The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Excuse my ignorance on this.  Is that just Scotland? If so is there a reason for it?   From my (admittedly foggy) memory i thought all seaters came in because of Hillsborough? Taylor Report maybe?   Are we saying even England now has safe standing areas?(again this is probably my ignorance!).  I do recall something about Spurs having it? 

If so its beggars belief that there's this plus we still can't have a drink grounds when everyone else can.   I know the argument is why do you want to?(plus footage from some of the English concourses is enough to put you off) but I think it just irks me that because of a Cup Final between the ar*e cheeks 40 years ago we can't...

A lot of the English grounds have safe standing, yes.  Do Celtic not have this as well?  It’s just a way of having a bit more of a bounce about but capping numbers, it’s not much different from what we do now.

I have no problems with the drinking thing.  Having been to a few English games, it’s carnage and really unpleasant, and much as we want to pretend otherwise we know there is a problem with attitudes to alcohol up here - not just the Ugly Sisters.

Just now, Blame Me said:

@fuzzydunlop this is because the average Scottish football fan is demonised by the police and a second thought to the SPFL.

Having any of the things you mention would mean treating Scottish fans with respect and moving our game on.

Both of which aren't in the interests of either.

aye very true.

I did make the mistake with the alcohol at an English game once.  Mate and I went to see Leicester City years ago..  Walked into the concourse bit before game and had no idea you could buy alcohol.   We bought a couple of pints and walked up the stairs to get to our seats. Security guy told us we couldn't take the pints into the main stadium.  Game was kicking off so we ended up downing them.  Spent the first half bursting for a pish but not wanting to annoy the folk in our row as we'd turned up last minute.

Went down to concourse at half time, big queue.  Mate refused to order half pints so it was another pint at half time...got served just as teams were coming out for second half. 

Again drank it fast and ending up needing another pish not long after...so just left game early(it was a sh*te game) to go to the boozer.   So maybe not the best idea for me anyways!  

5 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

A lot of the English grounds have safe standing, yes.  Do Celtic not have this as well?  It’s just a way of having a bit more of a bounce about but capping numbers, it’s not much different from what we do now.

I have no problems with the drinking thing.  Having been to a few English games, it’s carnage and really unpleasant, and much as we want to pretend otherwise we know there is a problem with attitudes to alcohol up here - not just the Ugly Sisters.

Yeah to be honest that's my thinking.  I know its the lack of choice or being able to do it that bothers me,  and some of us could easily have a pint at half time and chat to mates -sometimes its the only time you catch up with folk.....

But I also know only full well you would get the fannies who would go over the score and it would no doubt cause issues and more hassle for stewards and the family environment which lets face it - Falkirk are definitely doing well in at the moment.  

1 hour ago, 101 said:

It’s only European competition where all seater stands must be used hence safe standing having a fold out chair for European use.

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well then, clearly old school terrace is a no-go for the #NBJ

It's a bit pie in the sky at the moment if we are being honest but for me this does rule out an old school terracing. 

The long term ambition of the club should be not only getting back to the premiership but trying to become established in that league and push to finish in the Europa/conference spots.

There wouldn't be much point spending millions on a stand that we wouldn't be able to use in the event we qualified for a competition like that when it would be the time we actually really needed the additional capacity.

28 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Excuse my ignorance on this.  Is that just Scotland? If so is there a reason for it?   From my (admittedly foggy) memory i thought all seaters came in because of Hillsborough? Taylor Report maybe?   Are we saying even England now has safe standing areas?(again this is probably my ignorance!).  I do recall something about Spurs having it? 

If so its beggars belief that there's this plus we still can't have a drink grounds when everyone else can.   I know the argument is why do you want to?(plus footage from some of the English concourses is enough to put you off) but I think it just irks me that because of a Cup Final between the ar*e cheeks 40 years ago we can't...

No all European grounds must have seats installed in the standing areas of their ground. Most famously the yellow wall in Dortmund will have usable seats for European competition. 

Kilmarnock, Celtic and Hibs from memory all use the same kind of rail seating and a number of clubs in England also have this installed. 

There was a rule in Scotland to have all seater stadium up to a capacity of 10,000 which in 2005 I believe it was down graded to 6,000 and I now believe it’s 500 seats although I could be wrong on that last change. But I think when Arbroath were looking at promotion their ground was suitable.

eta - UEFA have actually started a trial of safe standing sections remaining configured for standing in men’s competition qualifiers and knockouts. But only in France and Germany.

Surely Falkirk would be best to have a triangular terrace so the matches on both  side canused. If you do get into Europe you won’t need anywhere near the size of stadium that you have as the tracking team will probably require 50 seats.

