The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
Just now, ShaggerG said:

No,  I was saying that the last time we had this many wins was when we were in the league with sevco  then the following season with Hibs 

Sorry didn’t understand the point then as 16 wins in a much tougher league does suggest we should be doing better in League 1, albeit with 6 games left to play. 

30 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Was a time when fair criticism was allowed and the only agendas people were accused of was of trying to protect the club’s hierarchy. 

I’m not saying any more than I don’t find McGlynn is proving to be as good a manager as was made out. He’s improved us and his recruitment has been good but tactically he’s been pretty average. 

This forum over the past year seems populated by some friends who won’t allow any criticism. Look back at Martin Rennie and what was said at the time of his tenure as opposed to Sheerin. As I said before at least I’ve been consistent and at least try to back up any claims I make. 

Criticisms of Sheerin, Rennie, and the board when we were 6th in the league, papped out of every cup instantly, and heading for financial ruin. Currently 2nd in the league, in a Scottish Cup Semi final, financially on the up due to tireless efforts from the staff and board (and a Scottish Cup run helped by having an actual manager who was appointed by the new board).

And yet, the ONLY time I see you post is for criticism (Don't pretend it's just about Mcglynn - you were on here the other day having a pop because the Falkirk board was contributing to global warming FFS). That is why motivations are being questioned. 

1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Sorry didn’t understand the point then as 16 wins in a much tougher league does suggest we should be doing better in League 1, albeit with 6 games left to play. 

Exactly, we should be doing better, but we're not because we've been shite for the past few seasons. The point is we've managed 16 wins for this first time in yonks, so we're improving. IMO of course. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
11 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Criticisms of Sheerin, Rennie, and the board when we were 6th in the league, papped out of every cup instantly, and heading for financial ruin. Currently 2nd in the league, in a Scottish Cup Semi final, financially on the up due to tireless efforts from the staff and board (and a Scottish Cup run helped by having an actual manager who was appointed by the new board).

And yet, the ONLY time I see you post is for criticism (Don't pretend it's just about Mcglynn - you were on here the other day having a pop because the Falkirk board was contributing to global warming FFS). That is why motivations are being questioned. 

Said to you I only tend to post when being critical. I don’t think that’s completely unusual for folk to do on a forum. 

I have given some credit and I think I’ve been fair with criticisms. I actually defended the club regarding the online sales before realising it could have been achieved. Others were just as critical but went quiet when they realised it wasn’t purely down to the SFA. 

Things seem to be a lot better at the club, to that there is no doubt but again don’t think I’ve been unfair with any comment. Got as much stick questioning the signing of Griffiths too. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Was a time when I enjoyed the fairly intelligent exchange of views with fellow Bairns and the occasionally vicious banter with rival fans but P&B is sadly beginning to resemble the dying days of One F.

Grim reading on the whole.

Guess who red dotted this.

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Said to you I only tend to post when being critical. I don’t think that’s completely unusual for folk to do on a forum. 

I have given some credit and I think I’ve been fair with criticisms. I actually defended the club regarding the online sales before realising it could have been achieved. Others were just as critical but went quiet when they realised it wasn’t purely down to the SFA. 

Things seem to be a lot better at the club, to that there is no doubt but again don’t think I’ve been unfair with any comment. Got as much stick questioning the signing of Griffiths too. 

Why?

34 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Guess who red dotted this.

I was going to hazard a guess without checking but decided to look in case I made an arse of myself. I wouldn't have made an arse of myself. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
On 06/05/2022 at 09:25, Caractacus Potts said:

Think McGlynn is a smart signing by the board. If it doesn’t work out then we can’t say it was a risky move as he’s the exact type of manager we need right now. Going to be a hard season but look forward to seeing what signings he brings in and hopefully seeing a bit of consistency with results. 

On 09/06/2022 at 23:22, Caractacus Potts said:

Think McGinn is a great signing. Would rather get in quality like that and have tireless workers surrounding them than a team of players who think their League One superstars. Won’t know how things pan out till we see the team play but more positive that McGlynn knows what we need to escape this league than any of the last lot. 

On 15/07/2022 at 07:20, Caractacus Potts said:

I wasn’t expecting to read that either. Had to check it was still 2022!

As for Kai Kennedy, I haven’t seen him much but heard he’s a good prospect. To be honest I trust McGlynn with any signing at the moment. Knows the game and knows what he requires to get out this league so any signing he makes I expect that they’ll be a lot more useful than previous managers. 

On 07/11/2022 at 00:17, Caractacus Potts said:

Is there a chance we’ve bigged up McGlynn as a much better manager than he is? He was a sound enough appointment but it’s not like he was in high demand and the way he gets talked about sometimes makes him seem infallible. 

No doubt he is better than Sheerin but we’re only 2 points better off than this time last year. 

Not saying we shouldn’t back him but the expectation doesn’t quite match up to his accomplishments as a manager.

That’s now 6 points out of the last 4 home matches. Don’t care who’s in charge but that’s not good enough. We’ll never get out of this league if we consistently drop points in matches like this. 

On 03/12/2022 at 20:46, Caractacus Potts said:

Not sure how to quantify that as Miller and McCracken had better results over the same amount of matches. Not saying they’re great managers or McGlynn is poor but still has a lot to prove in being a good Falkirk manager. His win rate in the league is only marginally better than Sheerin’s. 

On 04/12/2022 at 10:37, Caractacus Potts said:

I thought we were seeking a manager who could beat Airdrie at home and aspire to gain more points than previous managers? 

