The Falkirk FC Thread

37 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm not convinced mercer is any better than Doyle or any other right back we've had since Duffie. Why we've got 3 left backs in the squad and yet only one preferred right back is beyond me when it's still our weakest area of the park.

Long way away but Ryan Williamson is out of contract at the end of this season and I'd take him in a heartbeat. Mercer's very average so it's a good job he only got a 1 year deal. 

Edited by FFC 1876

5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Because when you're in the third division, you take what you can get. 

Yep, I doubt anyone in the 3rd tier of Scottish football are beating players away with a stick.

Or the 2nd tier for that matter, maybe with the exception of Hearts.

47 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Long way away but Ryan Williamson is out of contract at the end of this season and I'd take him in a heartbeat. Mercer's very average so it's a good job he only got a 1 year deal. 

I think both Partick & Dunfermline fans will tell you that he's not very good at defending. He does seem to be okay in an attacking sense though so, if we were going to play with wing backs, then I think he'd be a good option.

11 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think both Partick & Dunfermline fans will tell you that he's not very good at defending. He does seem to be okay in an attacking sense though so, if we were going to play with wing backs, then I think he'd be a good option.

Duffie was never the best at defending but made us about 3 good chances a game to make up for it. Duffie in the Farid season was a joy to behold and we were actually exciting to go watch that season with Higginbotham playing out his skin a bit like how Morrison is playing now.

Edited by FFC 1876

Duffie was never the best at defending but made us about 3 good chances a game to make up for it. Duffie in the Farid season was a joy to behold and we were actually exciting to go watch that season with Higginbotham playing out his skin a bit like how Morrison is playing now.
Wasn't the best at defending? Aye, ok, whatever.

Must have imagined Joe Cardle, being subbed, every time he came up against him. The time he (U19 int) replaced Jason Marr (U21 int), & showing him how it should be done, being the prime example.

It's almost akin to Wilson Young saying Paul Rutherford wasn't fast & being answered with "Try tying a ball to Allan Wells feet!".

17 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

Agreed with this with the exception of Francis. Toss up between Sammon and Dowds. Neither of them are great and we desperately need Keena back fit.

Sammon has had a good career and was not a bad player in his day but now strikes me as a bit of a has been Dowds is yet to prove himself but seems to get more shots away and has a better touch . I guess we need to try them both with Keena  and then decide. Sammons  lack of shots/ goals is a big concern for me ! Francis has raw potential but gives the ball way a lot. Overall however these four  are good enough for this level but Cove definitely have a better two. Let’s hope one or both get injured

40 minutes ago, Trump said:

Not a chance for me. I know Miller is slow and hasn’t played well at centre mid this season, but he’s streets ahead of Mercer who, as other folk have said, looked worse than Doyle.

He'll be meaning that Miller won't be available because of covid. 

Just because we're in the third tier shouldn't mean that if we're looking for a right back and someone says we've got a left back we say aye alright he'll do FFS. An attacking right back should be ideal for league one. Certainly better than Doyle and mercer who are pretty meh at both sides of the game. By the way has anyone noticed whose playing right back for queen's this season so we know who to expect next year?

Thought 4 was very harsh on us, plenty positives the biggest being Connelly back as he improves us massively. Once Kenna is back we are stronger again a strong run in December and with the transfer window open in January (if needed) and we could be in a very strong position this season. Games v thistle and airdrie are huge.

2 hours ago, kiddy said:

Wasn't the best at defending? Aye, ok, whatever.

Must have imagined Joe Cardle, being subbed, every time he came up against him. The time he (U19 int) replaced Jason Marr (U21 int), & showing him how it should be done, being the prime example.

It's almost akin to Wilson Young saying Paul Rutherford wasn't fast & being answered with "Try tying a ball to Allan Wells feet!".

Game of opinions but the fact you're using Joe Cardle as the almighty god of opponents speaks volumes. Duffie was brilliant going forward in his prime and very average at the back which is why he never got a better move elsewhere. Take a look back through the highlights of the Hibs 4-3 cup game as much as it pains me to point out their goals came from Duffie not watching his man. Who was that man you say? Alex Harris.

Edited by FFC 1876

Watched the game this afternoon. 4-0 quite harsh on us in some respects but we gave up some easy chances which players of Rangers' quality this season will take. Quite like what I've seen from Kelly so far, good engine getting up and down the full park. Wouldn't mind us asking Rangers for the kid King on loan at right back. Durnan is so so bad in possession. Makes sense to drop him completely given how dire he is at using the ball.

32 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Watched the game this afternoon. 4-0 quite harsh on us in some respects but we gave up some easy chances which players of Rangers' quality this season will take. Quite like what I've seen from Kelly so far, good engine getting up and down the full park. Wouldn't mind us asking Rangers for the kid King on loan at right back. Durnan is so so bad in possession. Makes sense to drop him completely given how dire he is at using the ball.

I liked the look of the other young kid Ciaran Dickson they brought on he looked very lively in the middle of the park. Albeit we're very much covered on the midfielder front but I think he'd add a bit of energy we've been lacking at times this season.

Edited by FFC 1876

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

I liked the look of the other young kid Ciaran Dixon they brought on he looked very lively in the middle of the park. Albeit we're very much covered on the midfielder front but I think he'd add a bit of energy we've been lacking at times this season.

Yes agreed. Would be a better use of a space in the squad than a couple of our left backs anyway. 

Just goes back to us not utilising our loans effectively especially seen as we have 6 available this season but then again that's something a DOF should be sorting so hopefully times will change going forward. PJ Morrison looks like a great signing but Deveney looks to have been a wasted panic moment. 

Edited by FFC 1876

57 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Game of opinions but the fact you're using Joe Cardle as the almighty god of opponents speaks volumes. Duffie was brilliant going forward in his prime and very average at the back which is why he never got a better move elsewhere. Take a look back through the highlights of the Hibs 4-3 cup game as much as it pains me to point out their goals came from Duffie not watching his man. Who was that man you say? Alex Harris.

Yes - Duffie had a good few howlers.

I remember him at Cappielow being skinned repeatedly by Billy McKay.

25 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Just goes back to us not utilising our loans effectively especially seen as we have 6 available this season but then again that's something a DOF should be sorting so hopefully times will change going forward. PJ Morrison looks like a great signing but Deveney looks to have been a wasted panic moment. 

A DOF, in Scotland's third tier? 😂🤣😂