The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Dade said:

To be honest, I’m just as disappointed about our own lack of youth players getting a game. Thought Walker and Honeyman acquitted themself well at the start of last season. If they can’t get a game when coasting League 1 then not sure they’ll get a chance in a tough Championship. 

But we're not strangling their development by sitting them on our bench. Honeyman just went to Alloa last week

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

But we're not strangling their development by sitting them on our bench. Honeyman just went to Alloa last week

True but Bobby Wales amassed a load of minutes at Alloa last season and now gained 179 minutes as part of the first team. Honeyman and Walker were out on loan last season and still not getting an opportunity with our first team. They’re around the same age as Wales too. 

Not straight forward but Wales might gradually progress to making more appearances for Kilmarnock’s first team this season whereas unlikely Honeyman and Walker will festure much for us. 

Maybe they both need another season on loan but not sure when their contract ends and ultimately don’t see the point in restarting the academy if we don’t try to get these players a chance in the first team. Is early days but thought they looked like promising players and good enough to cause an impact off the bench, if not from the start. 

Edited by Dade

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Just nonsense I’m afraid. The linesmen and referee “guess” on hundreds of decisions per season. Offside calls, whether a player has nicked the other’s leg, balls being over a painted line or not. All they can do is make the best decision they can. I’m happy to accept them “guessing” over inches, rather than introducing grotesque ideas such as VAR 

It's not nonsense at all.

The linesman obviously knew that he couldn't get in line with ball so, if he's got to guess, he should be giving the attacking side the benefit of the doubt. Who gets the benefit of doubt on an offside call, the defender or attacker?

2 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

@Bainsfordbairn was probably closest out of everyone bar Keelan Adams and might even have a snap 📸 🤞.

Hopefully this irrelevant argument can be settled one way or another! 😆

I'm afraid not. As a photographer I learned long ago that if you cover the winger putting a cross into the box it's very difficult to then find and focus on the recipient before he puts the ball in the net. 

My lens was pointed at and prefocussed on Ethan Ross which is why I have perfect image of the shot but nothing on the cross. 

goal disallowed.jpg

22 minutes ago, Dade said:

True but Bobby Wales amassed a load of minutes at Alloa last season and now gained 179 minutes as part of the first team. Honeyman and Walker were out on loan last season and still not getting an opportunity with our first team. They’re around the same age as Wales too. 

Not straight forward but Wales might gradually progress to making more appearances for Kilmarnock’s first team this season whereas unlikely Honeyman and Walker will festure much for us. 

Maybe they both need another season on loan but not sure when their contract ends and ultimately don’t see the point in restarting the academy if we don’t try to get these players a chance in the first team. Is early days but thought they looked like promising players and good enough to cause an impact off the bench, if not from the start. 

The difference between Wales, Honeyman & Walker, is Wales scored 12 in 27 appearances for Alloa in league 1 last season, where Honeyman was playing in the lowland league and Walker was on loan to camelon. 

I’m not underestimating their potential, they both look sharp and I’m sure they’ll get their chance soon, but we approached Wales as a replacement for an injured MacIver to hopefully be clinical up front. 

5 minutes ago, Bairns1994 said:

The difference between Wales, Honeyman & Walker, is Wales scored 12 in 27 appearances for Alloa in league 1 last season, where Honeyman was playing in the lowland league and Walker was on loan to camelon. 

I’m not underestimating their potential, they both look sharp and I’m sure they’ll get their chance soon, but we approached Wales as a replacement for an injured MacIver to hopefully be clinical up front. 

Walker and Sinclair are both out on loan, however, I did wonder why Honeyman wasn't included in our squad when we struggling with injuries as he looked a very good prospect. It would appear that he has been out injured for the last 10 weeks, which is why he wasn't in the Alloa squad on Saturday.

4 hours ago, Bairns1994 said:

Appreciate that but as Kilmarnock are wanting to keep Wales in their first team, I would have hoped the season both Honeyman and Walker spent on loan last year would see us try to do the same. See how they get on this season anyway.

