The Falkirk FC Thread

Moving on from yesterday - which was ultimately a comfortable win albeit with certain aspects that weren't satisfactory.

I have to temper any criticisms I have as it's because this team appears to be making slower progress than we'd all like and I'm unconvinced that we'd pass sterner tests on current experience.

An observation but yesterday did seem to be quite disorganised all over for the club and quite surprised more hasn't been made on here about it.

Misjudged the attendance in the KM at least as far as I understand which led to queues on entry and running out of hot food just after half-time. 

Also scored 4 goals and Amarillo played at each one - what chances they didn't pick a song for any of the scorers.

As it stands I think E section should continue beyond the trial as I don't think it's detracted from the games.

It did feel yesterday that it floundered by both sides - understandably from the Ultras as they were going against the general atmosphere at the time. 

There was also the late announcement that the Brockville Bar wasn't going to be open afterwards.

Edited by Blame Me

16 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Moving on from yesterday - which was ultimately a comfortable win albeit with certain aspects that weren't satisfactory.

I have to temper any criticisms I have as it's because this team appears to be making slower progress than we'd all like and I'm unconvinced that we'd pass sterner tests on current experience.

An observation but yesterday did seem to be quite disorganised all over for the club and quite surprised more hasn't been made on here about it.

Misjudged the attendance in the KM at least as far as I understand which led to queues on entry and running out of hot food just after half-time. 

Also scored 4 goals and Amarillo played at each one - what chances they didn't pick a song for any of the scorers.

As it stands I think E section should continue beyond the trial as I don't think it's detracted from the games.

It did feel yesterday that it floundered by both sides - understandably from the Ultras as they were going against the general atmosphere at the time. 

There was also the late announcement that the Brockville Bar wasn't going to be open afterwards.

Have to agree. Minimal turnstiles open in the WS too which led to queues (the club will say it reflected the attendance but most people arrive between 2.40-3.00 so even with only a couple of thousand, queues build).

Dont buy programmes but the podcast was tagged in a post last night with a pictures from yesterdays joint programme (From Tuesday too) that had McGlynn’s pre match thoughts ahead of the AIRDRIE second leg 🤦🏼‍♂️

30 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Dont buy programmes but the podcast was tagged in a post last night with a pictures from yesterdays joint programme (From Tuesday too) that had McGlynn’s pre match thoughts ahead of the AIRDRIE second leg

Saw that too. I don't tend to buy one either and won't be too harsh as that's the 1st blip I've known to be highlighted with the programme.

Anyone know what our typical circulation is?

Discussing with mates before yesterday’s game about the new season.
More or less said the same.
It’s been a very different close season, if compared to others.
No fitness/friendly games down south which we always looked forward to. Albeit  a couple of closed door games we got little information on. New signings probably done at end of last season, and as far as I know very little trialists at the club.

Manager/CEO very early on confirming that the budgets gone so we go through most of July with no new players. 

As many have posted there’s a team in there but frustrating that there’s a guaranteed starting eleven, regardless of what many fans can already see doesn’t work.
We all agreed that with no RB we could struggle against any side pressing this area. Still hoping that somehow some club will help us out with a free loan or two.

This is one of the most important league campaigns we’ve faced in years, no excuses we simply need to win this league and get it in the bag as quickly as possible. Over to you Mr McGlynn. 

9 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Saw that too. I don't tend to buy one either and won't be too harsh as that's the 1st blip I've known to be highlighted with the programme.

Anyone know what our typical circulation is?

On one of the sponsorship benefits (can’t recall which one on the website) it says inclusion in the match programme which has a match uptake of c200 but that could be old info.

1 hour ago, printer said:

It was also his quick pass inside to Henderson which helped lead to Miller's goal. (Obviously he was at fault for the Peterhead goal, but these things happen and there was plenty time to stop the attack after that.)

Should have took the shot on first time but Yeats should have cleared the ball across and should never have let his man get the shot on the inside.

Some thumping yous took yesterday? 

I made the comment yesterday, when we were struggling, that 'those are all good players out there, so why the f**k are we struggling to make a good team out of them?' 

I disagreed with folk that said McGinn's legs had gone last season but his injuries have caught up with him now and he should only be considered as cover for Spencer or Henderson if they get injured or are on a booking or whatever. 

McGlynn's been faced with a few injuries so far but should now be able to put a team together that can win this league.  As I said before, we play Annan Athletic in our first game. At home. He must put out an attacking side! 

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Jesus wept. Who gives a monkeys what they play after a player scores a goal. I'm just happy they are scoring goals. 

Indeed but it's indicative of behaviours that left can lead to other issues.

If you take for granted that expectations won't be met then what incentive does either side have to make future initiatives work?

If we don't score against Annan then how do we guage the success of that particular aspect of the trial?

Understand it's minor annoyance but if you commit to something then do it or it just looks like lip service.

18 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I made the comment yesterday, when we were struggling, that 'those are all good players out there, so why the f**k are we struggling to make a good team out of them?' 

