The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Can anyone throw any light on Dowds & Morrison not playing ? Had a rerun of Rennies post match interview and not even a question asked about them. Not convinced these interviews aren't stage managed since his petulant remark about Morrison and not being a doctor.

I'm sure Dowds has a hamstring strain. No idea about Morrison.

3 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I think you need to understand what whataboutery means.

Also I’m not trying to defend Sheerin so, once more, please don’t put words in my mouth.

You said Sheerin was in a tailspin so I’m asking you to explain why and what makes Rennie’s form so different?

Edit to add: I had a quick scan back at your posts during Sheerin’s last few games in charge and not once did you say Sheerin must go or that we were in a tailspin. 

You are getting tedious now. 
Once IMO Sheerin would have had us slip into relegation trouble. That can’t be proven however in Holts opinion the squad only needed cover at RB so I see no reason why the team would have not performed to the QP level.
I has not been good enough under Rennie but he has got enough out of it to fend that off just not near good enough to get us winning games against teams above us. That is where I see the difference. Of course it is my opinion and not fact so we will never find out  

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

We will agree to disagree then. I've seen a fair few games, the most recent being the U18s against Elgin 10 days ago and the standard was very very poor.

The 5-1 win? 

I was at it. I'm not sure what's happening in terms of age groups, but from what I could see most of the players in that game came from last years Under 18s, which IMO were the weaker of the two groups. 

Guest Ecosse83

If I had to choose between Sheerin or Rennie to manage us I’d pick Sheerin. Rennie has us performing worse with a better squad and no Holt lurking in the background. 

Obviously I want neither though 😂

Guest Caractacus Potts
8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You are getting tedious now. 
Once IMO Sheerin would have had us slip into relegation trouble. That can’t be proven however in Holts opinion the squad only needed cover at RB so I see no reason why the team would have not performed to the QP level.
I has not been good enough under Rennie but he has got enough out of it to fend that off just not near good enough to get us winning games against teams above us. That is where I see the difference. Of course it is my opinion and not fact so we will never find out  

Why should you find me tedious? Is no one allowed to ask you to explain your opinion on here, particularly when it doesn’t align with the facts.?

Also what’s this thing regarding Holt that I am just supposed to believe? Where did that get leaked from and why is it of any relevance to Sheerin being in a tailspin and Rennie not?

11 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Why should you find me tedious? Is no one allowed to ask you to explain your opinion on here, particularly when it doesn’t align with the facts.?

Also what’s this thing regarding Holt that I am just supposed to believe? Where did that get leaked from and why is it of any relevance to Sheerin being in a tailspin and Rennie not?

It is the same subject day on day that’s the tedious bit. You know where I am with this. You think Rennie is a dud, I am undecided. Lets wait and see. 
I believe it was mentioned at one of the meetings recently. Heard it from a few people. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

12 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Jacobs has been injured.

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

He is injured and is not able to give us more than about 10 minutes. No idea what is wrong 

No doubt I'll gather a few red dots for this, but this is the type of thing that really frustrates me.

Certain posters will just completely ignore the fact that the guy is carrying an injury and actually, IMO, hasn't been fully fit since he arrived. Instead they'll just jump on the opportunity to rubbish Jacobs, or Rennie, or both.

The bigger question IMO is, should he have been signed in the first place given the fact that he had been out for a long long time? I suspect that he was one of two or three midfielders that we hoped to get in rather than be the main man in the middle. Don't suppose we'll ever know?

Guest Ecosse83
15 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is the same subject day on day that’s the tedious bit. You know where I am with this. You think Rennie is a dud, I am undecided. Lets wait and see. 
I believe it was mentioned at one of the meetings recently. Heard it from a few people. 

I heard when Rennie came in Holt only had 1 player on his list of potential signings, criminal that he was employed at our club 😡

Just my opinion, but I would think that had Rennie actually got us into the top 4, (for argument’s sake, let’s say we had 8 points more than we have now), then his presence next season would already be rubber stamped. No transformation needed. MR & KM plus 7 players would make those extra points very achievable.

That he has slowly fallen below Sheerin’s results curve was never expected to happen, it was never part of the script. The fact that it has turned out that way, the fact that MRs better results happened earlier rather than later in his time with us (you would expect it to be the other way around), has to have brought about a rethink.

MR said “this is what a turnaround looks like, it’s not all win win win.” I can’t agree. This is not what a turnaround looks like…….this is what “failing to make any meaningful difference” looks like.

We each have our opinions as to why he has been unable to improve matters.

