The Falkirk FC Thread

26 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Why would he play Mackie before McCann, who was arguably our best player last season?

I must admit I was generally pleasantly surprised that it never happened, and I'd say McGlynn probably got over it eventually, but there was a time where I was convinced he was itching to drop Leon McCann, who fortunately really nailed down his place during a spell where Mackie was injured IIRC with his best form of the season. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I must admit I was generally pleasantly surprised that it never happened, and I'd say McGlynn probably got over it eventually, but there was a time where I was convinced he was itching to drop Leon McCann, who fortunately really nailed down his place during a spell where Mackie was injured IIRC with his best form of the season. 

I think he's our best player and I'd like to see him in a proper wing back role. 

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think he's our best player and I'd like to see him in a proper wing back role. 

I have publicly professed my love for McCann on a number occasions so I'm right with you. 

As I say, I was convinced McGlynn was going to drop him at the first chance he got. It didn't come, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does at some point

31 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Think McCanns defensive play greatly improved as the season progressed and McGlynn saw that. Can Mackie not kick with his other foot. McCann can't as he proved in a trial at right back. DISASTER

McCann was awful at RB. But thats no criticism of him whatsoever. That was actually a game where McGlynn deserved every bit of slagging he got. 

McCann plays the inverted FB from the left hand side really well. Cutting inside is no problem for him. 

Guest Ecosse83
4 hours ago, Bairn winner said:

Think some posters on here are wrong to think the league is weaker this season allowing us a better chance of promotion, still going to be bloody difficult.

The league is weaker for sure. If the same Dunfermline side was in the league this season they would still run away with it. 

I think it’s between us and Hamilton based on signings so far, won’t be easy but I think we are slight favourites! 

Pretty sure someone said at the start of last season that Mackie would be LB before McCann as McGlynn doesn't like small players in defence, we saw how that played out and IMHO I thought McCann was player of the year or should have been, the only poor game I thought he had was the Kelty game when he got played at RB.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I get the impression McGlynn doesn’t rate McCann

This was covered in an FFCTV interview at some point. McGlynn prefers big powerful players in defence, but if the smaller player is better then he gets the shirt. McCann was better last season and McGlynn acknowledged that in an interview and then backed it up by playing him every week. 

I'd play McCann over Mackie too but I also wouldn't be surprised if he starts with Mackie.  It's clear he's trying to bring strength and height into the team and I think he wanted to play Mackie last year but McCann's early form kept him out.  McCann was targeted by some teams and also part of the defence that shipped all those Airdrie goals so he may see that as reason to give Mackie another run (along with the height etc).  

Both have their faults, McCann gives you more going forward though imo.  

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I believe Airdrie’s points total was no better than ours in the last 6 games. 

Makes no difference.  We won 3 games in the last 10 which in anyones book is a collapse.  

3 in 12 if you add in the play off calamity

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

8 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I'd play McCann over Mackie too but I also wouldn't be surprised if he starts with Mackie.  It's clear he's trying to bring strength and height into the team and I think he wanted to play Mackie last year but McCann's early form kept him out.  McCann was targeted by some teams and also part of the defence that shipped all those Airdrie goals so he may see that as reason to give Mackie another run (along with the height etc).  

Both have their faults, McCann gives you more going forward though imo.  

Despite his height, McCann's actually better in the air than Mackie (who himself is no giant).

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Despite his height, McCann's actually better in the air than Mackie (who himself is no giant).

Agree with this. There nowhere close to enough physicality upside in putting Mackie in the team to make it worth losing McCanns attacking intent.

Firstly because it's debatable whether there's actually any upside at all to begin with, but also because of the way Mackie routinely switches his brain off. I don't dislike Mackie, but he starts at LB 0/10 for me unless McCann is out or his form falls off a cliff

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I have publicly professed my love for McCann on a number occasions so I'm right with you. 

As I say, I was convinced McGlynn was going to drop him at the first chance he got. It didn't come, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does at some point

He was asked the question regarding McCann at the AGM and honest to admit he had bought Mackie to play there but such was the form of McCann that he won the jersey. He did caveat at that by saying his performances had dipped over the previous few weeks but did seem to continue with him in the role for the rest of the season. 

I like McCann he's having to be consistent in his position to keep Mackie out, something you can't say about the other full back area and that's not a dig at us still not having signed a right back, Rowe had it pretty much all to himself when he joined last season pre him it was take your pick from others filling in.

6 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No he didn't. He's never won L2 because L2 didn't exist before 2013. He won the Second Division.

L2 intimates fourth tier, whereas it was actually the third tier he won.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before.

Ok ok, Second division, bottom tier in a three tier league set up rather than bottom tier in a four tier set up. What it doesn’t change is his promotion achievements……one win in the bottom tier, one award in the COVID season.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Ok ok, Second division, bottom tier in a three tier league set up rather than bottom tier in a four tier set up. What it doesn’t change is his promotion achievements……one win in the bottom tier, one award in the COVID season.

It wasn't the bottom tier!

It was tier 3 of 4.

The old 3 division setup was finished with in 1994.

Guest Back Post Misses
8 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Makes no difference.  We won 3 games in the last 10 which in anyones book is a collapse.  

3 in 12 if you add in the play off calamity

I didn’t say our form was good enough but Airdrie were in similar in and out form too going into those games.