The Falkirk FC Thread

54 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

One thing I've learned is not to bother about a previous players record or what his previous fans say when we sign a new player. We've had boys that have been praised to the hilt by their last club who turn out awful and players with dreadful records that have turned out decent.  From now on I wait to see what they are like in the navy blue as that is all that really matters at the end of the day. If he turns out shit I'll slate him if he turns out great i'll laud him but till then it's a clean slate.

Totally agree..would be interesting to see the stats of some of our 'legends' throughout the years before they came to us as I'm sure there must be a few who were hardly amazing upto the point in their career they joined us and became highly thought of.   Although I guess for example folk like Jim Jeffries/Brown were masters at finding those players

The issue probably is we've had such a poor record in signings for so long people,  are already pessimistic and that's understandable.

Even when we signed (arguably) a marquee signing in Griffiths he was sh*te in the Navy blue.   We signed guys from down South with no proven track record and yep again, they turn out sh*te.....but then theres folk like Vaulks to prove the theory can work..

I keep going back to that only one moment in the play off games that got me out my seat..Yeats driving at the Airdrie defence in the second leg.... I don't ask for much but if a player can show any sort of passion then its a big plus point.   In the past I've always wanted us to play nice football but next year I'm happy if we grind out results and get over the line...

This summer give me any of the below players and i'll be happy.

Goalkeeper - Kevin Dabrowski, Nicky Hogarth

Right Back - Kieran Macdonald, Blaine Rowe, Adam Devine(loan)

Centre Back - Lewis Neilson(loan), Dane Murray(loan)

Centre Mid - Finlay Robertson, Allan Delfierrere(loan), Cole Mckinnon(loan)

Winger - Steven Warnock(loan), Alex Ferguson(loan)

Striker - Euan Henderson, Kieran Offord(loan), Matty Yates

5 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Some folk's reaction to the signing has been mental.

Several of our 'marquee' transfers over the years such as Alston, Loy, Griffiths etc have been real let-downs.

Compare that with guys who have been plucked from absolutely no where such as Leahy, Vaulks, Taylor & Farid who made massive impacts.

Will very much be waiting to see what MacIver does in a Falkirk jersey before any judgement on my part. Just being physical and trying like f**k are two areas we have been sorely lacking in over the last few seasons.

No it’s not the same. Vaulks, Leahy, Taylor and Farid had never played in Scotland before joining so we didn’t know what to expect. 
Maciver has been average at best for a number of years in Scotland so we know exactly what we’re getting.

3 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Feel for the lad MacIver a bit. Obviously as a professional footballer you need to be able to take criticism but hes just signed for a new club and will probably be buzzing and he just opens Twitter to a negative reaction from the fans 😂

Just wait till he trips over his own feet and has a fresh air swipe at an open goal from a yard out. Confidence out the window drifts out the team and is punted on loan in January for being dugmeat. Now I hope it doesn't work out like that obviously but we have all saw this movie before. I will say one thing he absolutely won't be in as bad as Wilson. He's right up there in worst players to ever wear the shirt. The definition of a boy chasing a balloon. 

1 minute ago, ebobsboy said:

Just wait till he trips over his own feet and has a fresh air swipe at an open goal from a yard out. Confidence out the window drifts out the team and is punted on loan in January for being dugmeat. Now I hope it doesn't work out like that obviously but we have all saw this movie before. I will say one thing he absolutely won't be in as bad as Wilson. He's right up there in worst players to ever wear the shirt. The definition of a boy chasing a balloon. 

Juan Alegria did exactly that and went on to do ok. 

2 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

What about this one:

image.png.b9d7f71b6cac403666cd86bc69cea9ba.png

Guest Ecosse83
8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Juan Alegria did exactly that and went on to do ok. 

Alegria is 3 or 4 years younger and had played 60/70 games less than Maciver as well so more room for improvement. Not sure what improvements folk are expecting a 24 year old to make 😂

1 minute ago, Ecosse83 said:

Alegria is 3 or 4 years younger and had played 60/70 games less than Maciver as well so more room for improvement. Not sure what improvements folk are expecting a 24 year old to make 😂

Think the same. I hope like everyone else the boy does well but I'm absolutely not convinced by his signing. On another note that's Jamie MacDonald freed by Raith, Tom Lang aswell, I'd be amazed if Pingu hasn't already been on the phone to MacDonald maybe both. 

29 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Here's his latest stats with Heidelberg United.

A shame for him as they say he's a really nice guy.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jaime-wilson/profil/spieler/347700

Edited by Bairn in Exile

7 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

@Van_damage

Are you still actively involved with FSS? 

"The FSS Committee can be found pre-match in the Main and South Stands ahead of each game. You can easily spot us with the new “pop-up banners” to allow you to sign-up or to raise any issues for our 2 Fans’ Directors to take direct to the Boardroom.

Well, no fitba for the next couple of months so may I use this forum to ask why we are apparently doling out 2 year deals willy nilly?

Thanks in anticipation.

No I’m not involved anymore mate but you can email admin@falkirksupporters.org to ask and sure one of the committee will get back to you. 

43 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

I’ve no idea if MacIver will do well or not but are you seriously suggesting a 24 year old can’t improve?

7 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

I’ve no idea if MacIver will do well or not but are you seriously suggesting a 24 year old can’t improve?

Almost word for word what I was going to say.... I don't blame anyone for being too far gone with McGlynn, but that's a wild take

38 minutes ago, Bairn winner said:

Give the boy MacIver a chance, he's not even pulled the navy blue on yet and some are critical. No wonder player's here lose confidence and go backwards.

I'm guilty of having been critical of MacIver before he's even kicked a ball for us, mea culpa. I think a reason for the negativity around his signing is more to do with the negativity around McGlynn rather than the lad himself. We're that pissed off with how the season ended and we're venting and lashing out at the wrong target.