As for Holt, the “12 hour days, and 3 players for every position” stuff was, as many suspected, absolute horseshit. The damage he has inflicted on FFC is huge. An appalling decision to let him back in the door.

1 minute ago, Onthegoalline1876 said:

Yes I heard that too, completely unacceptable and unbelievable.

I am sure Rennie said there were two names on a sheet of paper, and that was it.

Guest FFC1965

If the BOD genuinely believed that Rennie was somebody who could get more out of the existing squad then it was a logical choice, albeit one that I believe has proven to be a mistake. 

The BOD sensibly gave themselves a get out clause by appointing MR for an initial 6 months.  In my line of work its fairly normal to try somebody out on a fixed term contract before you decide whether or not to offer them a permanent position (and they get to decide whether or not they want to stay).  It cuts both ways and a successful Rennie might by now have been courted by Championship teams but safe to say his name isnt on the lips of any Chairman of clubs sitting 26th or higher in Scotland.       

Looking on the bright side it appears that the club now has people involved who actually understand what a fixed term contract actually is (see the McKinnon / Morton fiasco for what happens when you don't understand how these things work).  

I get the impression that for the BOD Rennie is "their man" and as a result I expect they will let him have another throw of the dice for next season.   It'll be sold on the need for continuity and the fact that there's been too much of a revolving door at the club in recent years with the usual Falkirk Family / charity donations bollocks to try and guilt fans into renewing STs and Ive no doubt that enough (1,500+) will .

I might have made my mind up too soon, but as MR was heralded as the guy who would get more out of the existing & underperforming squad the reality is that he has not been a success, as evidenced by the WDL numbers that matter.  I accept that we might have been on an ever poorer trajectory under Sheerin but imho not materially.  If we cant get better than Rennie, we're screwed.    

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you're getting a version of Tommy Wright that's happy to drop to the 3rd tier to manage, then you probably don't want him.

I don't think his heart was ever really in it at Kilmarnock tbh, and it showed.

My fear exactly!

Guest Caractacus Potts
54 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I was replying to something you had said. If it is tedious then maybe don’t continue to try and paint things different than what they are. You think Rennie can turn it around then fine but there is no basis of proof that he’s any better than Sheerin.

18 minutes ago, FFC1965 said:

If the BOD genuinely believed that Rennie was somebody who could get more out of the existing squad then it was a logical choice, albeit one that I believe has proven to be a mistake. 

The BOD sensibly gave themselves a get out clause by appointing MR for an initial 6 months.  In my line of work its fairly normal to try somebody out on a fixed term contract before you decide whether or not to offer them a permanent position (and they get to decide whether or not they want to stay).  It cuts both ways and a successful Rennie might by now have been courted by Championship teams but safe to say his name isnt on the lips of any Chairman of clubs sitting 26th or higher in Scotland.       

Looking on the bright side it appears that the club now has people involved who actually understand what a fixed term contract actually is (see the McKinnon / Morton fiasco for what happens when you don't understand how these things work).  

I get the impression that for the BOD Rennie is "their man" and as a result I expect they will let him have another throw of the dice for next season.   It'll be sold on the need for continuity and the fact that there's been too much of a revolving door at the club in recent years with the usual Falkirk Family / charity donations bollocks to try and guilt fans into renewing STs and Ive no doubt that enough (1,500+) will .

I might have made my mind up too soon, but as MR was heralded as the guy who would get more out of the existing & underperforming squad the reality is that he has not been a success, as evidenced by the WDL numbers that matter.  I accept that we might have been on an ever poorer trajectory under Sheerin but imho not materially.  If we cant get better than Rennie, we're screwed.    

Having been given the opportunity to let him go, I think the BOD will take it and nobody could criticise them for doing so IMO. Having said that, I don't think Rennie will want to stay anyway and it seems that Miller is already trying to get more into a media role.

My fear is that they'll have to offer a new manager a decent length of contract so, if they get it wrong...

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

My fear exactly!

Due to our track record there will be a limited amount of managers interested and goodness knows if from that limited pool there will be an individual with the skill set or the quality to turn us round.

Tommy Wright would be a risk but so will any manager we take on. 

Rennie only has himself to blame, just look at some of the results/ performances he has presided over: 

Falkirk 1 - 2 Clyde

Falkirk 1 - 1 Peterhead 

Clyde 1 - 1 Falkirk

Peterhead 1 - 0 Falkirk

That's 10 needlessly dropped points against poor teams, otherwise we'd be sitting comfortably in the play-offs. Even if we'd still been scudded by Airdrie, Cove etc there would be lots of talk of 'improvement' and he'd probably already have signed a contract for next season