The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I like the look of that team, I’d maybe be tempted to try Lawal instead of Max as he is something of an unknown for the Pars. Happy to start with Max though and introduce Ola through the game.

He played through here in the 2-0 game? Did ok first half but will still be having nightmares about Matty Todd destroying him in the second. Wasn't he partly responsible for the chance we got the corner we ultimately scored (or "scored") from?

Sorry, juat realised you meant Lawal. As you were. 

Edited by Salvo Montalbano
Made a c**t of it

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

It would be closer to being a success if we took the title race to the last day. For it to be virtually gone with 20% of the season remaining is very dissappointing. Dunfermline haven't done anything remarkable apart from be consistent. Something we have failed to do for 4 years now.

Don't agree with that.

It would be closer to being a success if we took the title race to the last day. For it to be virtually gone with 20% of the season remaining is very dissappointing. Dunfermline haven't done anything remarkable apart from be consistent. Something we have failed to do for 4 years now.

Makes me ill to say it but only losing one league game at this stage of the season is actually pretty remarkable.

Just now, latapythelegend said:

Apart from a decent run in the middle of this season, we've never really had any.

I'd say it was a bit more than a decent run. we went 15 games unbeaten in League/Scottish Cup in which only 3 were draws. I am now nervous for the playoffs due to the recent form but I have a feeling everyone is overreacting (myself included) to these past few results.

16 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I'd say it was a bit more than a decent run. we went 15 games unbeaten in League/Scottish Cup in which only 3 were draws. I am now nervous for the playoffs due to the recent form but I have a feeling everyone is overreacting (myself included) to these past few results.

Up until Clyde I thought there was an over reaction by some, after Clyde I started feeling the same. 2 points out of 12 and zero goals scored is a bit of a worry. Winning on Saturday would be massive for morale more than anything else. 

1 minute ago, Believe The Hype said:

Up until Clyde I thought there was an over reaction by some, after Clyde I started feeling the same. 2 points out of 12 and zero goals scored is a bit of a worry. Winning on Saturday would be massive for morale more than anything else. 

And ticket sales 

16 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Agreed. The lack of goals is worrying but we have to remember we're the second highest goalscorers in the league so we definitely have goals in us, it's just about refinding the goalscoring form

It’s indisputable that McGlynn has improved us significantly, but I always thought that any chat of “we’ve had a great season” was premature to say the least. Yes, we finished 6th last year, and even though the team we had was dreadful, I think it would still be fair to say that they under-performed under terrible management. McGlynn is a proper, proven, competent football manager, so he wasn’t really going to do any worse.

Still lots to play, but we really need to buck up our ideas soon. Some may find this harsh, but I genuinely believe that any season Falkirk spend in the third-tier where we don’t gain promotion via either winning the league or the play-offs cannot be considered anything other than a failure. It doesn’t really matter where we finished last year, or how we played up until that point.  This could, of course, be off-set by anything we might pull off in the cup, but realistically, our expectations are very low on that front. Over the months, I’ve been full of praise for McGlynn for most of this season and still think he’s done a very decent job so far, but his rigidity/stubbornness is beginning to annoy me a bit. Things need to kick into gear again, starting on Saturday.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

I think Saturday’s game is a massive tone setter for the rest of the season.

If we lose to them again it’s nearly impossible to see how the players are going to lift themselves for the rest of the season, including the semi-final and hopeful playoffs.

A win and decent performance would hopefully see us go through the gears again and would lift everyone. 

Really hard to overstate how important it is that we bounce back at the weekend.

18 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

If we lose to them again it’s nearly impossible to see how the players are going to lift themselves for the rest of the season, including the semi-final and hopeful playoffs.

A win and decent performance would hopefully see us go through the gears again and would lift everyone. 

Really hard to overstate how important it is that we bounce back at the weekend.

100% agree. Huge game, even more so than normal. 

24 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

If professional footballers can’t get motivated for promotion playoffs and a Scottish Cup semi then they are in the wrong job.

14 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

If professional footballers can’t get motivated for promotion playoffs and a Scottish Cup semi then they are in the wrong job.

I agree, however I feel like it sub-consciously affects them. Going into the playoffs / semi on good form is much more desirable than the opposite

Apart from a decent run in the middle of this season, we've never really had any.

We have lost two league games since losing to Dunfermline at the start of November  and are in a SC semi. I think had you said that when we lost to them at home most would have grabbed it with both hands. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

24 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

We have lost two league games since losing to Dunfermline at the start of November  and are in a SC semi. I think had you said that when we lost to them at home most would have grabbed it with both hands. 

That kind of form is literally what is required to be a title contender though. It is literally the minimum expectation for Falkirk in League 1 to be able to go on runs like that. Nobody would grab it with both hands if it still meant us being 7/8 points behind in mid-March. 

At the end of the day, our poor spells in autumn and in the last few weeks have balanced the good run. 

I just don't think we can look at a season where at best taking 4 points at best from your nearest challengers and biggest rivals can be seen a a successful while they walk to the title.