The Falkirk FC Thread

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 22:31, Believe The Hype said:

How fucking dare you!! Were you there when we nearly went bust, playing charity matches to raise funds ? Were you there when we were nearly relegated to the seaside leagues if it wasn't for Airdire going bust  just 16 years ago. Were you there when Kilmarnock put us down to this division in 2010 ? We are supporters of a non city club, and I thank every single one of us for not following either side of the arse cheeks, but let's be realistic, I am 30 years old, in 97 I went to a Scottish cup final and it was massive, once in a lifetime stuff!!  For me I was only a young lad so never appreciated the length of time we took to be there, 20 years later, I have managed another 2 plus 2 semis. 2 Scottish cup finals in the last 10 years 1 of which was just 2 years ago and within that time we have competed with 3 of the biggest clubs in the country. If you fucking dare call any of that mediocre, then you sir are a fool with delusions of grandeur. Should we be doing better ? That's up for debate at the moment, has Houston done well ? In the grand scheme of things, of course he fucking has. Now is the season to get on his back, to aim for what we should be doing, to call his tenure mediocre at best is the view of someone who does not grasp what it feels like to be a bairn in the darkest of times.

Chills reading this.

honestly wish you would gtf go support some other team with another manager and another board or just limit your life to one f you are f*cking tedious

Bottom line it's a fans forum and it is everyone's right to give their opinions. Just because do people have differing views does not mean they are wrong our should be told to go support someone else etc!

Every view is different and as times go past, people can actually change their views. I would have ditched Houston a long time ago BUT I must concede he has done really well since he took over given the strength of teams in the league at these times, sure we're carried some luck along the way but the records never lie so we've finished second in the league for 2 seasons now. If we finish 2nd again this season, will many see this as failure?

Good exchange of views should always be welcomed IMO

WE NEED AS MANY BAIRNS AS POSSIBLE!!!

We've finished second in the league for 2 seasons now. If we finish 2nd again this season, will many see this as failure?

I think if we don't get promoted this season then it will be seen as failure and Houston won't have his contract renewed.
I think he should absolutely be given the opportunity and backing to do it but this season is the real test of how far we've come under Houston and whether it was the other teams bigger budgets that have stopped us getting promoted.

2 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I think if we don't get promoted this season then it will be seen as failure and Houston won't have his contract renewed.
I think he should absolutely be given the opportunity and backing to do it but this season is the real test of how far we've come under Houston and whether it was the other teams bigger budgets that have stopped us getting promoted.

Support the club ?  Everyone will, or at least I expect they will no matter opinions on a forum. 

I've stood at Brockville and launched money into a sheet going round the ground, I've watched countless times FFC make good money from selling player's and then wondering where it went, add to that some dithering idiot now scaremongering fans over Brexit and how that could now affect the budget.

Numerous older supporters will have been through the same and will still always support FFC.

But the last three or four seasons have a different feel to me it's although the club are happy where they are mainly I suppose down to financial reward of a so called big name playing in the championship. 

So in my opinion if your serious about getting out of this league what better time than now, will it happen, I really have a bad feeling that we will struggle to make second never mind win it.

Hopefully I'm wrong. 

Curious re how season ticket sales will go this season. I renewed mine in the shop this morning where there were a few others and a father and daughter buying a season for the first time.

I do hope all those that rant on about spending big this season are rushing out to do their bit and get their tickets in early to allow the club to 'invest' in players. Otherwise if they are unwilling to put their hands in their pockets it would be nice if they just shut up.

I'm holding back to see who we sign first. I'm not investing in the team if the board dont. That's their fucking job. I'm merely a paying customer and I'm fed up paying for a cheap hard luck story every year.

Bottom line it's a fans forum and it is everyone's right to give their opinions. Just because do people have differing views does not mean they are wrong our should be told to go support someone else etc!

Every view is different and as times go past, people can actually change their views. I would have ditched Houston a long time ago BUT I must concede he has done really well since he took over given the strength of teams in the league at these times, sure we're carried some luck along the way but the records never lie so we've finished second in the league for 2 seasons now. If we finish 2nd again this season, will many see this as failure?

