The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Chalmers never played centre half for us he was always played left back with Kingsley at centre half and the aforementioned abomination at left wing back.

Im pretty sure he moved into that position at least once, away to Raith rings a bell....tho could be thinking of someone else of similar ilk as memory isnt how it once was.....

Quite a few of the duffers mentioned either played with us in the top flight or probably still turned out for us more than I reckon Craigen and Kidd ever will. Most of our previous managers also managed to have at least one decent signing in a closed season compared to Houstons zilch last Summer.  Of course every signing cant be brilliant but these days managers live or die by their recruitment. The managers who tend to sign the better players tend to end up nearer the top of the table whilst those that sign pish tend to struggle . Its as simple as that. The poorer standard of the league this season gave us a real chance to push for promotion if we'd spent the budget correctly. Unfortunately we havent and thats let Hibs off the hook and may still let DU off the hook if we cant get a run going with the players we're left with.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Russ is right.

Yep, Jason Marr was the one I was thinking off, knew it was another centre half we seemed to have tried to make into a full back.

Marr is a player that Id rate worse than Chalmers, Ive never seen a right back get seriously bum raped as much as he did in a few games

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Mate, he must be genuinely one of our worst centre-backs EVER.

A big skelf who was scared to tackle or head the ball, and looked like he was about to burst into tears on a regular basis.

Mind you, so was I, having to watch that 10/11 side. Oosh.

Did we not supposedly poach him from under the noses of West ham or something like that.  Aye right! Pressley had some real shockers. I remember us signing Andy Haworth, Chris Smith and Johnny Flynn one year. That's right up there with last Summer in terms of shit close seasons. Other crackers I recall were Pele, Touthik zerara, Ross Perry, Jordan White and Iain Flannigan. 

Mate, he must be genuinely one of our worst centre-backs EVER.
A big skelf who was scared to tackle or head the ball, and looked like he was about to burst into tears on a regular basis.
Mind you, so was I, having to watch that 10/11 side. Oosh.

My da loved big Mehdi more than he loves me. He was absolutely praying he scored so he could go batshit

He did score once, at Pittodrie, where the ref (was it O'Reilly?) totally diddled us by awarding a last minute pen when that wee funt Chris Maguire crumpled under a passing zephyr.

Also scored the winner in a Stirlingshire Cup tie v Struggling Albion at Forthbank

35 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He did score once, at Pittodrie, where the ref (was it O'Reilly?) totally diddled us by awarding a last minute pen when that wee funt Chris Maguire crumpled under a passing zephyr.

Wasn't it the diving c**t Pawlett that went down like a felled tree when Mehdi Khalis looked in his direction? Referee blew for the penalty before he was halfway to the deck.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Wasn't it the diving c**t Pawlett that went down like a felled tree when Mehdi Khalis looked in his direction? Referee blew for the penalty before he was halfway to the deck.

Penalty was clearly awarded because the ref wanted to get back down the road rather than have the match go to ET.

Pre to this season Housties signings were maybe level or better judged v recent other previous managers.
I've never known a manager in my time to weaken us with technically two out and five in. I hope Austin comes good but and he is a player who hasn't been given a chance due to his injuries.
The majority of football fans are fickle, tho at Falkirk, we have some of the most moany faced b*****dos. A decent run in with a settled 11 and the majority of us will be happyish. We definetly over achieved last season but we still could over achieve as it stands. 
A handsome win next week will definetly have all of us say what crisis.....

I am both fickle & one those moany faced b*****dos you speak of. A handsome win would be nice but would merely paper over some considerable cracks. I think the cup final & our miraculous run of late goals last season also helped with the crack filling. These cracks were badly exposed in the play off final. We overachieved by one place last season & that was by the skin of our teeth & partly due to a Hibs implosion. For me Houston has not moved the club forward & along with the board have managed to almost eradicate all the goodwill generated from last season. Although I'm am fickle in terms of how I view players & the team, I like many others have turned out in fairly good numbers. I worry that without a decent team on the pitch and with a complete lack of ambition this too will be lost.

That season we genuinely lined up one week with a defence of Marr, McLean, Khalis, Twaddle.

That's just fucking horrific.

In the first game of the season I'm sure you had Marr at right back with Khalis at centre back, it was fantastic from my point of view IMO.

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Other crackers I recall were Pele, Touthik zerara, Ross Perry, Jordan White and Iain Flannigan. 

Agree with four out the five, but I seem to recall Pele as being superb. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if he hadn't got injured on our tattie field of a pitch at the end of January, I think we would have stayed up that season.

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We were at that game as part of my stag do and had a couple of bets along the lines of Khalis to get first goal and Falkirk HT/Aberdeen FT.

It was a f*cking good night out afterwards. :thumsup2