The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Hard to believe but our first competitive game of the new season on Saturday v Stirling Albion. Assuming Sibbald has gone and no-one else comes in between now and then how would we like to see the team line up?

Thompson

Muirhead, Watson/Luca, Grant, Gallagher

Harris, Taiwo, McKee, Hippo

Loy, Austin

Mitchell, Finlayson, Watson/Luca, Kerr, Craigen, Miller, Shepherd/O'Hara

Thompson
Muirhead, Watson/Luca, Grant, Gallagher
Harris, Taiwo, McKee, Hippo
Loy, Austin
Mitchell, Finlayson, Watson/Luca, Kerr, Craigen, Miller, Shepherd/O'Hara

No place for Craigen who many think is the next nearest to a replacement for Sibbs?

I also tend to prefer Watson to Luca. Was really worried by the mistakes Luca made in the games at Tannadice. He really does not appear to cope well with players running at him with pace.

Mitchell

Finlayson
Watson
Grant
Gallacher

Harris
Craigen
Taiwo
Hippolyte

Austin
O'Hara

Thomson, Muirhead, Gasparotto, McKee, Blues, Loy, BSLM

I'd like to see something like that against Stirling. Obviously not how I'd line up against St. Mirren first game of the season but hopefully we use the 3 cup games (excluding the Inverness game) to continue to experiment and give every player some minutes.

1 hour ago, Bigbrbairn said:

He's one of our own. Only Gallagher looks likely to have that title this season sadly with Shepard and O'Hara on the sidelines. I know that the obsessives keep telling us that nobody is ready to step up but it is quite sad for a team renowned for developing players that we are now treated to journeymen

Technically none of them are "our own". TG comes from Clydebank, SS from Perth and KOH from Stirling. None of them grew up supporting Falkirk, so Sibbs is unusual in that regard, as Crunchie was before him. The best we can normally hope for is that folk who come from elsewhere develop a love of the club after spending a while playing for it. Miller & Kerr from your other post are certainly good examples of that.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not even a look at Harris, straight in with a player out if position ffs

McKee was excellent at right mid in the two games against United. Would be unfair to drop either him or craigen and taiwo has to play so we've got at least one midfielder who can tackle. Harris on the bench and will need to prove he deserves a starting spot in my mind.

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McKee was excellent at right mid in the two games against United. Would be unfair to drop either him or craigen and taiwo has to play so we've got at least one midfielder who can tackle. Harris on the bench and will need to prove he deserves a starting spot in my mind.

How's he going to prove that if he's not playing? Surely game time v the likes of Stirling would be the best time to play him?

Also McKee didn't exactly play wide right against Dundee Utd he was more right of a midfield diamond which with Hippo in midfield we can't really do imo.

Something I meant to add earlier but hopefully big Pete gets the armband this season. I'd imagine it's between him and Kerr but Grant is a natural leader.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I love Taiwo but he does not have to play

You've got to have someone who can tackle in there . McKee and craigen certainly can't and are far better pushing forward. Taiwo or in some cases Kerr will allow them to do that. 

I'd get Harris on once we've gone a couple of goals up. 

Also McKee didn't exactly play wide right against Dundee Utd he was more right of a midfield diamond which with Hippo in midfield we can't really do imo.

Something I meant to add earlier but hopefully big Pete gets the armband this season. I'd imagine it's between him and Kerr but Grant is a natural leader.

I'd be surprised if Kerr was expected to start regularly this season so surely it has to be Big Pete for captain.

18 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

How's he going to prove that if he's not playing? Surely game time v the likes of Stirling would be the best time to play him?

Christ they beat us last season. Get the game under control and then bring Harris on.

23 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Christ they beat us last season. Get the game under control and then bring Harris on.

I don't think you explain yourself very well. Maybe if you'd said that to start with I may have agreed with you?

Thomson

Muirhead Watson Grant Gallagher

McKee/Taiwo

Harris                              Hippo

Craigen

Loy             Austin

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Mitchell

Finlayson
Watson
Grant
Gallacher

Harris
Craigen
Taiwo
Hippolyte

Austin
O'Hara

Thomson, Muirhead, Gasparotto, McKee, Blues, Loy, BSLM

I'd like to see something like that against Stirling. Obviously not how I'd line up against St. Mirren first game of the season but hopefully we use the 3 cup games (excluding the Inverness game) to continue to experiment and give every player some minutes.

I like the thinking of the above, I think Loy has to start and I'd start with Thomson in goals for this one and get a life familiarity to start with, giving Mitchell game(s) later. I'd buy into that with them two changes.

I'd like to see Finlayson given a chance, 19yr old now and should be knocking the door especially with the competition ahead of him.

He's one of our own. Only Gallagher looks likely to have that title this season sadly with Shepard and O'Hara on the sidelines. I know that the obsessives keep telling us that nobody is ready to step up but it is quite sad for a team renowned for developing players that we are now treated to journeymen

Maybe ever thought they are not good enough?

Only based on 45 minutes in 33 degrees of heat whilst drying out but Finlayson looked the part in the game in Hungary. He certain did better then any of the other "kids" on show for me. Tall, quick and could get forward and put in a cross.