Good exchange of views should always be welcomed IMO

WE NEED AS MANY BAIRNS AS POSSIBLE!!!

I've been an avid reader on P&B for many years & only started posting relatively recently. Always liked it as it was just what how you described it, a good exchange of views and views that are often polar opposite but with one common factor, people that ultimately want the best for their team.

Very surprised by the reaction to a few of my recent posts. Yes they have been far from optimistic, and I can also accept I've largely focused on one issue, so can hold up my hands to being told they are tedious but to be told to f**k off and support someone is both laughable and embarrassing. Ignore my posts, challenge them, persuade me otherwise but to shout me down completely goes against the whole spirit of a fans forum in my opinion.

Furthermore if you have the time go back a few months, to January and have a look at what many were saying then. I don't think what I'm arguing so different to what many were calling for then.

On Friday, June 02, 2017 at 22:31, Believe The Hype said:

How fucking dare you!! Were you there when we nearly went bust, playing charity matches to raise funds ? Were you there when we were nearly relegated to the seaside leagues if it wasn't for Airdire going bust  just 16 years ago. Were you there when Kilmarnock put us down to this division in 2010 ? We are supporters of a non city club, and I thank every single one of us for not following either side of the arse cheeks, but let's be realistic, I am 30 years old, in 97 I went to a Scottish cup final and it was massive, once in a lifetime stuff!!  For me I was only a young lad so never appreciated the length of time we took to be there, 20 years later, I have managed another 2 plus 2 semis. 2 Scottish cup finals in the last 10 years 1 of which was just 2 years ago and within that time we have competed with 3 of the biggest clubs in the country. If you fucking dare call any of that mediocre, then you sir are a fool with delusions of grandeur. Should we be doing better ? That's up for debate at the moment, has Houston done well ? In the grand scheme of things, of course he fucking has. Now is the season to get on his back, to aim for what we should be doing, to call his tenure mediocre at best is the view of someone who does not grasp what it feels like to be a bairn in the darkest of times.

I think the very nature of Scottish football has held Falkirk back. From the sham in the late eighties with league reconstruction saving Motherwell and denying us promotion (with subsequent restructuring over the years playing their part) to the prem turning round and saying our ground with terracing wasn't good enough, only to turn round a few years later and say 'actually, it's ok to have terracing.' Shameful self-preservation and the SFA sat on their hands and did nothing  Still, proud to be a Bairn and proud we saved our club.

I'm holding back to see who we sign first. I'm not investing in the team if the board dont. That's their fucking job. I'm merely a paying customer and I'm fed up paying for a cheap hard luck story every year.

Although I don't want to support the Board it's NOT their job to put their hands in their pocket. It's their job to maximise the income to increase our chances of success and at the same time balance the books.

I cannot understand the attitude being expressed here. We have not spent the last couple of years fighting a relegation battle. We Re not an Ayr or a Raith.

I am really not clear what it is that some of our fans expect before they are willing to do their part to support the club TBH.

The situation is the same that faced Willie Cunningham in the late 60's

Talented group in the 21-25 range. With young players on the fringes desperate for a chance to play. Cunningham had a clear out and invested in class experienced players. George Millar at centre half, Alex Scott Midfield/Wing and Alex Ferguson and Andy Roxburgh up front. the 21-25 year old became better players and the youngsters improved every game. It was a glorious era for the Falkirk fans. Attacking football played in a sporting way with pace and skill. Image walking down the game wondering how many goals we were going to score today ! I did, and it was a good feeling

Get Finlayson , Gallacher , Blues , Shepherd and O'Hara in the starting line up from day one. The fans will get behind them and the team.

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Although I don't want to support the Board it's NOT their job to put their hands in their pocket. It's their job to maximise the income to increase our chances of success and at the same time balance the books.

I cannot understand the attitude being expressed here. We have not spent the last couple of years fighting a relegation battle. We Re not an Ayr or a Raith.

I am really not clear what it is that some of our fans expect before they are willing to do their part to support the club TBH.

We're customers first and foremost and I want to know what I'm buying before I hand over my money. 

We're customers first and foremost and I want to know what I'm buying before I hand over my money. 

