The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, dumfriesbairn said:

Is it a coincidence that we ALWAYS sell the best players after the season ticket sale? Course not. The Vaulks 'punt' would have been plotted from the moment we offered Rankin 'training facilities'. Of the signings made, however, Craigen's nowhere near an Alston and Rankin's nowhere near a Vaulks. Given the goals both scored last season, that already is a huge minus.  (As two blanks out of three would suggest) On the plus side, Gasparotto looked more than decent today and actually looks like he's improving game by game. 

Players sold to down south tend to leave near or the start of our season. The end of the day, every player in Scottish football has a price tag, more so when in the final season of their contract, see Fulton, Taylor,Higginbotham

Craigen written off after a few games, Rankin after one, wit chance have we got. The real season starts on August, not these pre season league cup games.

I think we can all agree that Houstie has done fantastically well so far in getting the most out of his squad. You just have to continue wondering how his recruiting works. See, I'm not a scout but just through talking to football fans at the pub you'll here names that would be considered less "lazy" than some of the stuff he comes out with.

Bloke at Elliott's that was over from Ireland told me about a winger called Andy Hall (if I remember right) at Glenavon who got loads of goals, Billy Kee down at Accrington was involved in about 30 goals over the year (15 goals/15 assists roughly).

Are they any good? No idea, but there must be folk out there that can do a job in the Scottish Championship.

35 minutes ago, BottiBiabi said:

Rankin, Gasparotto and Austin the only ones I would give pass marks today. We lacked any sort of width today, so we need to invest in a right sided winger.

Can Muirhead also stop fucking bootin the ball away every time he gets it

Rankin pass marks but not Sibbald?

I'm getting horrible flashbacks to when McGrandles left and we replaced him with Tudur Jones.

Do the Bairns still think they're going to improve on their points total from last season?

No. I hope I'm wrong but I fear last season was our opportunity to go up. Houston would need to roll a six again. Our defence is strong but our goal threat from midfield has gone backwards and we don't seem to know our best striker combination

Next Saturday I'd play a mixture of younger players and regular starters. It's imperative that we get the centre backs and keeper used to each other, but I'd like to Austin getting game time and Sibbald giving us something (anything!) in the centre of the park.

Rogers

Kidd Gasparotto Watson Gallagher

Craigen Sibbald Kerr Hippolyte

Austin McHugh

St Johnstone are the perfect example of a small provincial club and what you can do with a decent bod making excellent decisions both on and off the park. Their certainly a country mile ahead of us.

I totally agree with this but should Saints be a country mile ahead of us. Aside of league positions at the moment we have the potential to be a bigger and better club. Is the issue our BOD and a lack of ambition as at the moment anytime we get any player who looks remotely decent our board are clamouring over themselves to flog them. There are numerous clubs in the Premiership at the moment who in my mind are smaller than us so where are we going wrong. It fucking frustrates me but I don't know the answer[emoji34]

11 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Every year Falkirk seem to lose their top striker and replace them. 

With an inferior player though. Farid was better than Taylor, Taylor was better than loy and loy was better than Baird. This season could be one too many for Baird so we need mchugh to stay fit until austin can acclimatise to going up two divisions.

Do the Bairns still think they're going to improve on their points total from last season?

Not sure, don't think anyone will improve on their points total from last season. The leagues much tougher this year and there isn't any easy games this year, it's some league. Still think we can challenge for promotion however. Obviously hibs and United are the favourites but I wouldn't rule us out of it.

Sibbs, Gasparotto, Austin & Rankin all got pass marks today from me.

Formation first half didn't work. Formation 2nd half did but I'd have subbed Baird at HT too along with Taiwo. Miller will work well with Austin IMHO.

3rd goal killed us & was against the run of play.

9 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Not sure, don't think anyone will improve on their points total from last season. The leagues much tougher this year and there isn't any easy games this year, it's some league. Still think we can challenge for promotion however. Obviously hibs and United are the favourites but I wouldn't rule us out of it.

Dunfermline and Ayr should be a bit better than Livi and Alloa but United replacing the **** has made the league easier IMO. I expect us to get more points than last season.

6 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Dunfermline and Ayr should be a bit better than Livi and Alloa but United replacing the **** has made the league easier IMO. I expect us to get more points than last season.

Problem for us is, we didn't actually do too badly against Rangers so in order to increase the total we need to be better against other sides. As you say, the others have gotten better.

I agree Dunfermline and ayr are much better than Livi and Alloa. The **** only took 6 points off us. Think everyone can beat everyone in this league on there day. Should be tougher but we'll need to see I suppose

No. I hope I'm wrong but I fear last season was our opportunity to go up. Houston would need to roll a six again. Our defence is strong but our goal threat from midfield has gone backwards and we don't seem to know our best striker combination

Our opportunity to go up was when Dundee went up. If we had wanted to we would achieved it. These custodians are happy in this league. They have no wish to go up. Fans have coughed up again, Houston builds a stronger squad and they then proceed to sell our best player. Pocketing whatever, replacing only the wage. They don't even have the decency to inform fans and shareholders what income the business received for the player.

Until the ownership of the club changes and the 6 or 7 who own 70%+ of the shares f**k off it will always be like this. During their 18 years in charge we have been in the lower league for 13 of them.