The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
8 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Without seeing the accounts it's difficult to say. He'd certainly have one of the top two budgets but who has the highest between us and you isn't clear considering you'd obviously have a number of what you hoped at the time  would be promotion challenging  championship wages still in your side from last season.  The likes of wighton would be on more than any of our players that's for sure. You don't sign a pre contract to sign  from hearts without it being for a decent wage 

We’ve signed a few players from Premiership clubs: Callumn Morrison from Hearts, Sean Mackie from Hibs and Coll Donaldson from Ross County. Would imagine Stephen McGinn will be on very good money too. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

I have a few close friends who are season ticket holders at Tynecastle & it’s fair to say they were glad to see him leave due to the negative football he had his teams set out to play - 🤔

Oddly Hearts fans never seemed to take to Neilson but he is certainly a man that knows how to take a decent sized club up to what should be their respective level. 

7 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

We’ve signed a few players from Premiership clubs: Callumn Morrison from Hearts, Sean Mackie from Hibs and Coll Donaldson from Ross County. Would imagine Stephen McGinn will be on very good money too. 

I thought we'd want to keep hold of Donaldson after a fairly good loan spell so you'd have probably been competing with us for his signature too. Luckily we didn't get him and we picked up Benedictus instead...

Just watched the post match interview with Stephen McGinn & very insightful, articulate responses to Lewis & clearly a future manager. 

Also agree that Saturday was about fine margins & what ifs that come down to failings in key moments which probably reflects why we are where we are just now. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

You never got pelters from me.

That would have been when you were totally objective and I used to give a greenie for almost every one of your posts?

That would have been before you had pals on the board, I'm guessing?

There’s a few who often liked my posts and me likewise that now constantly give them a red dot for any perceived criticism. I even got one for saying Morrison was always a good player. Guess that was suggesting McGlynn didn’t make him good. Not sure who is now to blame that he’s went off the boil though, along with McCann, Nesbit, McKay and McGuffie.

FFS we have a max of 5 games to go. One dead rubber and hopefully 4 play off games to get out of this hell hole. Keep the McGlynn chat till then and we can properly critique the season.

Saturday was much more about quality of player than McGlynn IMO. We were clearly well prepared but it was similar to the game at Dundee earlier in the season where we just don’t have the players to compete with the better Championship sides. Some Players didn’t turn up or are just not up to that level. Morrison, MCKay, McCann, Burrell and don’t even get me started on Williamson. 

McGlynn will need to get 2/3 of these to turn up or we will not go up. Much as he frustrates me Nesbitt has to play to give us energy in the midfield. Oliver has to play to give us a platform and we better pray Rowe is fit. MCKay can’t be relied on so get Henderson back in there to give us left/right balance. Or if you don’t do that bring in MacKie.

My team for these games has to be getting back to the formation we had when we went on the long run.

4-2-3-1

Either keeper

Rowe Donaldson Henderson/MacKie McCann

McGinn Max/Henderson 

Morrison Nesbitt Kennedy

Oliver

I would also be making much more use of Lawal. He is that little bit different to anything we have and a bit of an unknown quantity still 

The next 2/3 weeks will tell us what we need to know about McGlynn and his teams bottle. 
One thing for sure he needs some more better quality next season right through the team. Saturday told us that. 

4 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

There’s a few who often liked my posts and me likewise that now constantly give them a red dot for any perceived criticism. I even got one for saying Morrison was always a good player. Guess that was suggesting McGlynn didn’t make him good. Not sure who is now to blame that he’s went off the boil though, along with McCann, Nesbit, McKay and McGuffie.

Maybe you get red dots because people don’t agree with you. You are the one who keeps banging on about opinions. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Maybe you get red dots because people don’t agree with you. You are the one who keeps banging on about opinions. 

Don’t have to agree but find red dotting a bit pathetic to be honest. If you disagree then discuss it or would you prefer this place to be an echo chamber?

Just now, Caractacus Potts said:

Don’t have to agree but find red dotting a bit pathetic to be honest. If you disagree then discuss it or would you prefer this place to be an echo chamber?

Here is me thinking the red and green dots were for agreeing or not with an opinion? 

You are well aware of my opinion on your shout to get McGlynn out now. It is ridiculous IMO.

If we don’t go up then obviously it is worthy of debate. 

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally I’d play Oliver in the 10 just off Burrell. Inconsistent as Burrell is, he is our biggest goal threat in my view and we can’t leave him on the bench for these vital ganes. 

I think he is an impact player. He has been much more effective coming on when the games are stretched and defenders are tiring. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Here is me thinking the red and green dots were for agreeing or not with an opinion? 

You are well aware of my opinion on your shout to get McGlynn out now. It is ridiculous IMO.

If we don’t go up then obviously it is worthy of debate. 

As I said disagree then discuss. We’re adults here so just disliking a post is pathetic. 

Not sacking McGlynn is an easy decision to make so won’t happen and the board shouldn’t be blamed for such. What I’m saying is I have zero faith and these games are too important to give to a guy who has failed to have us turn up in so many big games. 

We’ll see what happens but are you also confident McGlynn can make an impact in the Championship? 

19 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally I’d play Oliver in the 10 just off Burrell. Inconsistent as Burrell is, he is our biggest goal threat in my view and we can’t leave him on the bench for these vital ganes. 

I agree with this, I would play Oliver and drop Morrison and give Kennedy free rein to switch flanks if required. Burrell and Oliver could work really well if given a chance to build up an understanding.

On 30/04/2023 at 08:48, bairn88 said:

The police/steward search outside the ground was an absolute disgrace btw. In the small queue at 11:35ish and didn’t get in til almost 12. Bet none of their tactics yesterday will be adopted today. 

Agreed.   And yet there was someone in the stadium with a bottle of MD20/20 !

36 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

As I said disagree then discuss. We’re adults here so just disliking a post is pathetic. 

Not sacking McGlynn is an easy decision to make so won’t happen and the board shouldn’t be blamed for such. What I’m saying is I have zero faith and these games are too important to give to a guy who has failed to have us turn up in so many big games. 

We’ll see what happens but are you also confident McGlynn can make an impact in the Championship? 

I am on the fence regarding what McGlynn would do in the Championship. Nesbitt on form is good enough but has too many dips. The reality to make the step up is going to need investment whoever the manager is. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

My team for these games has to be getting back to the formation we had when we went on the long run.

4-2-3-1

Either keeper

Rowe Donaldson Henderson/MacKie McCann

McGinn Max/Henderson 

Morrison Nesbitt Kennedy

Oliver

Not for me.

It worked great but was found out. McGlynn has been criticised as lacking a plan B since he returned to management but I reckon he's nailed it with the diamond. 

Mcglynn didn't start nesbitt in a cup semi final so there's absolutely nothing that points to him seeing him as a week in week out starter in the championship if we were to go up. You need squad players that can do a job in a variety of positions when necessary and nesbitt fits that bill. He won't be on a huge salary either and has played around 80 games at championship level  Progress is better players replacing your starters and those previous starters replacing your squad players . 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am on the fence regarding what McGlynn would do in the Championship. Nesbitt on form is good enough but has too many dips. The reality to make the step up is going to need investment whoever the manager is. 

I'd certainly give him a season and see where we are after that.  I know that our previous experience of dofs has been tainted with the shambolic Holt but I can't help thinking that mcglynn with his excellent contacts and recruitment would be a perfect fit for that role in the future.

Edited by Shodwall cat