Any idea when their contracts run out by the way?

4 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Wales is a year older than Walker and Honeyman. No point pitching them in at a level they aren't ready for

Hopefully they can keep developing as they remain excellent prospects 

Honeyman is only 5 months younger than Wales. 

Yeats played regularly for our 1st team at a younger age than Honeyman and a similar age to what Walker is now. He only played in the Highland League before that too. Was League 1 but would just liked to have seen them be part of our 1st team squad this season, as Wales is with Kilmarnock in the top flight. 

Edited by Dade

10 minutes ago, Dade said:

Appreciate that but as Kilmarnock are wanting to keep Wales in their first team, I would have hoped the season last year both Honeyman and Walker spent on loan last year would see us try to do the same. See how they get on this season anyway.

Any idea when their contracts run out by the way?

Honeyman is only 5 months younger than Wales. 

Yeats played regularly for our 1st team at a younger age than Honeyman and a similar age to what Walker is now. He only played in the Highland League before that too. Was League 1 but would just liked to have seen them be part of our 1st team squad this season, as Wales is with Kilmarnock in the top flight. 

I’m sure their contracts are until the end of the season.

Yeats only had one other challenger for his position at right back (Leyton Bisland) at the time. Honeyman & Walker would have 4 wingers ahead of them, as @SouthStander1876 highlighted. 

Alloa & Cowdenbeath are great loan moves for Honeyman and Walker to continue their development.

Just now, Bairns1994 said:

I’m sure their contracts are until the end of the season.

Yeats only had one other challenger for his position at right back (Leyton Bisland) at the time. Honeyman & Walker would have 4 wingers ahead of them, as @SouthStander1876 highlighted. 

Alloa & Cowdenbeath are great loan moves for Honeyman and Walker to continue their development.

My point was more that Yeats was signed as a first team player and deemed worthy of a place despite being a similar age. 

Sure we could have had the same debate this time last year regarding the need to sign both Alfie and Ross when we had Honeyman and Walker. Not saying it was a bad move but our academy was at its best when we weren’t afraid to throw young players in. 

They may get their chance next season but had hoped this season was going to be their shot to break in the 1st team. 

Anyway hope Honeyman proves his worth at Alloa. Just to check though, if he is out of contract at the end of the season and signs for someone else would we get a training fee?  

7 minutes ago, Dade said:

Anyway hope Honeyman proves his worth at Alloa. Just to check though, if he is out of contract at the end of the season and signs for someone else would we get a training fee?  

Only if we offer the lad a contract for season 25-26 or beyond.

1 hour ago, Dade said:

Appreciate that but as Kilmarnock are wanting to keep Wales in their first team, I would have hoped the season last year both Honeyman and Walker spent on loan last year would see us try to do the same. See how they get on this season 

Why? They can go out and play or they can stay and be 5th and 6th choice. It’s a no brainer

3 hours ago, Dade said:

To be honest, I’m just as disappointed about our own lack of youth players getting a game. Thought Walker and Honeyman acquitted themself well at the start of last season. If they can’t get a game when coasting League 1 then not sure they’ll get a chance in a tough Championship. 

Ever thought they are maybe not ready? Leave that to the manager he knows much better than us what his players can and can’t do and who is up to it if not. 

I would say the expectation for these laddies is that if they do well in league 1 they could be in contention next year in the championship. 

I'd we go up (I'm being hypothetical, not getting carried away) then hopefully they would be ready for a championship loan to get them ready for the premiership if they have that level of potential.

The truth is if they weren't ready for league 1 last year, they were never really going to get a chance in the championship this year. 

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Walker and Sinclair are both out on loan, however, I did wonder why Honeyman wasn't included in our squad when we struggling with injuries as he looked a very good prospect. It would appear that he has been out injured for the last 10 weeks, which is why he wasn't in the Alloa squad on Saturday.

Watched Walker & Sinclair play in reserve league cup tie v Pars a couple weeks ago & sorry to say that neither of them excelled but 17year old centre back Cammy was our best prospect on day.