The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Just been catching up on posts. I see someone commented about Kennedy’s goal contributions and our replacement doesn’t look like they’ll replace it. I would argue that Kennedy’s lack of strength and pace was a huge disadvantage to us last year and if the replacement we have can offer that then we may be in a better position. 

For all the good Kennedy did last season, which he did, he was too weak and not quick enough and like Morrison could easily go missing in games. The new signings look like they’ll be able to fight for a win when the going gets tough. Something we lacked last season

Whilst I disagree on your overall assessment of Kennedy, it did take him a long time to get going as a Falkirk player - first half of last season he was pretty poor but really became instrumental in our post-Xmas purple patch.

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I think to be able to assess whether the signings are improvements we need to compare against the players that we've lost v those who have come in. Other than those changes, the rest of the squad is much the same.   

So that would be
Watson v Lang (debateable - arguably Watson has the better pedigree)
Max v Spencer (debateable - young creativity and set piece ability v good ball carrier)
Kinnear/Hogarth v Hogarth (H better than K but H also hear for a large chunk of last season)
MacIvor v Burrell (my view is Burrell more likely to score more based on last season)
Kennedy v Miller/Agyeman (debateable)

The signings have probably made us better but its marginal and not reason to be as cocky as some seem to be that we're going to be significantly improved. Our biggest issue will be McGlynn's ability to make us harder to beat and less predictable.  

It's McKay v Lang though, Watson didn't kick a ball last season. Lang's got to be an upgrade on McKay surely?

It's not Spencer v Max either due to the position he plays. It's Spencer v McGinn or Henderson. No idea if he's any better, but if he is we've won a watch.

Hogarth is better than the other two keepers we had last season so that's an upgrade.

Don't think you can compare McIvor with Burrell either because they're two entirely different types. More accurate to compare him to Wright who was largely crap, therefore that's an upgarde IMO. Much more accurate to compare Ageyman with Burrell as they're similar players. No idea if Ageyman's any better but, if he is, again, we've done well.

Other than the keepers the comparison between Kennedy and Miller is the most accurate. McGlynn had no option to keep Kennedy so he had to replace him with somebody. Hopefully Miller is a little more direct and robust, time will tell.

55 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Our biggest issue is McGlynn's inability to beat our direct "challengers". Last season it was Dunfermline and Airdrie, next season probably Hamilton, QOTS and Cove. If he can't significantly outscore them in our match ups then we'll be here for another season. Of course, if we get off to a bad start hopefully the board will let him know that his time is up.

In the past his second season has always been the one where his team have clicked and he's achieved promotion  Hopefully we will follow that trend.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think like most I will judge after a few cup and league games before any hypothetical judgements. The only difference that you can see over last is we have more physicality. Whether that translates into performances and results who knows and time will tell.  

For me the biggest difference from last season, and I think it’s a big advantage for all teams looking to get promoted is Dunfermline and Airdrie not being in the league.

We can say what we like about them but with them being replaced by Cove and Accies the league is weaker this season.

I think it’s a level playing field for about 4 or 5 teams and whilst I’m not overly confident I don’t see anything that causes me massive concern either.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

In the past his second season has always been the one where his team have clicked and he's achieved promotion  Hopefully we will follow that trend.

Whit? He has only won L2 in 2009, and RR were awarded promotion in the COVID season……that’s his career promotions. I don’t think there is a hell of a lot of supporting evidence for his team’s clicking in year two over a 17 year managerial career. I actually think he won L2 at the 3rd attempt.

Guest Back Post Misses
34 minutes ago, Bairn winner said:

Think some posters on here are wrong to think the league is weaker this season allowing us a better chance of promotion, still going to be bloody difficult.

I agree 

Of course it's going to be difficult. Winning any league is difficult unless you are out the park in terms of resource ie the blue bigots on their way up and even then Hearts battered them first time in the Championship. 

No one should be thinking this will be easy. 

My hope is that leaving aside a disgusting capitulation in the playoffs, the club as a whole is on an upswing away from rock bottom, and if that continues to gather momentum it will be enough to see us over the line. 

That's pretty general. From a football pov, it is as has been pointed out already, going to be about beating Hamilton, Cove, Queens etc. 

It'll be tough for sure. Cove will be tough and I can see us dropping points up there on matchday 2. 3pts would be a massive statement. 

Hamilton will be hard to beat and have made some eye catching signings. On paper of course we should be up there if not favourites but I've thought that in previous seasons and we've been miles off. 

I think an important point that last season wasn't a one game collapse against Airdrie. It was the entire last quarter after the Fifers game. Something Raith fans consistently told us would happen with McGlynn. 

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

It's McKay v Lang though, Watson didn't kick a ball last season. Lang's got to be an upgrade on McKay surely?

It's not Spencer v Max either due to the position he plays. It's Spencer v McGinn or Henderson. No idea if he's any better, but if he is we've won a watch.

Hogarth is better than the other two keepers we had last season so that's an upgrade.

Don't think you can compare McIvor with Burrell either because they're two entirely different types. More accurate to compare him to Wright who was largely crap, therefore that's an upgarde IMO. Much more accurate to compare Ageyman with Burrell as they're similar players. No idea if Ageyman's any better but, if he is, again, we've done well.

Other than the keepers the comparison between Kennedy and Miller is the most accurate. McGlynn had no option to keep Kennedy so he had to replace him with somebody. Hopefully Miller is a little more direct and robust, time will tell.

To assess the strength of the squad it has to be new signings v those who have left. If Lang gets injured (not unknown to happen) then we're still playing Donaldson and McKay. 

5 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

To assess the strength of the squad it has to be new signings v those who have left. If Lang gets injured (not unknown to happen) then we're still playing Donaldson and McKay. 

Nah, I think he'll play Henderson before McKay, certainly hope so anyway. 

Just now, ShaggerG said:

McKay all round gives me the fear. We won't go without injury or suspension and he could very well end up playing in important games.

Henderson was a bit of a bomb scare at the back too. 

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

I don’t think so, not as CB.  Henderson will played as a midfielder except in emergencies I think.