The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
Just now, AL-FFC said:

Can the ones that are serious and going on about sacking McGlynn put the drink down and step away from the keyboard, ffs we have been in this league for 4 seasons and other than the covid season this is the closest that any appointment the club has made have got to us to getting out of this league. Rewind to when Holt and when M and M got sacked top bit of the league and we dropped off a cliff edge with that appointment and why in the name of f*ck would anyone sack them for no other reason if we had got to the final and been hammered by Celtic folk would still be calling for his head. The man damned if he does and dam,ned if he doesn't.

Honestly don't know what our support expect, every club goes on a poor run of form (with exception of Dunfermline this season)but seriously do we just demand sackings after a poor result of what a couple of individuals deem unacceptable.  See the next time any of you have a shit day at work or a poor day how would you feel if your boss said you didn't have a god day by the way your sacked, have a word with yourselves honest to f**k.  To achieve what he has in one season is remarkable.

Here endeth the rant

All about opinions. The club have a long term vision and personally I don’t think McGlynn is the man to fulfil it. 

Queens got rid of McKinnon when he won the league because he wasn’t the man to carry on their ambitions. I doubt they’ll regret that too. Football is a harsh business and although I think McGlynn seems like a decent person, I only care about what I think is best for the club. 

Anyway he’s not going so I’ll be there supporting the team in the playoffs and hope that he can get us through. 

11 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

So I’ll just have to accept that it’s ok for you to have wanted M&M sacked at any time whilst we were top of the league and not for me to suggest McGlynn going before we play 2 vital matches. 

If McGlynn is on an entirely different level when he’s yet to prove it with us. He’s had success in his career but I judge him by what he’s done with us. In saying that his  track record in playoffs is nothing worth shouting about.

In any case let’s leave it there. Hopefully McGlynn does prove me wrong. 

He's signed far better players than they ever did for a start .  Delights like da vita, hall ,mercer and todd for example. Complete dross.As soon as they had to start bringing in their own players the whole team went to absolute shit. But for covid we'd have been nowhere near the top of the league that second season of there's.  There was zero chance of us going up under that pair that season .There is not zero chance of us going up.  And mcglynns last playoffs were perfectly acceptable. He put out Dunfermline and then lost to a Dundee side with a far bigger budget in the next round. All in all that season he over achieved considerably with that Raith side.

7 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

All about opinions. The club have a long term vision and personally I don’t think McGlynn is the man to fulfil it. 

Queens got rid of McKinnon when he won the league because he wasn’t the man to carry on their ambitions. I doubt they’ll regret that too. Football is a harsh business and although I think McGlynn seems like a decent person, I only care about what I think is best for the club. 

Anyway he’s not going so I’ll be there supporting the team in the playoffs and hope that he can get us through. 

Have you seen what's out there with the usual suspects on the managerial merry-go-round ffs we almost succumbed to wanting Yogi back?  Whether you think McGlynns the man or not he has been the best appointment we have had since Housties departure and on its day with some of the football we have seen has been some of the best we have seen in as long.  As for the one suggesting yes SA wants to return to the club appointing a rookie manager how long do you give him on a run of poor results with yet ANOTHER squad rebuild?

Wanting a manager ejected when we are in the playoffs is NOT in the club's best interests.  I can't even believe it's been a point of discussion in all honesty.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

Have you seen what's out there with the usual suspects on the managerial merry-go-round ffs we almost succumbed to wanting Yogi back?  Whether you think McGlynns the man or not he has been the best appointment we have had since Housties departure and on its day with some of the football we have seen has been some of the best we have seen in as long.  As for the one suggesting yes SA wants to return to the club appointing a rookie manager how long do you give him on a run of poor results with yet ANOTHER squad rebuild?

Wanting a manager ejected when we are in the playoffs is NOT in the club's best interests.  I can't even believe it's been a point of discussion in all honesty.

Depends if you trust him to get us through them. As I said I’ll support him but it won’t be a surprise to me if we bottle it. 

4 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Depends if you trust him to get us through them. As I said I’ll support him but it won’t be a surprise to me if we bottle it. 

Look at the past few seasons any time we have had an important game the playoffs against Killie for promotion, and relegation games we have bottled it but has anyone called for Housties head then?  Yesterday was an important game and we bottled it the end of the day it comes to players' nerves and them turning it on the day the manager picks the team he feels is best the rest is on their shoulders and up to them to do it on the park.

Next you'll be calling for Deans and co to return to the club I don't know what the chip is on your shoulder these things happen but after 4 seasons of this shit and actually making the playoffs even with a poor run of results we comfortably finished second.

Sacking a manager should be signing an entire squad without seeing them play, calling a draw at Dumbarton a good result those are sackable and unacceptable a play off spot and a cup semi final are not.

9 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

A few years ago I reckon I'd have been closer towards the camp of "no promotion = get rid", but things are different now.

Maybe it has been the recent seasons wearing me down but I was fine with this year being about stability, both on and off the park.

I don’t know if “stability” exists to be honest anymore. The leagues are small and newer clubs like ICT, Ross County and Livingston seem to have established themselves along with the other provincial clubs. If we go up next season I’d make survival the priority and take it from there.

21 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

A few years ago I reckon I'd have been closer towards the camp of "no promotion = get rid", but things are different now.

Maybe it has been the recent seasons wearing me down but I was fine with this year being about stability, both on and off the park.

I'm the same. We've got to understand where we've been the last couple of seasons and that it isn't going to be a quick fix one season and everything's ok.

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Look at the past few seasons any time we have had an important game the playoffs against Killie for promotion, and relegation games we have bottled it but has anyone called for Housties head then?  Yesterday was an important game and we bottled it the end of the day it comes to players' nerves and them turning it on the day the manager picks the team he feels is best the rest is on their shoulders and up to them to do it on the park.

