The Falkirk FC Thread

24 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

did Scott Arfield not come from livingston as well??

He came from Murieston United, who're a community club in the Livingston area.

If you ever go through to their ground you'll see various bits of  memorabilia about him on their clubhouse wall. They're rightfully proud of someone they see as one of their own.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

You got telt last week and you still have the face to come on and still dig. Have you emailed Craig? We all know the answer to that - NO

My thoughts exactly, couldn't mark his neck with a blowtorch.

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

Will Vaulks was a miracle , he practically begged us to sign him , played for free and was a great player for us.

Name me 1 other player in the last ten years that we have sold for money that hasn't come through our academy - other than Will , Lyle Taylor & Mark Twaddle (about 600k in total).    

And I don't count  Biabi as he came into our U-17s.  

The academy players have brought in millions in the same period.  

Darryl Duffy. About 12 years ago but still, that's the model now.

Edit sorry @HopeStreetPieStall never saw your post.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Pretty sure that was part of the strategy with this summers recruitment find a couple of gems and then sell on to bring in some money there was only one drawback with that plan - it was bollocks

Sorry but that's bullshit. Absolutely nothing wrong with the strategy if indeed you make the correct signings. 

How many millions have celtic made in the last few years from player sales? Can't think of a single player of note that came through their academy. 

59 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

He came from Murieston United, who're a community club in the Livingston area.

If you ever go through to their ground you'll see various bits of  memorabilia about him on their clubhouse wall. They're rightfully proud of someone they see as one of their own.

Yes , straight into our academy

15 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Sorry but that's bullshit. Absolutely nothing wrong with the strategy if indeed you make the correct signings. 

How many millions have celtic made in the last few years from player sales? Can't think of a single player of note that came through their academy. 

That was my point the summers strategy failed on a massive scale, its not the fact it cant be done but you need the right scouting system/scout not a 4 or 5 min youtube vid of his best moments on a game and you definitely don't need a scout called Mitch.

Its a strategy that can work for us but we need the right person/persons in place i.e. not Hartley and not Mitch, which we have rectified.

11 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Yes , straight into our academy

10 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Last ten years I said , stick to the brief.

You'll be bringing up Syd Puddefoot next

nothing stopping us signing player @ 16 and them playing for the reserves/youth team, as was the case with names mentioned. you don't need an academy to do that

Trouble you have you uncover a gem like Vaulks but then you look at Ayr Utd with Shankland and you get  the likes of the OF sniffing about wanting to sign a 23 goal striker for 200k , even Sevco are back sniffing about Vaulks thinking they can sign him for half of what the likes Norwich, Villa and Stoke are going to pay for him.

30 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Three of their most important first team players came through their academy.

28 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Not sure how far you want to go back but in recent history :

Kieran Tierney

James Forrest

Calum MacGregor

Charlie Mulgrew

Aiden  McGeady

David Marshall

Shaun Maloney

Tony Watt

Stephen McManus 

John Kennedy

3  in the current Celtic & Scotland team , they do mix this well with the players they bring in from overseas and sell on for big bucks but they pitch this as a shop window for the EPL.  They also have their fair share of duds - they can afford this though.

We should never compare ourselves to them.   

With our current recruitment record I cant see us bringing in many that will be worth a few bob in the coming years.  Funny also how we made a 100k plus profit but had to close the academy in a shambolic way right before  christmas when there was clearly more than enough cash to keep it going.  

13 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

nothing stopping us signing player @ 16 and them playing for the reserves/youth team, as was the case with names mentioned. you don't need an academy to do that

No there isn't but when we had the academy , it was so much easier to persuade the right quality of young player to come to us because of the academy - like with Murray Wallace.  Yogi & Ross Wilson used the academy this way very successfully.

Now we get the dregs like Dallison & TOE or has been crocks like Bauben  

1 minute ago, Hank von Hell said:

No there isn't but when we had the academy , it was so much easier to persuade the right quality of young player to come to us because of the academy - like with Murray Wallace.  Yogi & Ross Wilson used the academy this way very successfully.

Now we get the dregs like Dallison & TOE or has been crocks like Bauben  

I would say it really comes down to scouting/recruitment rather than having an academy or not, there will be talent cast aside by larger clubs, it just a case of finding the right ones.

9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

With our current recruitment record I cant see us bringing in many that will be worth a few bob in the coming years.  Funny also how we made a 100k plus profit but had to close the academy in a shambolic way right before  christmas when there was clearly more than enough cash to keep it going.  

The BOD were falling over themselves in their rush to shut it down - Project Brave was a massive convenience to them.

True to form handled abysmally like the racism statement , the club crest copyright and ,who knows, the approach to Ray McK.         

12 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

On the whole , assuming you are never going to achieve a 100% strike rate on signings (unless you are Paul Hartley & it's 100% pish), Yogi did pretty well on recruitment. We saw some tremendous players at Falkirk including some all time heroes. I still look back on his time fondly although his tendency to fall out with players like Wallner to the detriment of the team and the Dad's Army experiment were big black marks on his managerial record.    

After he left we got the George Craig & Eddie May show from which we have never recovered.     

Mmm. I would disagree. When Yogi got a signing well, he got it really well. But his dross outweighed the good signings IMO.

The rot started in his last season. We were dreadful that season and would have been relegated if it wasn't for Higdon's backside. The cup final run papered over the cracks considerably. The rot started with the board's "next level" nonsense, which preceeded May.

7 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

I would say it really comes down to scouting/recruitment rather than having an academy or not, there will be talent cast aside by larger clubs, it just a case of finding the right ones.

Yes , that's The Brentford Model.

Brentford are currently 18th in the English Championship.

Leeds are top of the English Championship, managed by Marcelo Bielsa.

Bielsa has already brought in 4  players from the Leeds Academy this season to replace injured first team players seamlessly during their current 5 game winning streak. Bielsa has stated he does not want to spend money on  any new players in the January window , he will just coach & develop the young players who all play the same system at every level at the club.  

I'm pretty sure we used to do that. Now we do the opposite.

I know which I prefer.

9 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

The BOD were falling over themselves in their rush to shut it down - Project Brave was a massive convenience to them.

True to form handled abysmally like the racism statement , the club crest copyright and ,who knows, the approach to Ray McK.         

tbf on that of late i would say most clubs have handled their respective crisis/media wrong ICT over the instagram post, Dundee Utd with the blackface, Dunfermline  over their players/ground and just generally fife being fife.