I disagreed with folk that said McGinn's legs had gone last season but his injuries have caught up with him now and he should only be considered as cover for Spencer or Henderson if they get injured or are on a booking or whatever. 

McGlynn's been faced with a few injuries so far but should now be able to put a team together that can win this league.  As I said before, we play Annan Athletic in our first game. At home. He must put out an attacking side! 

Games played so far have mixed messaging Good v Bad - Positive v Negative.

We will know where the squad stands in the grand scheme of things when we start the only business that matters - The league!

The team and manager need a flying start with hopefully a good display because if they don't think the fanbase will turn on them compounding the problem.

Winning the first league game is critical.

56 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Indeed but it's indicative of behaviours that left can lead to other issues.

If you take for granted that expectations won't be met then what incentive does either side have to make future initiatives work?

If we don't score against Annan then how do we guage the success of that particular aspect of the trial?

Understand it's minor annoyance but if you commit to something then do it or it just looks like lip service.

Has the announcer  been told what to play when Lang, MacIver, Alfie and miller score? Have the 'ultras' communicated this to the club and the announcer? If so what are these songs?

29 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Has the announcer  been told what to play when Lang, MacIver, Alfie and miller score? Have the 'ultras' communicated this to the club and the announcer? If so what are these songs?

To be honest this is irrelevant pish.

Good that the club are reaching out to the youngsters but really who gives a stuff about the choice of music? (though I did recommend a 70’s terracing classic a few days back😁)

3 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

To be honest this is irrelevant pish.

Good that the club are reaching out to the youngsters but really who gives a stuff about the choice of music? (though I did recommend a 70’s terracing classic a few days back😁)

I agree . Asking as we're scoring goals they can play the archers music after every goal as far as I care.

32 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Has the announcer  been told what to play when Lang, MacIver, Alfie and miller score?

You'd hope that someone might anticipate that at least two of those would have been identified as potential scorers and have agreed songs in advance in the event they did and that would be communicated to the PA.

Have the 'ultras' communicated this to the club and the announcer?

It's a joint initiative between the club and Ultras. The club has much more access than the U1876 to put to the players suggested songs or a novel idea may have been to ask the squad 🤨.

I can concede to your point that the song doesn't matter - even if Finn Yeats for instance chooses Celine Dion - at least you can evidence what works or doesn't or why suggest it at all.

If so what are these songs?

Refer to my 2nd assumption. I've seen the original post copied here and their suggestions e.g. Hotstepper for Ola but I'd question what else was worked on between then and the clubs official follow up which didn't have much more detail even though it was 3-weeks apart and didn't mention specifics.

I'm glad the section is hopefully here to stay but beyond the flags & storage what else has been implemented that couldn't by the group on their own?

Just now, Blame Me said:

You'd hope that someone might anticipate that at least two of those would have been identified as potential scorers and have agreed songs in advance in the event they did and that would be communicated to the PA.

It's a joint initiative between the club and Ultras. The club has much more access than the U1876 to put to the players suggested songs or a novel idea may have been to ask the squad 🤨.

I can concede to your point that the song doesn't matter - even if Finn Yeats for instance chooses Celine Dion - at least you can evidence what works or doesn't or why suggest it at all.

Refer to my 2nd assumption. I've seen the original post copied here and their suggestions e.g. Hotstepper for Ola but I'd question what else was worked on between then and the clubs official follow up which didn't have much more detail even though it was 3-weeks apart and didn't mention specifics.

I'm glad the section is hopefully here to stay but beyond the flags & storage what else has been implemented that couldn't by the group on their own?

I'd have thought the ultras should be the ones coming up with the songs to be played.  Club and players have more important things to concentrate on. Wee bit of initiative and ingenuity and they should be able to come up with songs linked to every outfield player.

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

I'd have thought the ultras should be the ones coming up with the songs to be played.  Club and players have more important things to concentrate on. Wee bit of initiative and ingenuity and they should be able to come up with songs linked to every outfield player.

We're not asking the players to write an essay on their favourite artist or song. Your answer is a cop-out!

It's a quick request on a Monday morning over their cornflakes in the canteen!

My main point wasn't about the songs - it's about following through on commitments and co-operation.

3 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

That is my biggest fear. I honestly think we have the players to get out this league with a bit to spare but I’m not convinced we have the manager to utilise them correctly and not just rely on his favourites.

McGlynn will absolutely rely on his favourites, I wouldn't be surprised if Donaldson, Oliver start next week, and as soon as Nesbitt is fit he'll be in aswell. I'd even say if Mackie hadn't got injured he was starting the season at left back despite McCann being a far better left back than him. 

11 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

We're not asking the players to write an essay on their favourite artist or song. Your answer is a cop-out!

It's a quick request on a Monday morning over their cornflakes in the canteen!

My main point wasn't about the songs - it's about following through on commitments and co-operation.

It's no a cop out.  It's far better if the songs are linked to the players in a way than just someone's favourite track.  Gary Oliver for instance . Should be possible to get the we buy any car tune from somewhere to play when he scores.   That to me is a far better way of doing it.