The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

can anyone at the game tell me if the subs were there to make a difference? Was it tactical or forced or did McGlynn just do what he does every game at the same time regardless?

Before Alfie came on Ross pointed at his foot looked like he may have had a niggle, other than that Shanley and McKenna didn't make a difference, Finn didn't have enough time but I think he does offer something from Tait.

Edited by AL-FFC

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

He has. We just spent it (rightly imo) on keeping players. 

Which squad would you swap for ours?

Absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with swapping our squad for any other in the league.

I'm talking about having a one or two additional, valid squad options - even one, a proper alternative/back-up to MacIver and I believe we would have secured three points today and would not have lost to that utterly mediocre Raith Rovers side at Starks Park two weeks ago. That's it. No more could be asked of the first eleven, they have been pretty much exceptional from Day One, but the substitutes really aren't contributing anything. Enough has been said about McKenna and Shanley, for me neither remotely good enough for where we are looking to go, but Agyeman, despite being untouchable in the eyes of so many, is far more miss than hit, shocking on Tuesday and negligible impact again this afternoon. He really needs to step it up. His performance at Parkhead showcased what he can offer, but that's far more exception than rule.

We absolutely have it within us to win the league, a good, experienced manager and a starting 11 the equal of any, meaning our approach to the January transfer window will be very, very interesting indeed. You can bet that the other contenders will be furnishing their managers with the resources to make some improvements.

Well nothing to fear in this league then.

Mcglynn taken us from a plodding league 1 team to the best team in the champ. If we don’t quite do it this year then fine, still enjoying the most competent manager and squad I’ve seen for 10 years +

2 hours ago, Super Simon said:

It's been blatantly obvious - long before he picked up the injury at Parkhead - that we needed a valid alternative to MacIver, and that any absence for him would leave us with a problem. It has. If we had one, we'd have been quite a few points clear at the top. 

Unfortunately there appears to have been few options about on the striker front good enough. Ayr, Raith, Dunfermline and a few others all looking for one and came up empty handed too.

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Unfortunately there appears to have been few options about on the striker front good enough. Ayr, Raith, Dunfermline and a few others all looking for one and came up empty handed too.

Absolutely correct. A replacement /back up for MacIver cant just be plucked from the magical striker tree. January window is usually full of dross other teams want shot of not brilliant ready made goal machines. Think we need to look outside our domestic league and take a risk.

38 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Well nothing to fear in this league then.

Mcglynn taken us from a plodding league 1 team to the best team in the champ. If we don’t quite do it this year then fine, still enjoying the most competent manager and squad I’ve seen for 10 years +

As long as I've been supporting Falkirk a draw at Firhill has never been a bad result. Contrast the team that played today and the way they played against the performance against Partick when they pumped us 5-0 to win the league a couple of years ago. The job Mcglynn has done can't be understated.

5 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

As long as I've been supporting Falkirk a draw at Firhill has never been a bad result. Contrast the team that played today and the way they played against the performance against Partick when they pumped us 5-0 to win the league a couple of years ago. The job Mcglynn has done can't be understated.

Bang on! We went there, dominated, only team who wanted to win. Probably should’ve. All that without our only striker, captain Coll, and best player Morrison out. Top of the league, let’s win on Friday 

Edited by bairn88

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Does anyone understand how difficult it is to do a double promotion ?

We appear to have a number of fans who think it’s simple.

Enjoy being top of the league and let the manager do his job ffs.

Who was the last team to win league one and then win the championship the next season? Even sevco couldn't do that?

We dominated for large spells but couldn't find the winner, hit post, bar, and Nizzy missed a great chance first half. Miller had a good shout for a penalty (seen them given) but another poor ref said no. Firhill's always a tough place to go and to dominate and perform like we did was great to watch. I've read the MacIver arguments and tend to agree that maybe if he, or a like replacement was playing, we would've managed a 2nd goal and won. But still, Q1 done, 20 points, top of the league - and without 5 first teamers today, dominated the game. Got to be happy with that.

Obviously a bit frustrating to not win given how we've dominated the game but still happy with the fact that we are looking strong every week and feeling hard done by only getting a point away from home to an early season title favourite.

In terms of a replacement for McIver we obviously struggled to find someone, as did Raith and Ayr who were looking. The singing it looks like we've missed out on could be the lad Stuparevic that's went to Morton. 

In terms of scoring chances though it's our attacking midfielders that need to improve, Ross has 3, miller 1, Aggie 1, Oliver 0.

Given the chances we've had they should have more goals. 

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

It’s also worth noting that no one in this league has a stand out striker. Think this year the league will be won by who concedes the fewest rather than who scores the most. 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Who was the last team to win league one and then win the championship the next season? Even sevco couldn't do that?

Thistle did it in 00/01 and 01/02 under John Lambie.

I know Gretna did it more recently than that, but they were a financially doped disgrace of a club and shouldn’t really count.