The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

DeeBairn managing to look like the most bitter c**t in all of this is some craic.

Oh, I'm not bitter at all. Just have very little spare time and I'm certainly not spending it reading messages from you frankly weird idiots. In the bag you go. 

Same, Pollok vs Talbot?

If you're not making money off this Falkirk team you're a mug. Connah's Quay were about 4/1. Ayr will be longer than evens.

I want to see this in the coming week: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/960281/Sporting-Lisbon-players-ATTACKED-ultras-Bas-Dost-injured

How’d Paul Gal play?

28 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

just watched the post match interviews. Joe McKee certainly seems up for the fight and just might have something to prove. looks like he's been putting extra shifts in at the gym too when out of favour to keep fit.

getting a bit tired of the "working hard on training" phrase we've heard a million times this season I just want us to win a game of football. starting to think were going to need some luck to get one, a sending off or dodgy penalty even just to get us off the mark.

very decent crowd of over 1600 today for a match like that. guessing it was the new manager effect and maybe some having never seen nomads before

I actually liked McKee in his time at Cappielow. But I can guarantee that Joe McKee will be the first player to go into hiding when you are looking for players to battle your way out this mess.

McKee can be very effective in a good team playing with confidence, but if you're pinning your hopes on McKee to battle it out it's already lost     

11 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I actually liked McKee in his time at Cappielow. But I can guarantee that Joe McKee will be the first player to go into hiding when you are looking for players to battle your way out this mess.

McKee can be very effective in a good team playing with confidence, but if you're pinning your hopes on McKee to battle it out it's already lost     

He did last season. For that reason, he was papped out by Hartley. McKinnon coming is a chance for McKee to avoid almost two seasons rotting in the reserves. If he doesnt man up a bit given the personal stakes, theres no hope for the laddie

While today was better, it's still a long way short.

The keeper has nothing to do apart from pick the ball out of the net.

The defence was patchwork. Did find but seeing as the Connah front row were absent all day, can't really comment on them.

The midfield is the main problem. Paton and Kidd are too similar. Both defensive minded. It's like have two Mark Kerrs in the midfield. While McKee has a goal in him, thanks to Hartley, is very lacking in match practice. Lewis is lost. Playing a right footed forward at left wing?? Not only the personnel were wrong, they are unable to read the game. When not in possession, Connah sat deep with two banks of 4 camped on the 18 yard box. They were happy for Falkirk to retain possession while in the first 2/3, and as soon as Falkirk moved up towards the 18 yard box, they used their rough tactics to boss the forwards. There was a huge 30 metre gap between the midfield 4 and the front 2. The was no runner from deep supporting the front row. The Connah defence were happy for Haber to win the long ball knowing that there was no runner in behind to win the knock on.

Haber can win a ball but Petra is winger, not a striker. He wasn't following the knock on.

i would have dropped the forwards deeper, sitting right in front of the midfield, forcing Connah to advance so as to engage with Falkirk and then use the ball over the top, utilising the pace of Petra and Lewis. Dunne would have offered more pace. Not pretty football, but a team needing a win and confidence need to to do what it takes.

If we can return to the 3-5-2 which best suits our squad, then lining up Petra, Greenwood, McKee, Irving, Dunne would be my favoured option. Robson was our best player, perhaps he can share game time with Dunne.

Up front, Haber is not offering enough. While Macklin looked dreadful a Firhill, he is scoring in the reserves and maybe the foil for Rudden.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

He did last season. For that reason, he was papped out by Hartley. McKinnon coming is a chance for McKee to avoid almost two seasons rotting in the reserves. If he doesnt man up a bit given the personal stakes, theres no hope for the laddie

Utter nonsense. McKee played in most games last season under Hartley. It was after the season finished that Hartley developed an issue with him.

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Do we have the most ineffectual forward line we've had in living memory?   If anyone is still saying the season is still young, the new manager will bring them together i think is kidding themselves.  Yes I think McKinnon will make them a little better but with zero goal scoring forwards we are completely f*cked.   At least Brechin fought last season, we are just laying over.

totally agree that this is a big part of the issue. The team looked better overall today, linked up better, kept possession better and got the ball up the park more (all relative to recent previous performances), but the goal scoring threat was again non existent. Teams should have a fear of the opposition scoring to keep  their back line/midfield on their heels somewhat, but for now there's not even a concern far less a fear. Haber and lewis have started consistently for the past few weeks and done jack shit in terms of scoring or even posing a real threat........thank Christ we at least have rudden to try and give us a threat going forward in the coming weeks.

all in all, with greenwood/irving/mcgee/rudden all in the side I expect we might see a result or two............hopefully.  

I think it shows how far we've fallen that we're hoping teenagers from Hearts and Rangers will come in and save the day, when just a few seasons ago, we were playing and beating both teams.

I've had my doubts about Hartley since pre-season but I never imagined he'd set us back 5 years which relegation would do.

I don’t think too many there today were surprised by either the result or the performance. We have seen variations on the same theme for about ten games now, and we know the defence can’t defend, and the attack can’t attack, and the midfield can neither attack nor defend. McKinnon now knows it too.

I was utterly pissed off after the QotS game, but now, it’s a bit like watching the same car crash over and over again. You do grow numb to it.

There were a few anecdotal tales today about the real reasons behind McKinnon’s departure from Morton, and it seemed broadly similar to Hopkin’s departure from Livingston.