The Falkirk FC Thread

I'd probably prefer to see him start on the bench. By that I mean that it would be great to have 2 strikers in front of him that we could rely on to be banging in the goals most weeks but he would certainly be someone that could make a difference when coming on.

In other words, someone who would be a valued member of the squad that we could rely on if needed.

When he came to us, it was envisaged that Lyle would be assuming the role outlined above, but Lyle himself had other plans.

I think Baird is certainly a decent striker at this level, but he didn't show enough at Queens, for whatever reason. It happens.

He's certainly missed his fair share of sitters this season, but he's the first striker we've had for a while who I'd put my money on in a 1v1. Certainly better than Lyle Taylor :thumbsdown

I'm quite happy to see him start, especially buzzing around a strong partner like Lee Miller.

He's a decent striker at this level as long as he's not stuck up front on his own. At home with one up front against teams erring on the defensive he doesn't get much of a sniff but away from home with two up front against teams that are actually attacking you he's done well.

I have said numerous times that you waste a jersey when you play Baird up front on his own. Okay he will run his heart out but he needs someone there with him to play off. Look at Saturday

Sent from my iPad using Pie & Bovril

He was magnificent on his own up front at Ibrox last season.

The toothless passing game that got us into Europe, won this crappy league twice, finish seventh in the country twice and never saw us relegated from the top flight.

If you think this is more exciting or better than any of the Yogi seasons except 03/04 you need sectioned. We've been shite every season since the big man left.

EDIT: The football under Yogi was a joy to watch too.

I would not agree with that.

We got increasingly poorer and ineffectual when Latapy hung up his boots. It was a joy to watch when he was in the side.

Its just a shame that Hughes could never get a team to play for a whole season. Every year things were great up to Christmas and then awful between then and the split when we'd usually pick up against the dregs of the league. Hibs fans I've spoken to said it was the same there. Once other teams had worked us out there was no plan B to speak of. Unfortunately him dropping his formula which just about got us into the top 6 to spunk money on players that were finished and BOB means his time at the club will always be tainted.

When he came to us, it was envisaged that Lyle would be assuming the role outlined above, but Lyle himself had other plans. I think Baird is certainly a decent striker at this level, but he didn't show enough at Queens, for whatever reason. It happens.

Sometimes a club just fits a player... How is Mark Millar doing ?

I like Baird, there have been games he has been up on his own and done a job but I do prefer him with a partner, mainly Miller tho him an McHugh combined well, it just didnt seem as effective. He is a bit mental and gives 100%, tho does have the occasional game where he looks like he hasnt seen a ball for a month or so . I am sure he will hit the 15+ goals I predicted, that's if penalties count

Did Latapy sign all their best players to other clubs and injure all the ones who stayed?

How could he, he is not there. Trust me ICT will struggle to stay up this season

How could he, he is not there. Trust me ICT will struggle to stay up this season

It's about time the 4 non events of ICT, Ross C, Hamilton and St Johnstone were replaced with Rangers, Hibs, Falkirk and Dunfermline/St Mirren.

What a riddy looking at they 4 above us

It's about time the 4 non events of ICT, Ross C, Hamilton and St Johnstone were replaced with Rangers, Hibs, Falkirk and Dunfermline/St Mirren.

What a riddy looking at they 4 above us

Jealousy is not a good look. You should also look up merit in the dictionary.

There is some serious rewriting of history here. Plenty of football under Hughes was impotent rubbish dressed up as nice passing and effective possession retention. Problem was it was all in our own half.

Sometimes he signed strikers who knew how to feed off Latapy, mostly we didn't. I do agree once Latapy left we looked utterly hopeless. Not that there was any succession planning. Unless Kevin McBride was the replacement.

It's probably an age thing, what your own personal experience of watching Falkirk is. If you grew up watching us in the SPL then this is probably torture right now. In the grand scheme of things it's OK.

So the season we finished 7th, then the season after when we got to the cup final and qualified for Europe while staying in the top flight was, and I quote, "utterly hopeless", but scrubbing around in the second tier "in the grand scheme of things it's OK"?

whit

Chill. In my experience this is OK. In your's, I'm guessing not.

Finishing 7th was great but I've experienced better. I do not and will never accept a final day escape as being anything less than hopeless, especially as it followed hot on the heels of said 7th placed finish. Hughes was responsible for some terrible, terrible football. I see no reason why a cup final papers over the cracks back then while last season is seen as some kind of disaster. Our budget has got to be a tiny fraction of what we spent under Hughes.