The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

The point I was making was that lots are saying our form was rotten going into the play offs (and it was not as good as it had been) but was very similar to Airdrie in terms of points. So maybe it was an implosion at the play off and not the last quarter. 

Don’t see why Airdrie’s form has anything to do with our form being bad but, that said, you’re being a little misleading with your stats. Airdrie got 20 points in the last quarter and we got 13. Airdrie also scored 30 goals where we scored 14. If Airdrie had achieved 20 points per previous quarters then it would’ve comfortably seen them in 2nd place.

Our implosion started after the Dunfermline game which led us in to the last 9 matches. 

Edited by Van_damage

9 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Don’t see why Airdrie’s form has anything to do with our form being bad but, that said, you’re being a little misleading with your stats. Airdrie got 20 points in the last quarter and we got 13. Airdrie also scored 30 goals where we scored 14. 

Our implosion started after the Dunfermline game which lead us in to the last 9 matches. 

IIRC the 2-2 draw with Falkirk all but consigned them to 3/4th place? So it's understandable that their results then tailed off (Drawing against 9 man Dunfermline, getting beat of QoTS). 

Taking points totals from the last 4/5 games is difficult because teams will have differing levels of fucks given. What there's surely no doubt about is that through the last quarter, Airdrie just seemed to have it together a bit more. Falkirk had been the better side over the whole season, but Airdrie peaked at the end, while Falkirks peak came on the 4th of March. 

9 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

IIRC the 2-2 draw with Falkirk all but consigned them to 3/4th place? So it's understandable that their results then tailed off (Drawing against 9 man Dunfermline, getting beat of QoTS). 

Taking points totals from the last 4/5 games is difficult because teams will have differing levels of fucks given. What there's surely no doubt about is that through the last quarter, Airdrie just seemed to have it together a bit more. Falkirk had been the better side over the whole season, but Airdrie peaked at the end, while Falkirks peak came on the 4th of March. 

That pretty much sums it up.

Guest Back Post Misses
4 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Don’t see why Airdrie’s form has anything to do with our form being bad but, that said, you’re being a little misleading with your stats. Airdrie got 20 points in the last quarter and we got 13. Airdrie also scored 30 goals where we scored 14. If Airdrie had achieved 20 points per previous quarters then it would’ve comfortably seen them in 2nd place.

Our implosion started after the Dunfermline game which led us in to the last 9 matches. 

I am not misleading you are misrepresenting I didn’t talk about the full quarter just the last 6. Someone said Airdrie came into the play offs in great form in terms of points in those games they were not much better than us. On reflection they probably saved themselves for it. We got hammered I accept that. Too many still focusing on last season IMO. It’s gone, you can’t get it back they need to move on 

33 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am not misleading you are misrepresenting I didn’t talk about the full quarter just the last 6. Someone said Airdrie came into the play offs in great form in terms of points in those games they were not much better than us. On reflection they probably saved themselves for it. We got hammered I accept that. Too many still focusing on last season IMO. It’s gone, you can’t get it back they need to move on 

The chat was our form imploding after Dunfermline. You brought up Airdrie for whatever reason but if comparing form then it’s only fair to do it from that game. Our last victory against Peterhead was a makeshift team too, of whom several didn’t start versus Airdrie. 

The fact is our form was dreadful for a team of our size. 

It is better to look forward but McGlynn still has a lot to make up for with the end to the season so you can’t just forget that.

If he starts the season with 10 points from the first 6 matches as he did last year then, unlike last season, there will be calls for him to go. It would be disingenuous to consider that last seasons capitulation would have nothing to do any decision to let him go should we start poorly. So as good as it is to get behind him, you can’t just absolve him from what happened previously. 

Guest Back Post Misses
9 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

The chat was our form imploding after Dunfermline. You brought up Airdrie for whatever reason but if comparing form then it’s only fair to do it from that game. Our last victory against Peterhead was a makeshift team too, of whom several didn’t start versus Airdrie. 

The fact is our form was dreadful for a team of our size. 

It is better to look forward but McGlynn still has a lot to make up for with the end to the season so you can’t just forget that.

If he starts the season with 10 points from the first 6 matches as he did last year then, unlike last season, there will be calls for him to go. It would be disingenuous to consider that last seasons capitulation would have nothing to do any decision to let him go should we start poorly. So as good as it is to get behind him, you can’t just absolve him from what happened previously. 

Proud to be a Bairn brought up Airdrie. 
At no time did I absolve McGlynn. I have said consistently he needs a good start because of last seasons finish 

Edited by Back Post Misses

The only use for the past is as a tool for learning. It cant be changed but it can be used as learning point. McGlynn must learn what we did wrong and sort it. 

His philosophy of building from the back only works if you have attacking full backs and a good focus point to hold the ball up and let the midfield and forwards get into a position. We lost that pushing game when others worked out what we were doing. This season he needs to learn that a mix of tactics is required not just the training ground routines.

Look at Dunfermline.  A team that defended well mostly and the attack was doing a job. Airdrie went 3 goals up against them but then lost a player. Dunfermline had the ability to greatly change their tactics to match the situation. They did and won. That is what we need to have in our locker and not be so much of the one trick pony

30 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Almost feel like someone needs to criticise the BOD soon to change the subject away from how the league was won and lost last season 😮‍💨

Failing that does anyone know any drummers ...

Being miserable and treating people like dirt is every Falkirk fans God given right. 

Well maybe not the last part but not everyone is glass half full. 

On 12/07/2023 at 18:41, Back Post Misses said:

I believe Airdrie’s points total was no better than ours in the last 6 games. 

I prefer the Houston way of judging and having quarterly targets, you could avoid the teams we struggled to beat in the 3 games looking at 6 games. 

In the quarter Airdrie won 6 and we won 3 and Airdrie only lost once giving them the biggest points total in the division in the last quarter also despite having a defeat in there that the pars didn't.

On 12/07/2023 at 19:31, ShaggerG said:

Why would he play Mackie before McCann, who was arguably our best player last season?

As been said I think McCann's form fell off at the end likewise Rowe, Morrison and others. 

I prefer McCann there but like any position it should be the player who is in form to lose, that happened last season.

I wonder if Henderson would be an option, tho for me he is a centre back or centre mid 

Edited by MrDust

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Proud to be a Bairn brought up Airdrie. 
At no time did I absolve McGlynn. I have said consistently he needs a good start because of last seasons finish 

14 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

The point I was making was that lots are saying our form was rotten going into the play offs (and it was not as good as it had been) but was very similar to Airdrie in terms of points. So maybe it was an implosion at the play off and not the last quarter. 

Sounds like we are in agreement then that we can’t just discount last season. Also had to check as thought you had mentioned the last quarter previously so wasn’t doing any misrepresenting. 

2 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

The only use for the past is as a tool for learning. It cant be changed but it can be used as learning point. McGlynn must learn what we did wrong and sort it. 

The only problem is that McGlynn is not a rookie manager and has been round the block for a good number of years now.

Although I hope I am wrong, I am not 100% sure he has the capability to change. 

Guest Back Post Misses
4 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Sounds like we are in agreement then that we can’t just discount last season. Also had to check as thought you had mentioned the last quarter previously so wasn’t doing any misrepresenting. 

Before that I had mentioned the last 6 games