The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

What is the point of 18 games. It's where you are come the season end that counts.  Patrick were dreadful for the first half of that season yet ended up 8 points ahead. We lost to Airdrie 3 times could only draw with Dumbarton and forfar at one point  got beat by east Fife and a bang average cove side. 6 of our ten wins that season were against the dross at the bottom.

And where they were before they were sacked was 2nd and 2 points off top. 11 of our 18 wins this season have came against those occupying 6th-10th in the league. We have zero wins agains the team who is top and 1 against the team in 3rd. 

1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

And where they were before they were sacked was 2nd and 2 points off top. 11 of our 18 wins this season have came against those occupying 6th-10th in the league. We have zero wins agains the team who is top and 1 against the team in 3rd. 

M and m couldn't beat Airdrie at all.  As I said previously COVID made us artificially competitive for a bit longer than we would've been in a full season. We were honking even when we were winning games and as soon as we lost one that was it the wheels came off. We picked up 1 point out of 9 before the break and were stinking at that stage. We got a lucky three points against Montrose after the break beat a forfar pub team and then lost to Airdrie again and the wheels came off again apart from a flooky win when we should've really got beat by Clyde.  That side was right up there with the complete crap we had on show for most of last season. Absolute shower of complete dross. I don't think I was at one game when I actually enjoyed the football we played apart from maybe one game when we pumped a dreadful Dumbarton side.

19 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

I was never a fan off the appointment of Mglynn,  thought there were better options

But this talk of sacking him is crazy, even if we don't go up, I'd give him a go a next season 

Enlighten us with these better options and don't say Mcpake as not a single person on here thought he was a decent option last  summer. Some of the bod wanted Jim McIntyre so we should just be thankfull they were overruled.

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Re the VAR chat in my opinion it is harming the game the way it is being implemented.

The only people who are happy are the the pedantic bores who slaver on about the “laws” of the game.

VAR should only be used to correct an obvious error by the on field officials not whether someone’s flapping bootlace is offside.

There should also be a 30 second time limit on checking decisions, taking longer would suggest that the incident was not an obvious mistake / oversight by the officials.

Obviously mistakes would be made but football is not an exact science it is entertainment and the current use of VAR is seriously damaging the sport.

If it takes 4 minutes for VAR to come to a decision, then it’s hardly a clear and obvious error, 30 seconds is definitely more that adequate 

Steering the topic away from the now tedious M&M vs. McGlynn posts which prove the old Ebbe Skovdhal quote quite well ...

Does anyone know the clubs position on the B-team shenanigans happening at the moment and likely voting intentions?

I'd hope we've sounded out our tenants the Shirey-pirey for their views.

Its a big summer for McGlynn whether we go up or not he needs to make the right signings.  

His recruitment has been better than the last few managers but its not been great.  You could maybe argue McGinn, Kennedy and Kucheravyi have been really good signings but there have been far too many in the 'ok but not really good enough for a title winning side' camp.  

The likes of Donaldson, Mackie, Henderson, Kinnear, Yeats, Oliver, Morrison (PJ), Allan, Burrell and even Lawal improved on what we had but at the end of the day, they haven't good enough to lay a finger on Dunfermline over the season.  

We got a bit lucky v Ayr but against Dundee and ICT the gap in quality really showed.  Nesbitt on a new 2 year deal and any other signings like that won't cut it.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

25 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Enlighten us with these better options and don't say Mcpake as not a single person on here thought he was a decent option last  summer. Some of the bod wanted Jim McIntyre so we should just be thankfull they were overruled.

Ian Murray for a start 

Just said I'm willing to give Mglynn a chance, next season,  just he wouldn't have been my choice when we were looking for a manager 

Edited by Amarillo Bairn

17 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Its a big summer for McGlynn whether we go up or not he needs to make the right signings.  

His recruitment has been better than the last few managers but its not been great.  You could maybe argue McGinn, Kennedy and Kucheravyi have been really good signings but there have been far too many in the 'ok but not really good enough for a title winning side' camp.  