Edited by 101

10 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

It's a bit pie in the sky at the moment if we are being honest but for me this does rule out an old school terracing. 

The long term ambition of the club should be not only getting back to the premiership but trying to become established in that league and push to finish in the Europa/conference spots.

There wouldn't be much point spending millions on a stand that we wouldn't be able to use in the event we qualified for a competition like that when it would be the time we actually really needed the additional capacity.

Disagree, I’d absolutely love an old school terrace over that side if it was ever at all possible and made sense numbers wise. Convinced it would add to the overall experience and crowd numbers. If the premier league accept it now then I don’t see an issue. Would also presumably be far cheaper to install which in itself makes it a more realistic option. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Apologies for the intrusion.......

A terrace on the empty side is a great idea if the blazers allow it.

On the safe standing side, Killie installed 2 different sections and it's made a big difference to the atmosphere at RP. Section under the scoreboard for the young team and a section behind the goal for the weans.........a sort of breeding ground for the next young team.

Paid for by the fans trust, it's definitely been a good addition.

59 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Disagree there, been to lots of English games all round the country and if anything the average game is slightly more sanitised/family friendly than a Scottish game.

I too would never let an ugly sister game have alcohol, but it’s such a massive money spinner for clubs that to not even attempt to try to reintroduce it from the lower levels up tells you all you need to know about how football fans are seen by leading Scottish political parties.  

41 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

If we qualified for such a competition, then the funds would be available for a closed season upgrade. If we build a terracing future proof it for upgrades ie footings for seating come barriers.

Do we want another stand to match the other 3 ? No

Hybrid derivative of AYR's Terracing, Seating, Disabled, Hospitality seems the best option and terracing could be a Phase 1. 

The Ultras are here to stay, they want to crowd together for atmosphere so fair do's. But as the forum have brought up that's a lot of empty seats in the KMS and that situation ain't going to change.

Before it went anywhere. Ask the Ultra's if they would buy into a Terracing location, they are the customers and rightly should have input.

9 hours ago, Dade said:

Ok but Deans wasn’t in charge then. Thought the criticism was that they didn’t do any DD?

No he was not the Chairman but on the Board and he most certainly was doing the DD. 

23 minutes ago, BPM said:

No he was not the Chairman but on the Board and he most certainly was doing the DD. 

Not sure I get your point. Are you saying they shouldn’t have done any DD? 

Edited to add: the proposed takeover was publicised a couple of months before Deans took over. As much as I wasn’t a fan of Deans, I don’t think he can be blamed for how far it went. 

Edited by Dade

2 hours ago, Pizzo said:

Apologies for the intrusion.......

A terrace on the empty side is a great idea if the blazers allow it.

On the safe standing side, Killie installed 2 different sections and it's made a big difference to the atmosphere at RP. Section under the scoreboard for the young team and a section behind the goal for the weans.........a sort of breeding ground for the next young team.

Paid for by the fans trust, it's definitely been a good addition.

Honestly there is a lot of good potential ideas. I just wouldn't trust the blazers as far as I could throw them.

If anything we were doing was going to be given some sort of exemption I wouldn't trust them to honour it. Falkirk have been shafted by them too many times. 

Hopefully we have enough cash to make this more than a theoretical discussion in the future. 

Edited by GMBairn

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Disagree there, been to lots of English games all round the country and if anything the average game is slightly more sanitised/family friendly than a Scottish game.

I too would never let an ugly sister game have alcohol, but it’s such a massive money spinner for clubs that to not even attempt to try to reintroduce it from the lower levels up tells you all you need to know about how football fans are seen by leading Scottish political parties.  

I was at Selhurst Park for an evening game against Newcastle last season.  The concourse was a crush waiting to happen and there were a lot of very very drunk people adding significantly to it.  The attitude of sinking 5 pints before the match starts and another 2 at half time is deeply ingrained and unpleasant. 

I really don’t understand the attitude of not being able to go 90 minutes without a drink.

51 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

I was at Selhurst Park for an evening game against Newcastle last season.  The concourse was a crush waiting to happen and there were a lot of very very drunk people adding significantly to it.  The attitude of sinking 5 pints before the match starts and another 2 at half time is deeply ingrained and unpleasant. 

I really don’t understand the attitude of not being able to go 90 minutes without a drink.

I’ll give you Selhurst park if it is the old stand that runs along the side. A crush waiting to happen but that’s on the ground not on the booze. 

Okay, you might not want a beer before, during or after the game, but why should that ban others from doing so? As said a huge money spinner. I absolutely disagree with your sentiment that English grounds are awash with disgusting drunkards sinking 5 pints a game. Have literally never seen that, apart from some random twitter clip that gets posted once a year