The Falkirk FC Thread

He can defend but he's not quick off fhe mark so nippy wingers get the yard on him easily. He doesn't get up and down the park as much as Doyle but vice versa he doesn't give away 5 silly fouls a game like Doyle did due to his erraticness and lack of a brain. Like for example the Hearts penalty. There's better out there than Mercer but I think you get a solid 7/10 out of him most weeks. Doyle got 3 goals and 2 assists last season in 28 games. I don't think Mercer would be too far behind that in a full 28 game season.

Edited by FFC 1876

13 hours ago, CC52 FFC said:

Mercer is by far and away one of the worst players I’ve seen, even worse than roadrunner Doyle. 

Unbelievable he was one of the most improved/consistent players at Queens last season. Was a blow when he decided to go to Falkirk... 

Unbelievable he was one of the most improved/consistent players at Queens last season. Was a blow when he decided to go to Falkirk... 

There’s a regular tendency for us to sign half decent players who immediately turn to shit as soon as they pull on the navy blue.
No idea why though.....

No one disliked Mercer more than me at Palmerston. I thought he was comfortably the worst full back we had ever had. My view was the same for a very long time. He then seemed to grow in confidence and actually turned into a capable RB at this level. It sounds like it's the same thing happening here. He probably won't get the luxury of time at Falkirk that he did with us but I've seen enough of him to say he's comfortably capable at Championship level so can do a shift for Falkirk but it'll depend how patient your coaching staff are with him. I expect it won't he a lot. Is he out of contract at the end of the season? I'd be happy to have him back if Gibson calls it a day.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

He can defend but he's not quick off fhe mark so nippy wingers get the yard on him easily. He doesn't get up and down the park as much as Doyle but vice versa he doesn't give away 5 silly fouls a game like Doyle did due to his erraticness and lack of a brain. Like for example the Hearts penalty. There's better out there than Mercer but I think you get a solid 7/10 out of him most weeks. Doyle got 3 goals and 2 assists last season in 28 games. I don't think Mercer would be too far behind that in a full 28 game season.

7/10? I’ve yet to see him make it past 5/10 in any game I’ve seen him. We were much better with Gary Miller at RB. 

13 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Cultured centre back? Nae chance. As classy a left midfielder as I have ever seen in the navy blue. If at his peak now, an internationalist, no doubt about.
An absolute gold plated hero. Up there with Johnny Graham in the legend stakes. Never ever ever a centre back.

Ok thank you for the correction! 😄

I have definitely seen him listed as a defender, and pretty much every photo of him I've seen has him helping out in defence.

Doyle's problem was his dreadful crossing and giving away penalties with stupid tackles . Mercer doesn't seem to be any better at crossing has no pace and certainly doesn't have the fitness of Doyle. Both are mediocre at best.  We'll just need to wait and see what the new boys are like but it will be another nail in the coffin if they sit on the bench till may. M and M and Holt have had long enough to get loans organised so there is no excuses although it would have been far better if we'd got the loan signings right in October.

3 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Where exactly are you going to pull guys in their mid 20s who are of good enough standard in the middle of March? They will be in their prime and playing in the championship or Premiership. Two routes were available: either sign highly rated youngsters with a point to prove or guys at the tail end of their career who settled for lowland league for their last buck. For once I find it hard to criticise M&M for their signings. Neilson has had 7 starts in the Premiership this season and has trained consistently since August... I think he’s worth the gamble.

Hope it works out for them !

Just raised a point regarding two 17 year olds in the starting line up with the dropped players and their mates that are playing full of resentment.

Seen it all to often over the decades.

Suspect they will start on the bench and get a run if the games won in the last 20 minutes.

Got to be handled right or squad discontent on M&Ms hands.

13 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Hope it works out for them !

Just raised a point regarding two 17 year olds in the starting line up with the dropped players and their mates that are playing full of resentment.

Seen it all to often over the decades.

Suspect they will start on the bench and get a run if the games won in the last 20 minutes.

Got to be handled right or squad discontent on M&Ms hands.

These "mates playing full of resentment". Would that be the same group of players who, with a golden opportunity to put the title pretty much beyond the reach of every other club prior to the league suspension, turned in three atrocious performances, scored one goal and secured one point from nine? They've long since forfeited their right to any resentment or unhappiness at being dropped. I'd far rather an opportunity now be given to a 17-year old Fotheringham or Neilson than persist with a 25 year-old Mercer, or a 24 year-old Hall or 26 year-old Todd. Age is of no relevance. 

7 minutes ago, AGPar said:

These "mates playing full of resentment". Would that be the same group of players who, with a golden opportunity to put the title pretty much beyond the reach of every other club prior to the league suspension, turned in three atrocious performances, scored one goal and secured one point from nine? They've long since forfeited their right to any resentment or unhappiness at being dropped. I'd far rather an opportunity now be given to a 17-year old Fotheringham or Neilson than persist with a 25 year-old Mercer, or a 24 year-old Hall or 26 year-old Todd. Age is of no relevance. 

Correct you only have to look at the lift Sibbs gave us at 16/17 for proof if they're good enough they're old enough also at that age they shouldn't have a problem playing a few games a week. Hopefully got another striker or midfielder to come in as well as a back up goalkeeper to fully utilise our 6 loans. Where's all the people on here that said premiership clubs don't loan youngsters to this level? 

Edited by FFC 1876

1 hour ago, XabiaBairn said:

Geordie Gibson was a cultured number 6 for us.
He also played many games as a centre back where he was always in control and never had to break sweat.
I think he played some games at centre back with John Markie.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

The idea that a single f**k should be given about the happiness of a Mark Durnan or Conor Sammon is indeed a bit puzzling

Ok thank you for the correction! [emoji1]
I have definitely seen him listed as a defender, and pretty much every photo of him I've seen has him helping out in defence.

Remember, this was an era where midfield players didn’t really exist. You basically had a keeper, then two banks of 5.....RB and LB, centre half, right half, left half. Then the wonderful outside right, inside right, centre forward, inside left, outside left.
Being a left half, in theory, he part of the defensive five, but in reality, GG drove much further forward, and really was one of the first true midfielders with brilliant distribution to the forwards.

Geordie Gibson was a cultured number 6 for us.
He also played many games as a centre back where he was always in control and never had to break sweat.
I think he played some games at centre back with John Markie.

You getting your George Gibsons and George Millers mixed up I think.

52 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Remember, this was an era where midfield players didn’t really exist. You basically had a keeper, then two banks of 5.....RB and LB, centre half, right half, left half. Then the wonderful outside right, inside right, centre forward, inside left, outside left.
Being a left half, in theory, he part of the defensive five, but in reality, GG drove much further forward, and really was one of the first true midfielders with brilliant distribution to the forwards.

Heart in your mouth stuff as he walked it past 2 - 3 player in the box and passed it into midfield on his terms.

52 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

You getting your George Gibsons and George Millers mixed up I think.

George Miller the ultimate footballing center back. The best left footed player I have ever seen in a Falkirk jersey.

Inspired signing and transformed the team not only as a footballer but with his captaincy.

Tragic like so many hero captains it turned sour in the managers seat eg John Prentice