Surely at some point McGlynn has to bear some responsibility for our poor form? 

8 points in the last 6 is the exact same number of points Sheerin amassed in his last 6 in charge. 

There have been plenty of comparisons about how much better McGlynn is than previous managers so surely it’s only fair to compare when things haven’t been going so well? 

On 04/02/2023 at 22:33, Caractacus Potts said:

To win 5 on the trot and dig out results like that is brilliant. Definitely looks like we are ridding ourselves of the soft mentality that has plagued us the last few seasons. 

I’m not always critical but surely I have the right to be able to use the forum as a place to share frustrations rather than give praise? There was a lot of equally critical folk like me last year and sure they weren’t getting accused of having some elusive agenda! I was skeptical of Sheerin and Rennie but gave them a chance; I was skeptical about the deal with Clarke Epos but few wanted to listen; I was skeptical of the Rawlins and all they were supposed to bring; I thought Griffiths wasn’t worth the money and several other thing which I took stick for at the but think I was being fair and largely proven right about it. Don’t get anyone wanting to bring that up as part of being castigated. 

Anyway the above is some of my ‘narrative’ for McGlynn. Feel like I’ve been fair as with most criticism. I don’t get too carried away but did get behind him and still not suggesting anything other than he still has a lot to prove to me anyway in being this great manager. Again time will tell but if he does get us through the playoffs then I’ll be delighted to come on here to credit him for it. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
48 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I was going to hazard a guess without checking but decided to look in case I made an arse of myself. I wouldn't have made an arse of myself. 

Almost as predictable as the person who gives me regular red dots on here. Same person who used to give me green dots till a year ago, oddly enough! 

3 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Ok so only gaining 4 points vs Kelty is acceptable because they’re full time. 

You’re not going to budge because there’s no way you can show that either League is much easier. 

Dunfermline aside we should be expecting to beat every team in this league. I would expect us to beat Queen of the South, Kelty and Airdrie just as much as Cove, East Fife and Dumbarton. The odd result is acceptable but unfortunately we’ve had too many poor results and not laid a glove on Dunfermline. 

Kelty are not full time and never have been.

And you dont think as a group of 3 QoS, Kelty and Airdrie are a more difficult set of opponents than Cove, East Fife and Dumbarton? Really? 🤔 Falkirk are bigger than all of them and should expect to beat all of them more often than not, but the former group are clearly generally stronger and more difficult opponents even allowing for Cove's recent foray into the league above.

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Kelty are not full time and never have been.

And you dont think as a group of 3 QoS, Kelty and Airdrie are a more difficult set of opponents than Cove, East Fife and Dumbarton? Really? 🤔 Falkirk are bigger than all of them and should expect to beat all of them more often than not, but the former group are clearly generally stronger and more difficult opponents even allowing for Cove's recent foray into the league above.

Who are the 3 other full time clubs in League One then? 

Airdrie were in the league in 2020/21 and were a better team then albeit fairly marginal.

Cove in 2020/21 are clearly better than Kelty or QoS this season.

East Fife also had more points/game in 2020/21 than Kelty or QoS this season. 

Dumbarton were rubbish so can give them but again that’s to forget the fact that Montrose, Peterhead and Clyde were better teams in 2020/21 than they are now. 

I’d say neither league is any better however I’d rather be faced with Dunfermline as main title contenders than Cove and Partick. The rest are fairly negligible. 

4 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Was a time when I enjoyed the fairly intelligent exchange of views with fellow Bairns and the occasionally vicious banter with rival fans but P&B is sadly beginning to resemble the dying days of One F.

Grim reading on the whole.

I agree, I post very rarely now after 20 years of being on P&B. I get the feeling my days are numbered as it’s the same old pish these days.

46 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Livingston has released their Annual Report. Loss of £850k. Cash balance fell by 1/3rd to £1.7m. £1.8m COVID loan from the Scottish gov't really came in handy. Directors predict 22/23 loss of £400k & breakeven in 23/24.

What a mess

Its looking likely that they'll get a chunk of money when Dykes leaves QPR this Summer, plus Nouble (and maybe Bruce Anderson) are likely cash sales too.

They seem to be setting up their next cash sale with Bradley just now too.

Player trading is so, so, important for Scottish clubs. I'm not meaning this in a trolling way at all despite how it sounds, I've just genuinely no idea where you're at with it, but hows your youth system getting on just now? Sure I'd seen it was getting restarted.

50 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Livingston has released their Annual Report. Loss of £850k. Cash balance fell by 1/3rd to £1.7m. £1.8m COVID loan from the Scottish gov't really came in handy. Directors predict 22/23 loss of £400k & breakeven in 23/24.

What a mess

That’s one set of books…

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Who are the 3 other full time clubs in League One then? 

Airdrie were in the league in 2020/21 and were a better team then albeit fairly marginal.

Cove in 2020/21 are clearly better than Kelty or QoS this season.

East Fife also had more points/game in 2020/21 than Kelty or QoS this season. 

Dumbarton were rubbish so can give them but again that’s to forget the fact that Montrose, Peterhead and Clyde were better teams in 2020/21 than they are now. 

I’d say neither league is any better however I’d rather be faced with Dunfermline as main title contenders than Cove and Partick. The rest are fairly negligible. 

Dunfermline, QoS and Airdrie. I'm not sure how seriously anyone can take your 'analysis' when you dont even know the status of clubs tbh.

I wasnt in this division then but average points is not a particularly good comparative of quality between seasons. Its clearly very dependent on the relative quality of the division.