The Falkirk FC Thread

Rankin would have been ok as a back up had we kept Vaulks. Will give the guy a chance, few clips I saw of him last season he certainly looked like he was trying his best but I thought he looked a bit slow, but then again the whole Utd side looked well off the pace last season.  

You can usually tell it's a dire signing when the "need to give him a chance" patter comes out.

Is Taiwo fit for today? I've barely even looked at the teamsheets for the last two games but he wasn't even on the bench for the Albion Rovers friendly. I'd quite like to see him booting Alston into the stand.

You can usually tell it's a dire signing when the "need to give him a chance" patter comes out.

Is Taiwo fit for today? I've barely even looked at the teamsheets for the last two games but he wasn't even on the bench for the Albion Rovers friendly. I'd quite like to see him booting Alston into the stand.

He came on for Sibbald on Tuesday.

All the Elgin game showed us was that Houston has set the team up to play with Vaulks in the middle. Now that Vaulks is 100% gone it remains to be seen what he will do. I think trying to play with the same way with a Vaulks shaped hole in midfield won't work, but we have other talented players and he can focus on them and re-shape the team to take advantage. We've been crowbarring our midfielders into odd positions for ages and this might free up some of them to actually play in their preferred position. I'm not happy losing Vaulks but if we can play Taiwo in the middle of the park instead of wide right then that's something at least. Before his injury I thought Taiwo was a class act last season and Craigen looks like he could provide at least some of the drive we lose from Vaulks. Let's not also forget that Sibbald just behind the strikers always looks a hell of a lot better than sitting back in midfield or out on the left. Against Dundee last season we were in the game until he was pushed out wide. 

With regards to re-investing money in the team, where do you think the money that runs the academy comes from? I think it's almost certain that Houston won't invest that rumoured 500k back into a single player or even a couple of players because that's money to pay the wages of the entire youth team for the few years it takes to develop decent young players. As a system it's a gamble but way less of one than taking a punt on one player for a couple of hundred grand. James Collins, how did he work out for you Hibs fans? Kevin O'Hara could well be a fantastic player for us in a few years and Gallagher, Blues, Peggie, Stowe all look decent players. If even one of them goes on to have a cracking season for us before being sold for anything like 500k then the whole thing has paid for itself and we've gotten a season's worth out of a good player. Our cup run to the final was made up of a team that contained Sibbald, Grant, Alston, Biabi, Leahy and others who had played for the development team at various times before nailing down a first team place. Not every team can win the league, get promoted and be at the top table all the time. If we have another season as enjoyable as last year i'll be more than happy regardless of what happens regarding promotion. 

This^^
We have shown in recent seasons that we know how to develop young players. Okay Will Vaulks was a brilliant servant to the club and helped excite the fans and encourage his team as captain but why can't we bring through a young player rather than risk money on a player who is surplus to requirements at another club. I have seen Peggie and Blues and feel that they are ready to step up with perhaps getting last 30 mins in games this season.
If we want to continue to be seen as a location for good young players to develop we need to blend them in early. I think we benefit from our reputation and would be foolish to simply buy in a product from elsewhere

Mo Johnston had about 40 Scotland caps. Stainrod had played loads of games in the English top flight and had England youth caps. Kerr was generally praised. Miller was slaughtered I agree but at least you could see the logic behind it as he offered a different option.

Houstie says there will be no more signings. Bod are takin the utter pish. Well seen the season ticket early bird offer period had finished before our captain was flogged off . Never mind we'll be able to add best profit/loss figures 2016/17 to our list of honours now.

First one was a pen no idea why he gave penalty for second one and they were both shirt pulling for the third one. Never seen anything like it. However, playing one small target man up front we are asking for it. Their goalie hasn't made one save...not the way to set us up. Loads of small midfielders too. Taiwo kerry together never works and we keep hitting high balls over baird head. Sibbs looks up for it and kerry doing okay. Houston better set us up better second half