The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’d be very surprised if McGinn does not start vs Annan in the first league game of the season.

As I said, I can't see it happening either but I saw Annan in their last league game and they did try and break quickly with a couple of smaller players who were fast, ball carriers which I don't think will suit McGinn currently.

Expecting a tighter affair than it should be for the opener.

Some observations from tonight.

1. This McGlynnBall will destroy us. We do not have the necessary skill level of defender for this style (playing out from our own bye line). Having said that I think Yeats-Donaldson-Lang-McCann are very solid players for L1.

2. Sadly, Stephen McGinn’s legs have gone and doubt that he is even a squad player this season

3. Finn Yeats is already a good player and a very fine prospect. Probably midfield is his best position.  So, we do need a RB.

4. Henderson should start once fully fit in midfield alongside Spencer & Yeats, with Agyeman & Morrison (plus Miller) providing the flair. Just give them the ball ffs.

5. MacIvor is another fine prospect.

13 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Anyway young team done great and the drum was used perfectly as wasn’t even aware of it. 

Let’s see if you are of the same opinion next game when the lad is allowed to use real drum sticks rather than woollen mittens.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

33 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Let’s see if you are of the same opinion next game when the lad is allowed to use real drum sticks rather than woollen mittens.

Keep treating it with kid gloves! 

5 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

With a string connecting them running though his sleeves?

Woke this morning to realisation that Cudjoe for DU won the Viaplay MOTM award 🤨 and Morrison got our sponsors nod last night. 

May as well give awards for nicest boots or freshest barbers trim as it's now a meaningless accolade. 

Morrison was OK - and obviously didn't complete the game - but TV giving it to Cudjoe who had one less assist than Lang for us! 😒

Thought the opening quarter we looked decent and arguably against the poorest utd team that are deservedly now in the championship, we then proceeded for remaining sixty or so minutes, with the now piss about at the back tippy tappy shite. Negatives - we look like team coached to one system with no alternatives. The minute Morrison was swapped sides he was a no more than a whimper.

Going into the new league season where the majority of teams will sit back and counter attack, we simply can’t continue to play guys like McGinn who clearly is toiling with fitness.

Positives - credit to the keeper with two real good stops, after Saturdays mistakes. Yeats - never a RB but a second forty five that was by far the best performer.

Last night’s performance was below par, and let’s hope McGlynn has learned some lessons from the defeat, I’m not sure he will… 

We really are hamstrung with that old duffer still in charge. He'll get outcoached by most of the league. 

I'm not sure this squad is any better than last seasons. Much of a muchness. 

Can see this year's title being won with record low points and we are one of 3 or 4 that can win it. We're very unconvincing though and there's still a stench of loserdome about the players for me. Never fancy us when we go a goal down to anyone.

12 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

... there's still a stench of loserdome about the players for me ...

Got this vibe from the post-match summaries with McGlynn and McCann.

Appreciate there is a lot of positives they want to draw attention to but we've conceded in our last 12 games in all competitions - including the debacle of the playoff - and not counting friendlies which we lost poor goals in too.

For staff to gloss over that and suggest it is small beer when it's clearly endemic of Falkirk sides is worrying. I'd want and expect by now a little more anger and determination to keep clean sheets than we've seen so far.

For a team with ambitions we have giving the opposition a goal start in most cases with minimal changes to our back line is criminal.

9 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mackay was still honking though.  I wouldn't want him there every week.

McKay did nothing wrong in that 2nd half and was the closest we came to scoring!

I'm no fan of his but I think some people see the name on the shirt and have written their comments on here before kick off.

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

McKay did nothing wrong in that 2nd half and was the closest we came to scoring!

I'm no fan of his but I think some people see the name on the shirt and have written their comments on here before kick off.

Apart from the one error he was way off being the worst last night. He had one timely intervention and also a decent attempt on goal.

Like you, I’m not a fan of his but he’s not a right back, Yeats isn’t either, so surely a proportion of the blame must go to McGlynn for seeing that as McKay’s best position. He shouldn’t be near the first team but the lack of balance in the squad that’s been built means he is, and regularly plays out of position.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Apart from the one error he was way off being the worst last night. He had one timely intervention and also a decent attempt on goal.

Like you, I’m not a fan of his but he’s not a right back, Yeats isn’t either, so surely a proportion of the blame must go to McGlynn for seeing that as McKay’s best position. He shouldn’t be near the first team but the lack of balance in the squad that’s been built means he is, and regularly plays out of position.

I think the frustration comes from the fact we’ve persisted with McKay for 2 seasons now and he’s played more than enough games at CB and now RB for us to know when push comes to shove he’s nowhere near good enough. I’m disappointed he’s as close to the first team as he currently is - that’s again on Mcglynn. 

While McGlynn keeps us playing this tippy tappy passing across the 6 yard line, the team running out to "Suicide is painless" would be appropriate. 

If not, then the Chuckle Brothers theme tune, "to me, to you" 

Last night was my first game of the season and I was looking forward to seeing if anything had changed since last season. 

There are a number of positives to take from that performance but at the same time a number of glaringly obvious negatives. 

I'll start with the negatives:

Finn Yeats is never a right back and I don't want to see him there again. It's not his fault he's having to cover there

Coll Donaldson is a liability. Somebody who thinks he's better than he is and it always seems to be somebody else's fault when he makes a mistake

Stephen McGinn doesn't have the legs to play two games in 4 days, time definitely catching up

Agyeman is going to both frustrate and delight this season. Whether it's more frustration or delight remains to be seen

Lawal was like a man short and rightly hooked at half time. Back on the bench for him or play him further forward 

Can we get Yeats or McCann on free kicks and corners? I'm sure they took a few at the start of last season and we looked dangerous from them. 

We are so slow and ponderous getting forward. Just like last season

The positives for me were:

Long looked a decent keeper, probably our best player

Lang - error aside - looks solid

McKay was ok at right back. It's not his natural position and it showed, again not his fault he's having to cover there. 

Finn Yeats in the middle of the park looked more natural. Not afraid to get stuck in and try to play forward, would like to see him stay there with Spencer

Liked the look of Calvin Miller when he came on. 

We created chances and against L1 sides I'd like to think we'd take some of them, it's a question of taking them against the QotS, Hamilton and Cove that will decide whether we win the league or not. 

Over the course of the Partick and DU games, we've gone toe to toe with a side who were penalty kicks away from promotion to the Premiership and lost to the side relegated from the Premiership due to a bad mistake. 

Edited by FK1Bairn

9 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I think the frustration comes from the fact we’ve persisted with McKay for 2 seasons now and he’s played more than enough games at CB and now RB for us to know when push comes to shove he’s nowhere near good enough. I’m disappointed he’s as close to the first team as he currently is - that’s again on Mcglynn. 

Yeah, that’s fair enough but given he took part in 38 games across all competitions last season the manager clearly see’s him as a key part of the first team squad and given we’ve not signed a right back, which is where McGlynn see’s McKay’s best position then I expect he’ll take part in a lot of games again this season.

Lang was not at fault for the goal last night. The tactics of playing it out from the back with a group of players who simply aren't skilled enough to do it is the problem. If McGlynn can't see that then it will be calamity after calamity this season.

Dear McGlynn, you're not Pep and we're not Man City. Play to out skill levels and ability and not from Fifa's 'how to look braw' handbook