The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, SuperTuesday said:

The keeper position is fine, Long won't be playing in those conditions again, and as we move out of winter we need a keeper who can play with his feet well to keep the movement quick which he does.

I'd be spending any money we have on a number 9 if possible.

Not for me- goalkeeper is a far bigger weakness than centre forward imo and I wouldn’t be playing Long at all.

I’m not Maciver’s biggest fan (and he wouldn’t do a league up in my view) but he will do a job there with Shanley as back up. 

22 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Not for me- goalkeeper is a far bigger weakness than centre forward imo and I wouldn’t be playing Long at all.

I’m not Maciver’s biggest fan (and he wouldn’t do a league up in my view) but he will do a job there with Shanley as back up. 

I think we are forgetting the saves/points he has saved us and going on the emotion of Saturday.

59 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I would have loved to have seen him kick on for us but it just hasn't happened. I hope the laddie does enough up there to earn himself a contract for next season and beyond.

All the best Ola.

Always seemed a really good dude. A good example of an ex player who'll get a good reception if he ever comes back. Never lacked effort or showed a bad attitude. Just wasn't good enough sadly.

I don't think we've seen anything like enough from Shanley yet to suggest he's going to be a goalscoring deputy for MacIvor so would also prioritise a striker.  That's not writing him off, we just haven't seen it.  If injuries meant we were going into games with Oliver up front then that's asking for trouble.  

We also need an experienced keeper in my view so would be prioritising those 2 positions and using Mackie, Henderson and at a push McGinn as CH cover. 

44 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

I do hope the players put on loan have a stipulation in their loan agreement that they do not play against Falkirk

I'm sure it's in SFA/SPFL rules. Jay Hogarth was unable to play for Dumbarton v Rangers at the weekend as he's on loan at Dumbarton from Rangers despite Rangers being happy for him to play

33 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

2 games, 4 goals conceded form set pieces I believe. Thats not good enough.

Defenders aren't blameless in any of the goals either. Are we dropping the back 4 as well? Are we dropping MacIver for not scoring in 4 games?

3 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Defenders aren't blameless in any of the goals either. Are we dropping the back 4 as well? Are we dropping MacIver for not scoring in 4 games?

Basic goalkeeping mistakes shouldnt be happening, Look at the first goal vs Bonnyrigg for me

4 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

We don't have very similar defenders vying for the shirt. Either the GK model we have gone with, I think you need to have the incentive of wait for your chance, you'll get it.

In the case of Maciver thats way too simplistic. His goals return isn't the primary reason why he starts

I like the signings so far btw fwiw tbh. 

I think we are pretty much, in terms of system, a bit of a one trick pony. Not said as a criticism but just an observation. With that said, prior to the additions of Shanley and Tait, the quality and nature of player didn't really exist on the bench to allow for injuries, or just to change it at 70 minutes to keep the intensity high. 

I'm a big believer and have said many times that we now, finally, die to style and FT status, run the legs off of teams but it has definitely been the case sometimes that the subs sook all the momentum out the team. 

I think we are now much closer to being equipped to play our first choice style of football, at the high pace that other teams struggle with, for a linger duration. 

27 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Still can't quite understand where Tait (as an attacking midfielder) fits in.  Hopefully won't result in unnecessary tinkering to get him into the first XI.  He, like Ross, needs to earn his place.  

It is that tinkering option that will be required in the remaining league games.

Opposition now know how we play and having an option to change the formation is definitely a plus

I get where people are coming from wanting a better option in goals than what we currently have but realistically how many experienced keepers are floating about looking for a club in January? Or even want to go out on loan.

With Lawal gone we're down to a squad of 20 so hopefully room for a couple of additions especially with us having one loan left. Centre back cover so we don't ever have to shoehorn Mackie in there or drop Hendo back in would be nice and a striker so we've got 3 to choose from for the rest of the season. 

As McGlynn has said previously though we'll only be bringing someone in if the qualities there but given how good his signings have been I can't wait to see who's next. 

2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I don't think we've seen anything like enough from Shanley yet to suggest he's going to be a goalscoring deputy for MacIvor so would also prioritise a striker.  That's not writing him off, we just haven't seen it.  If injuries meant we were going into games with Oliver up front then that's asking for trouble.  

We also need an experienced keeper in my view so would be prioritising those 2 positions and using Mackie, Henderson and at a push McGinn as CH cover. 

What striker is out there that's a proven goal scorer and would fit into a one up top formation? Shanley's goal scoring record isn't too bad I don't think, particularly as he was playing for EC, who weren't creating loads of chances. I agree that we haven't seen enough of him to form a solid opinion, but he already looks more suited to the role than Allan (who was scoring regularly for Clyde) did. Unless it's another striker that can play on his own and has a good scoring record, then we won't have seen enough of any further addition either.