The Falkirk FC Thread

17 hours ago, Jan mosniack said:

Hi folks, running a mini bus up to our game at the TFS on Sep 16. Was looking for recommendations for a boozer pre match. A fun, friendly, cheapish establishment with decent food would be ideal. Thanks in anticipation.

Come off the motorway at Larbert cut off, there’s a pub called The Stables in Stenhousemuir, reasonably priced for drink and food. 10 mins drive to the Stadium fro there

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

There is the rub for TFS as a venue -its location.

Home or away fan it's a hike from the town center, taxi car or a bus not exactly a customer friendly location.

What is needed is development around the stadium to encourage footfall. Same goes for the Kelpies, people turn up have a look at the attraction, there's nothing else to entice them to stay and they bugger off.

Once folk hang around services will locate there to service them.

But that is too much of a good idea for the Falkirk Council's liking

I’m not sure of the clubs ownership but an idea I put forward was to redevelop and let out the North Stand concourse for pop up food stalls etc. Could also potentially consider using the East side to create units for businesses(with the ability to then still turn that side in to a stand that incorporates those units. Know it will take a bit of capital and not sure who owns what but club could do with other avenues of income outside of football. The location of the Falkirk Stadium is prime too for attracting business from the many visitors of the Helix each day. 

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The Auld Toll on Grangemouth used to actively encourage away fans/buses, it’s a Celtic Supporters Bar now so I don’t think that’ll be a good option.

My auld man’s usual haunt. Not sure if he goes as often since it turned in to a Celtic bar though. Always frustrating to see so many Celtic/Rangers fans in towns that don’t go to matches. Different if it’s maybe a family thing but I always have more respect for anyone that supports their local  team and able to relate with them more, even if it’s a Dunfermline fan! 

Edited by Van_damage

49 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

That's another thing I miss about Brockville you could dive into pretty much any boozer up the high street (usually the Newmarket bar for me)before and after the game. Literally a stone's throw from the ground. 

Agreed. The new stadium should've been as close as possible to the town centre - easier said than done I suppose.

Match days at Brockville definitely had a positive effect on the town as a whole.

9 minutes ago, Bairns1994 said:

Agreed. The new stadium should've been as close as possible to the town centre - easier said than done I suppose.

Match days at Brockville definitely had a positive effect on the town as a whole.

Tbh there is not much land near the town now and when tfs was built for the stadium so the only real place was probably brockville and even then it was cramped so the only real place was near st mungos or the land next to the new college and the helix where it is currently unless they wanted to build it somewhere else further away from the town but where it is the now is the best site other than brockville.

the only place that could have been better is where the new college because we could have had 4 stands 

FD74C568-B619-4912-819D-F4C0A392F9F7.jpeg

Edited by Hisingdoon
Adding more info to post

1 minute ago, Van_damage said:

What’s happening with the Shires old ground? 

Burned and nothing happening with site last I heard but who knows what will happen I think they are happy playing at the stadium for the now but it is what it is

57 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

... let out the North Stand concourse for pop up food stalls etc. 

Is the fear that this would affect the contract they have with the outside catering firm who operate the existing pie stalls?

Could also potentially consider using the East side to create units for businesses(with the ability to then still turn that side in to a stand that incorporates those units

Not sure of the licencing arrangements but something akin to rugby with the a tent and two-sided serving area would surely suffice? wouldn't have to be anything elaborate and could service fans in North or South stands.

Picnic tables either side for the hardy in winter 🥶

2 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Is the fear that this would affect the contract they have with the outside catering firm who operate the existing pie stalls?

Not sure of the licencing arrangements but something akin to rugby with the a tent and two-sided serving area would surely suffice? wouldn't have to be anything elaborate and could service fans in North or South stands.

Picnic tables either side for the hardy in winter 🥶

Not sure the details but would be during the week and presume the contract with the caterers will just be for matchdays. Not like it’s in use any other time anyway. 

The tent idea was something we pitched(no pun intended) for the KM game but as it was evening it didn’t feel worthwhile as people coming from work. Plus the circus was on that weekend too. Definitely something that could work on matchdays but think that’s where a clash may come with the caterers for any food offerings. 

Unbelievable, but only 2 games in and Stirling Albion is almost shaping up to be a "must win" game for us ! 

Looking back at some posts, I agree that Lang, Spencer, McIver and Agyemon (infuriating though he is) are an improvement over last seasons guys.

However, as we have already seen many times this season, our defence still gives me nightmares. We cannot continue to give schoolboy goals away as we have done....or even allow the opposition to get a sniff.  Until we sort that out, we are going to struggle. 

FFS......imagine being nervous about playing Stirling Albion at home !!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Not sure the details but would be during the week and presume the contract with the caterers will just be for matchdays. Not like it’s in use any other time anyway. 

My mistake - I took it you meant on matchdays.

Just now, Blame Me said:

My mistake - I took it you meant on matchdays.

No worries. Didn’t specify but was meaning throughout the week. Definitely need to find more ways of capitalising on the tourism the kelpies create. Just been voted one of the Worlds top landmarks(metal and potentially horse based but still!)

1 hour ago, Bairns1994 said:

At the time we were looking to build a new ground, the only place I can recall being named as a possible location was Stirling Road playing fields. Was probably in the Herald as I think those were pre-internet days. IIRC the flood risk put paid to that idea.