Next you'll be calling for Deans and co to return to the club I don't know what the chip is on your shoulder these things happen but after 4 seasons of this shit and actually making the playoffs even with a poor run of results we comfortably finished second.

Sacking a manager should be signing an entire squad without seeing them play, calling a draw at Dumbarton a good result those are sackable and unacceptable a play off spot and a cup semi final are not.

Houstie was an entirely different scenario. We didn’t bottle it in big games under him and he had us going great guns in the Championship alongside some big clubs. 

Why do I have to be considered an ally of Deans to have lost faith in McGlynn? Is this the same agenda nonsense that was suggested before? Again go back and look what I said about Deans and co and try suggest I’d welcome him back. 

2 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I don’t know if “stability” exists to be honest anymore. The leagues are small and newer clubs like ICT, Ross County and Livingston seem to have established themselves along with the other provincial clubs. If we go up next season I’d make survival the priority and take it from there.

Survival a priority - that’s how far we’ve fallen - Falkirk should have a competent team good enough for the higher end championship, but we’ve exceeded with the appointment of abhorrent players and BODs who have ripped the heart & soul out our club. Unless the manager gets it spot on for the next two weeks, we face our fifth year in the third division of Scottish football……WTF

1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Houstie was an entirely different scenario. We didn’t bottle it in big games under him and he had us going great guns in the Championship alongside some big clubs. 

Why do I have to be considered an ally of Deans to have lost faith in McGlynn? Is this the same agenda nonsense that was suggested before? Again go back and look what I said about Deans and co and try suggest I’d welcome him back. 

The Dundee United second leg playoff was a classic bottlejob. A goal up at home with 15 mins to go and we managed to make a complete arse of it.

11 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Look at the past few seasons any time we have had an important game the playoffs against Killie for promotion, and relegation games we have bottled it but has anyone called for Housties head then?  Y

Let's think. We finished second in a Championship containing two of the five biggest clubs in the country. Both with multiple times our budget. We lost four regular league games that season. Two of them at Ibrox, one in the last minute. We knocked Hibs out of the play-offs. We beat Kilmarnock at home. Rugby Park was just one game too far for a squad who had given everything they had. Go and tell the likes of Vaulks they bottled it.

If the current lot had 1/100th of the spirit, attitude, fight, desire, willingness to go to the 90th minute (and way beyond on quite a few occasions) - well, there would not even be any discussion about play-offs.

Your comparison is absolutely ludicrous. Because there is none.

35 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

He's signed far better players than they ever did for a start .  Delights like da vita, hall ,mercer and todd for example. Complete dross.As soon as they had to start bringing in their own players the whole team went to absolute shit. But for covid we'd have been nowhere near the top of the league that second season of there's.  There was zero chance of us going up under that pair that season .There is not zero chance of us going up.  And mcglynns last playoffs were perfectly acceptable. He put out Dunfermline and then lost to a Dundee side with a far bigger budget in the next round. All in all that season he over achieved considerably with that Raith side.

Were you in league one that season? He fucked up the league, they really should've had second sown up but McGlynn fucked it at the end of the season and they finished third, it was a bit "what if". 

It was a fairly weak championship, it was a poor Dunfermline side and we finished fourth. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The Dundee United second leg playoff was a classic bottlejob. A goal up at home with 15 mins to go and we managed to make a complete arse of it.

Made an arse of it but we beat Dundee United 3 times that season and pipped them to 2nd. Why on Earth would I have been calling for Houstie’s head? 

Just now, Caractacus Potts said:

Made an arse of it but we beat Dundee United 3 times that season and pipped them to 2nd. Why on Earth would I have been calling for Houstie’s head? 

Beating them in the league then losing when it really mattered is the classic Falkirk bottlejob though.  Losing out to a McKinnon side in the playoffs was especially poor. 

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Were you in league one that season? He fucked up the league, they really should've had second sown up but McGlynn fucked it at the end of the season and they finished third, it was a bit "what if". 

It was a fairly weak championship, it was a poor Dunfermline side and we finished fourth. 

Given their budget compared to other sides 3rd was overachieving .

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

Beating them in the league then losing when it really mattered is the classic Falkirk bottlejob though.  Losing out to a McKinnon side in the playoffs was especially poor. 

Yeah, Falkirk absolutely shat the bed in that game. We were rank rotten, but as soon as Simon Murray equalised you just knew we were going to win that game. Your team looked absolutely done.

2 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Yeah, Falkirk absolutely shat the bed in that game. We were rank rotten, but as soon as Simon Murray equalised you just knew we were going to win that game. Your team looked absolutely done.

Yeah there was only going to be one winner at that point.

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

We played poorly but there wasn’t anything to suggest Houston should be sacked or that result was expected.

Finishing 2nd in the Championship to Hibs and ahead of Dundee United is entirely different to comparing us in League One. Ultimately it was disappointing but it was by no means less than expected. We also ended up closer to Hibs than we are to Dunfermline.

I appreciate we've been in L1 far longer than we'd hoped but we're now clutching at straws with calls to sack McGlynn. 

Credit to Dunfermline in bouncing back as every season you're down the pressure grows and you can end up desperately going through players and managers to get back up - sound familiar?

Every year you don't compete begins to take its toll and boards make bad decisions hoping to strike it lucky eventually.

We're all disappointed we've not won the league over our rivals and yesterday was a step too far but spinning the wheel again having invested what we have so far, I think, would be folly.

Stay the course now and if ultimately McGlynn isn't the man get rid at the end of his contract. Creating unnecessary drama now only weakens the club ahead of the playoffs.