The likes of Donaldson, Mackie, Henderson, Kinnear, Yeats, Oliver, Morrison (PJ), Allan, Burrell and even Lawal improved on what we had but at the end of the day, they haven't good enough to lay a finger on Dunfermline over the season.  

We got a bit lucky v Ayr but against Dundee and ICT the gap in quality really showed.  Nesbitt on a new 2 year deal and any other signings like that won't cut it.  

Agree with all of this. We are really short of quality in some areas. Defence is still terrible and we have 2 brutal keepers. 

We have a squad of adequacy which is improvement on the last few shambolic seasons. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
38 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Sure you don’t have pals on the board or else how do you know this? 

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

If people genuinely think M&M are as good as McGlynn then I’d suggest it’s probably a waste of time discussing football with them. Clueless. 

As I said if McGlynn is much better than M&M then there really should be more than a cigarette paper to divide their records at  the club. 

Just now, Caractacus Potts said:

As I said if McGlynn is much better than M&M then there really should be more than a cigarette paper to divide their records at  the club. 

You keep going on about records but they managed different squads in different leagues. They inherited different groups. They play different styles of football.

We live in a country where there is a managerial merry-go-round and every Tom, Dick and Harry get at least 5 attempts at management before they run out of luck. The fact these 2 are in hairdressing and selling houses after 1 stint is telling. I can’t think of a single thing they were good at but if you think they were good football managers then you charge on 👍🏻

19 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

If winning 51% of games in the third tier and finishing 14 points off top is now to be considered a remarkable achievement, our standards have fallen even lower than I thought.

Previous managers were punted with similar records- I’d be astonished if even McGlynn thinks he has done a remarkable job.

We finished 6th last season and 5th the season before, not to mention clubs that came down from the championship had that 500k given to them from Covid  which we didn't get so financial advantage.  It would have been good to win the league but again its football.

Guest Caractacus Potts
9 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

You keep going on about records but they managed different squads in different leagues. They inherited different groups. They play different styles of football.

We live in a country where there is a managerial merry-go-round and every Tom, Dick and Harry get at least 5 attempts at management before they run out of luck. The fact these 2 are in hairdressing and selling houses after 1 stint is telling. I can’t think of a single thing they were good at but if you think they were good football managers then you charge on 👍🏻

Show me where I said that

54 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Steering the topic away from the now tedious M&M vs. McGlynn posts which prove the old Ebbe Skovdhal quote quite well ...

Does anyone know the clubs position on the B-team shenanigans happening at the moment and likely voting intentions?

I'd hope we've sounded out our tenants the Shirey-pirey for their views.

Shire released a statement on it in fact a few of the lower league teams are against it as rule was the b teams cant be promoted or relegated the idea that a team could finish 6th in a league with b teams and be relegated was a no no for them

46 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Worth nothing that if Covid had shut down football one week later it would have almost certainly been M&M with their hands on the league trophy not McGlynn.

Edited by Enigma

M&M couldn’t beat McGinn in two attempts in season 19/20 and totally shat trying to win what turned out to be the last match of that season.  

The following season they were shown up for what they were as managers, a pair of comedians.

I never got the love in with McCracken, as a player he cost us in some big games. Hamilton Play Off and Cup Final spring to mind.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

Worth nothing that if Covid had shit down football one week later it would have almost certainly been M&M with their hands on the league trophy not McGlynn.

Think most of us know that, but this season with teams like Dunfermline, Alloa and QotS all down from the championship it is a lot of a harder league than before with the likes of East Fife, Dumbarton out of it and I think it was Forfar of the top of my head then you have Hamilton who look like they will be heading down.  You also had Cove and Kelty having money thrown at them by their owners.

Lot of variables at play the past 2 seasons not to mention our old shit show of a board and what can only be the worst director of football in the history of football Gary Holt who somehow managed to get his boy on a 2 year deal.

Renewed my ST today for next season and have added an additional for my 3 yr old granddaughter. Her Dad is a Celtic fan and even though she might not go much next season I need to make sure early doors that she takes the right path in life.

1 hour ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

I was never a fan off the appointment of Mglynn,  thought there were better options

But this talk of sacking him is crazy, even if we don't go up, I'd give him a go a next season 

Who should we have gone for?