- playoffs = massive success

- 1st = not happening but by god it would be fun

We will know where we stand in the grand scheme of things after we have played every team once.

A cracker of a league awaits. Last couple of games we’ve played well, deservedly beating Utd, and a bit unlucky last night. Cant wait till QP game and then a trip over to our friendly…….  

Be good to get update on our CBs. 

20 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Well seeing as you got the thread it happened on, time frame and accusation all wrong for starters I'd suggest that the true story would be met with a screeching "naw ah didnae" 😂😂😂

X

That deflection tactic would have maybe worked lad if I mentioned a timeframe or thread....

Ur a basket case man 😂

1 minute ago, Senor Bairn said:

That deflection tactic would have maybe worked lad if I mentioned a timeframe or thread....

Ur a basket case man 😂

He’s still coming to terms with the fact that somebody tried to assassinate Donald Trump. Hopefully he’ll get over it.

Starting 11 wise we're definitely up there with the best in the league, I would have just preferred us to be bit more ruthless with our signings and re-signings so the squad as a whole had a bit more quality.

27 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

For me:

- relegation/relegation playoff = failure

- 7th or 8th = minimum expectations met

- 5th or 6th = realistic expectations for the season

- playoffs = massive success

- 1st = not happening but by god it would be fun

For me

Below 5th - not happening 

5th min exp

playoff realistic

winner massive success 

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Starting 11 wise we're definitely up there with the best in the league, I would have just preferred us to be bit more ruthless with our signings and re-signings so the squad as a whole had a bit more quality.

Don’t really think the squad is short on quality at all, could have a stronger goalkeeper and possibly another forward option but otherwise we are in very decent shape.

2 hours ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Absolutely England only. The legislation was initially written by the Tories - it may be stiffened up by Labour. Sport in Scotland is a devolved poweer.

I may have opened myself a wee can of worms. The fact it’s gone under the radar that sport is devolved in Scotland. Every fan who wants to call out the cartel running the SPFL / Scottish Premiership, should be lobbying hard their local MSPs for an independent Scottish Football watchdog to be setup to oversee the game. Surely the cartel setup can’t go on indefinitely without being accountable or at the very least monitored. I’d like to think the actions in England could signal a sea change of opinion up here too. By gawd we need change.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

I may have opened myself a wee can of worms. The fact it’s gone under the radar that sport is devolved in Scotland. Every fan who wants to call out the cartel running the SPFL / Scottish Premiership, should be lobbying hard their local MSPs for an independent Scottish Football watchdog to be setup to oversee the game. Surely the cartel setup can’t go on indefinitely without being accountable or at the very least monitored. I’d like to think the actions in England could signal a sea change of opinion up here too. By gawd we need change.

I agree but the separatists are in charge for at least 18 more months.  While they showed some understanding of football (we did get the loan after all) they do not want to upset the Old Firm fans as that is quite a large voting group.. I think Labour in oppositions is a better place to look for such a commitment. But if the SNP did it now on the back of the English initiative then it should get some plaudits. But they won't. 

9 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

sat on here for 3 hours 

43 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Swing Miss GIF by MOODMAN

48 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

I agree but the separatists are in charge for at least 18 more months.  While they showed some understanding of football (we did get the loan after all) they do not want to upset the Old Firm fans as that is quite a large voting group.. I think Labour in oppositions is a better place to look for such a commitment. But if the SNP did it now on the back of the English initiative then it should get some plaudits. But they won't. 

I’d hope that the Scottish Goverment (whoever’s in charge!) would look for cross- Parliamentary consensus across all political colours. Football / sport is ‘apolitical’, or is supposed to be anyway. Giving Sport Scotland a new remit and some legal teeth would be a step in the right direction.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Well that’s my fear confirmed then. We’ll carry on meekly and accept it. I’ll get back in my box. 

I’ve said repeatedly get the Arse Holes away from our leagues and couldn’t give two Fcks where they go. The whole of Scottish football would be better off. 
The “establishment” is and will rule until  the spineless bstards in the league of 12 grow a pair and vote against…………..

add; don’t bite the hand that feeds you 🙄

Edited by Springfield

Just in general I am very excited for the league season to start.