I understand where you are coming from but supporting a team is more than just being a customer. There is an emotional as well as a financial investment and there will always be times when the "product" is not what we really want. You don't support a team like Falkirk if you can't handle frustration and disappointment, doesn't mean blind acceptance of the club line right enough.

Let's not get carried away, Nobody is asking the club to put us in financial difficulties, Nobody is stating that they won't buy a St.

Supporters seem to generally feel the same, let's see what the signing situation is in a few weeks then buy a St  if we feel that we won't be trying to sell it on Gumtree at Christmas for a Tenner.

I don't book a £3.000 holiday just because someone says it wasn't that good a hotel the last three years, but it might be better this year.

And why anyone would think I would be happy that we're not Raith Rovers or Ayr United is beyond me.

Fans from other club's can deal with who they support and voice an opinion about that, I'm voicing an opinion about a club that has such a bridesmaid tag I'm really beginning to wonder if they'll ever be a wedding. 

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Talented group in the 21-25 range. With young players on the fringes desperate for a chance to play. Cunningham had a clear out and invested in class experienced players. George Millar at centre half, Alex Scott Midfield/Wing and Alex Ferguson and Andy Roxburgh up front. the 21-25 year old became better players and the youngsters improved every game. It was a glorious era for the Falkirk fans. Attacking football played in a sporting way with pace and skill. Image walking down the game wondering how many goals we were going to score today ! I did, and it was a good feeling

Get Finlayson , Gallacher , Blues , Shepherd and O'Hara in the starting line up from day one. The fans will get behind them and the team.

Yeah until we start losing every week and then they'll disappear like snow off a dyke.  It was pish under totten the first time it happened and was pish under Pressley the last time we had to do it i certainly don't want to go back to either of those periods.

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Birthday caird pish.

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah until we start losing every week and then they'll disappear like snow off a dyke.  It was pish under totten the first time it happened and was pish under Pressley the last time we had to do it i certainly don't want to go back to either of those periods.

That's negative, the academy system gets the investment and rightly so. It has to produce the goods and give these players a chance. Not everyone will make it by many will. if they don't make it then we know the scouting and coaching system is not fit for purpose and do something about it. if they do make the grade we get the young talent producing the goods and get the financial payoff to invest further in the future when they move on. Remember the exact same thing being said to me when the likes of Abel , Shirra , Hoggan , Mcleod, Somner, Harley , Young, Fowler and Wheatley first started playing and went on to be good players for Falkirk. The other option is to go with journeymen and hope for the best and see where that got us.

I honestly think next season if we win a few games in the cup and get to say the quarter/semi final and finish in the play offs but don't go up that will satisfy the board and if Houston wants to remain and doesn't walk away he will be offered another contract. I on the other hand have got my season ticket already, on the assumption we are going to buy in the next month (naive I know) and will back his team but 1st is all I'm interested in this season. Couldn't give a toss about any cup runs, I want us to take this league by the scruff of the neck from week 1 and win it playing half decent football so we can get out this god damn league, it's been too long!! Anything less this season I would regard as failure.

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

Whit ?

Dear HopeStreetWalker,

with regard to your recent posting in the interwebular forum for devotees of kickball entitled "McDonald's finest and most perspicacious Meat Pastry and Beef Extract Drink".

I feel, Sir, that the evaluation by thy good self of the current prospects for the Falkirk Football and Athletic Club Ltd (Established 1876) vis-a-vis their prospects in the 2017-18 association football season might be somewhat misguided.

If I may expand thereupon, and perhaps promulgate one's own views on the matter, one would not hesitate to proffer the opinion that it is a historically unwise strategem to pursue excellence on the fields of sporting competition with one's favourites comprised, in the main, of a phalanx of callow youths whose mettle remains untested or, at best, of indeterminate quality. Historical precedent would strongly suggest that following such a strategy results, in the main, in a concatenation of catastrophes.

Yours etc,

Ranaldo Bairn (attendee since 1983 in case you wondered)

In short. just chucking in the youths and assuming the roads will be chock a block with millions of folk desperate to see their young heroes is, in fact, birthday caird pish.