The get fit, stay fit thread

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I had no idea but apparently bone percentage is around 5%.

Skeletons are quite skinny btw.

Look, I am big boned whatever anyone says...

Edit:  Just had a quick google and 15% is ok.  Phew.

Edited by The_Kincardine

I can’t imagine scales will be able to accurately measure body fat. It will still be a decent guide and give you something to work towards though. 
These are the withings ones, it uses an induction method. Not totally accurate.
Have got a health check thing lined up soon so will ask for bf measurement and compare.
Best guide is a mirror and comparing it to online guides. I think around 20% is accurate for me tbh.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

These are the withings ones, it uses an induction method. Not totally accurate.
Have got a health check thing lined up soon so will ask for bf measurement and compare.
Best guide is a mirror and comparing it to online guides. I think around 20% is accurate for me tbh.

I believe Calipers are the best way to measure it but I've never used them myself.

The scales are an estimate but if you measured it everyday for a few days the average of that would probably give you a reasonably accurate measure.

50 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I believe Calipers are the best way to measure it but I've never used them myself.

The scales are an estimate but if you measured it everyday for a few days the average of that would probably give you a reasonably accurate measure.

They are. I’ve been callipered a few times and it’s great and it tells you the specific areas you have the highest %. I was 19% last time I got it done but I reckon I’ll be under 15% now (well on a Friday, up slightly after the weekend). 

Went through a 4 or 5 week lull there where I was still making it to the gym once or twice a week but largely half arsing the weights and doing f**k all cardio. Last fortnight I have been back in 3 times a week and pushing myself again. Put on 2kg, not helped by half arsing it but largely because the missus is pregnant and I have used that 4/5 weeks as an excuse to just be a fat c**t. Sensible head back on and looking to lose at least half a stone by new year and another half stone before the wee man is born. Have all but given up the bevvy of late which is probably why I only put on 2kg and not a fair bit more.

Still sticking with the pyramid approach on the weights, 20/15/10, light, medium, heavy. Lost a little strength in the process but noticing a bit more muscle definition, especially on my arms and chest. Will stick with it a while longer but should probably change my routine a bit more as I've pretty much been doing the same things now for the last 18-24 months.

Back active after a week of illness and drinking Friday night. Stomach still feels like I have some muscle problems though, like I've pulled one or something.

Still, 8k at lunch today in just over 40mins with some of the lads here really happy with that.

36 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

You should start playing badminton, that’s how you properly build muscle.

It works for me, but only because I built my racquet with a barbell as the handle and a 5ft trampoline as the head. I also use a medicine ball instead of shuttlecock. 

Anybody got/used one of these :

s-l300.jpg.d17d2664b3bee36f898cad055a65fd34.jpg

For the past 6 month or so I've started getting a lot of bother with my wrists when my palms are flat on the ground when doing things like press ups - but they're fine if I do it clenched fist. 

Looking at getting one of these but unsure if the build quality etc is any good. 

Anybody got/used one of these :
s-l300.jpg.d17d2664b3bee36f898cad055a65fd34.jpg
For the past 6 month or so I've started getting a lot of bother with my wrists when my palms are flat on the ground when doing things like press ups - but they're fine if I do it clenched fist. 
Looking at getting one of these but unsure if the build quality etc is any good. 
I've got one, pretty solid.
Theres a cheaper version on ebay from China. Couldn't see any different except price. Theres one of the back positions that's a total killer. The wide position blue one is really easy and feels like the board helps.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Got myself a pullup bar at home. Did 20 or so along with workouts four days in a row.
Now walking about like a robot, or it feels like that anyway.
emoji38.png
Definitely pleased with it not felt this much upper body pain since bench pressing years ago.

Pull ups or chin ups?

I can manage 8 or so chin ups and 2 pull ups. Frustrates the life out of me that no matter what I do I can't seem to make a dent on either. Even using the weighted bar in the gym, I am fucked when I try and go below 25kg on the pull ups.

Everything else I do I have gradually increased the weight I can manage. Those two have stayed largely static and it pisses me off.

Edited by Ross.

Pull ups or chin ups?
I can manage 8 or so chin ups and 2 pull ups. Frustrates the life out of me that no matter what I do I can't seem to make a dent on either. Even using the weighted bar in the gym, I am fucked when I try and go below 25kg on the pull ups.
Everything else I do I have gradually increased the weight I can manage. Those two have stayed largely static and it pisses me off.
Not in a row. I've only just started.
From fresh maybe five wide pullups or ten chinups.
Not sure about form as I swing a bit.
Got the pullup mate thing so you can also do dips.
I'm just using it as an add on to free weights and multi gym.
I guess unless you build muscle on shoulders then it would be hard to progress? I find it works similar muscles to the lateral pull down exercise which must be helping as I can lift about 80kg on that.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I guess unless you build muscle on shoulders then it would be hard to progress? I find it works similar muscles to the lateral pull down exercise which must be helping as I can lift about 80kg on that.

Shoulders are probably the muscle I struggle with most. Really need to do more work there but find it too frustrating that they are so weak compared to the rest. Lat pull down I can get up to 60kg or so, then I am done. That ties in with the pull up machine as my weight tends to float around the 82kg mark.