Having different, bigger, teams to play each week and larger away supports. Massive change from the last 5 years, Dunfermline and Raith apart.

It's a very niche and dare I say "problem", but last season we had clearly won by half time for a lot of the matches - not that I am complaining, but you end up having a dull second half. Just excited for some competitive matches, which looks like it will be against each team in the league.

9 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I think we all agree there is nothing to fear but having promotion as  the minimum expectation  is too high  for me.  No reason why we can't be there or there about in the playoffs slots but we will rely a lot on avoiding any more injuries as other sides will have deeper squads than us.  I'm sure if we continue to play an exciting brand of football with the players the fans have come to love we won't have anything to fear either re people jumping ship .

I'm not too sure that other squads are deeper than ours, likewise injuries and suspensions hit most in this league 

9 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Whilst I expect us to finish in the top 4, finishing mid-table wouldn't be a failure.

The gap between Premiership and Championship is much wider than between Championship and League 1. The reality is there is little chance of play-off success, which pretty much reduces to 0 if you finish 3rd or 4th

Much like when McGlynn first arrived, promotion is a two year project. 

Personally think gap between both prem/champ and champ/league 1 is similar.

Year in year out one of the best league one team in Montrose get found out against a champ side that's failed to muster wins all season.

The gap has always been there champ and league one but the gap from champ to prem is widening 

5 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We will know where we stand in the grand scheme of things after we have played every team once.

Not for me, it's into the third round of games that things start to shape, although most seasons it's all to play for in the final quarter most seasons.

We should be looking at playoffs....from a budget perspective and obviously the squad we have but a top half finish is ok, a lot will depend on injuries and suspensions but that probably covers all 10 teams.

Didn't make the Ayr game the other night due to work. However looks like we played well, first half in particular.

I really enjoyed the game against Dundee United. My point is and I don't know if anyone else agrees. I think this team when they are in full flow play the best football I can remember of any Falkirk team in decades.

The last team I can remember being this good to watch was McCalls team before he jumped ship.

I think the formation we play is a joy to watch. I honestly think we will be right in the mix this season.

If we can get another striker and possibly a centre back as cover we will be in a good place. I hear that we have 2 loan signings lined up but again probably after season is underway.

The only position I worry about is the keeper. I understand he is young but Hogarth for me does not make big saves. He is adequate but not someone who will save you 10 to 12 points a season by making crucial saves.

I saw the Raith keeper last season and some of the saves he made were fantastic. Which probably kept them in the hunt longer for the title.

Anyway I really am looking forward to this season we are a joy to watch. And I for one cannot wait till the league starts.

3 hours ago, AriG-FFC said:

Didn't make the Ayr game the other night due to work. However looks like we played well, first half in particular.

I really enjoyed the game against Dundee United. My point is and I don't know if anyone else agrees. I think this team when they are in full flow play the best football I can remember of any Falkirk team in decades.

The last team I can remember being this good to watch was McCalls team before he jumped ship.

I think the formation we play is a joy to watch. I honestly think we will be right in the mix this season.

If we can get another striker and possibly a centre back as cover we will be in a good place. I hear that we have 2 loan signings lined up but again probably after season is underway.

The only position I worry about is the keeper. I understand he is young but Hogarth for me does not make big saves. He is adequate but not someone who will save you 10 to 12 points a season by making crucial saves.

I saw the Raith keeper last season and some of the saves he made were fantastic. Which probably kept them in the hunt longer for the title.

Anyway I really am looking forward to this season we are a joy to watch. And I for one cannot wait till the league starts.

Case of wait and see for most of the clubs in the league. Will have a better idea where we stand after everybody as played each other.

What Falkirk has is.  Continuity in the squad and for the first time in years not much player churn and being the unknown quantity.

Dabrowski made some good saves but also some total howlers. He's not amazing.

And for all his faults, Hogarth did indeed pull off some vital saves. Kelty away second time around being one clear example.