The get fit, stay fit thread

Thought I'd post in this. Been enjoying the gym to get my endorphins going, but I suffer from hypermobility. Trying to go every second day, but now trying to go every three days in a row with a forth one off. Any advice for getting the most out of my body?

Sufficient rest between sessions is absolutely crucial. Proper recovery is just as important as what you do in the gym; when you're not in the gym, keep relatively relaxed, don't over exert yourself and sleep plenty.

Eat your greens, consume plenty of protein to ensure your muscles repair themselves properly, and don't rush back too fast. Wait until the aches and swollen feeling that occurs after the gym subside to a tolerable level before you head back.

3 days a week is plenty for someone who wants to keep to a decent standard of fitness.

Edited by DonnieDarko

Joined the gym at my local social club. Works out only £40 a year. I haven't been down to it yet but plan on going today to lose weight and get fit again. Used to play 5's on a regular basis but have maybe played 5/6 times in the last year. The only real exercise I have been doing is walking the dog a few miles a day.

I am cutting out snacks between meals and fizzy juice ( my really bad habit ) so hoping to shed some weight. Having a wee competition with some of my family to see who can lose the most, the competition will hopefully keep us all on track.

Looking for a wee bit of advice on what should I do at the gym. Its meant to be pretty basic but has weights, exercise bikes, rowing machines, treadmills ect. Just now I am probably the most unfit I have been in my life and defo overweight.

I have been reading about intensive 20 minute workouts are better to burn fat ect. Will have a read through this thread too to see if I can pick up helpful tips.

Started swimming at least twice a week whilst the other half has her own thing away from the house.

Getting 1.75km a time plus a return walk of a mile and a half to the pool and a half on top of that. Also finding it much easier to get a decent sleep if I do it in the evening. Hopefully taking out the monthly pass gives me the incentive to get my moneys worth due to unlimited access.

That and cutting out midweek drinking (tomorrow excepted for the Poland game with friends).

Eta: put on an impressive 7.5 pounds on holiday last month but lost about 4 since. Everyone's scales seem to differ unless I fluctuate by a pound or two daily!

Edited by Hedgecutter

Started swimming at least twice a week whilst the other half has her own thing away from the house.

Getting 1.75km a time plus a return walk of a mile and a half to the pool and a half on top of that. Also finding it much easier to get a decent sleep if I do it in the evening. Hopefully taking out the monthly pass gives me the incentive to get my moneys worth due to unlimited access.

That and cutting out midweek drinking (tomorrow excepted for the Poland game with friends).

Eta: put on an impressive 7.5 pounds on holiday last month but lost about 4 since. Everyone's scales seem to differ unless I fluctuate by a pound or two daily!

I used to love Swimming until a incident in the Paisley Lagoon put me off it for life. A plaster full of blood and puss floated past me :green

Joined the gym at my local social club. Works out only £40 a year. I haven't been down to it yet but plan on going today to lose weight and get fit again. Used to play 5's on a regular basis but have maybe played 5/6 times in the last year. The only real exercise I have been doing is walking the dog a few miles a day.

I am cutting out snacks between meals and fizzy juice ( my really bad habit ) so hoping to shed some weight. Having a wee competition with some of my family to see who can lose the most, the competition will hopefully keep us all on track.

Looking for a wee bit of advice on what should I do at the gym. Its meant to be pretty basic but has weights, exercise bikes, rowing machines, treadmills ect. Just now I am probably the most unfit I have been in my life and defo overweight.

I have been reading about intensive 20 minute workouts are better to burn fat ect. Will have a read through this thread too to see if I can pick up helpful tips.

The 20 minute bit is correct. I think it can go up to 40 minutes, but it depends if you want to burn fat or get fitter, which usually lets you do longer sessions.

Suggest a warm up of your limbs and then 20 minutes on the cross trainer first as it's low impact on your limbs. Also worth noting that the first time you go, your body will struggle, as everyones does, but your fitness will improve loads when you go back the second time.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with your session mate.

I think, and I stress think, you are talking about HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Search this thread for HIIT and you will find plenty of folk talking about it.

I weighed myself last night.175.8lbs. Signing up for the Gym tonight with a target of 2lbs a week. Waning to get down to 210 over next two years.

Spending the gym membership fees on pints and burgers instead would be a much more fun and far better way of achieving your goal imo.

The 20 minute bit is correct. I think it can go up to 40 minutes, but it depends if you want to burn fat or get fitter, which usually lets you do longer sessions.

Suggest a warm up of your limbs and then 20 minutes on the cross trainer first as it's low impact on your limbs. Also worth noting that the first time you go, your body will struggle, as everyones does, but your fitness will improve loads when you go back the second time.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with your session mate.

I think, and I stress think, you are talking about HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Search this thread for HIIT and you will find plenty of folk talking about it.

Cheers boys. Started college in August and when I was working in the workshop parts of my back and legs started aching and I was hardly doing any hard graft.

The problem has been motivation and keeping it going. I can lose a stone in 6 weeks then lose interest and put half of it back on within a few weeks.Hopefully having a weekly update on here might spur me on too.

I worry its a bit early to write this down anywhere - but today is day 2 off the fags.

It feels a little different to any "day 2" I've got to before. Not raking through jacket pockets or shouting at the television yet...

I've rejoined the gym, I think I need to add some weights to my running.

Anyone got any good programmes, looking for some #gainz

Full-body probably be best, you don't wanna interfere with the running too much; if that's your priority.

Something like Day 1: Squats, bench and deadlift 3x6-8 (setsxreps), Chin-ups (1-2x8-12). Day 2: Squats, Shoulder press, rows (3x6-8), dips (1-2x8-12). M/W/F schedule would be good.

And then transition onto an upper/lower split once you've gotten used to the DOMs and working out regularly again.

I've rejoined the gym, I think I need to add some weights to my running.

Anyone got any good programmes, looking for some #gainz

Been using the one below and really enjoyed it. Noticed muscle gain here and there. I don't lift three days a week though and usually cram most noted into one or two sessions.

http://www.building-muscle101.com/advanced-weight-lifting-routines.html '> http://www.building-muscle101.com/advanced-weight-lifting-routines.html

I worry its a bit early to write this down anywhere - but today is day 2 off the fags.

It feels a little different to any "day 2" I've got to before. Not raking through jacket pockets or shouting at the television yet...

Well done mate. I'm on Day 3 with help of my vapour and playing football tonight.

Getting heavily into exercise made me truly kick fags. Gave up daily but would smoke when i drank. Got to point if smoked at weekend my cardio would be wrecked for weeks. Now can get absolutely slaughtered and not even consider smoking as is always at the back of my head.

I've started using the free* Stronglifts app for weight training, it's handy as it tells you what reps to do of each exercise and at what weight (start off with 5 x 5) and when you log a set it automatically starts counting the rest period before ringing a bell at the start time for the next set. If you managed to complete the sets (or not) it tells you what weight to use next time. I found the counter aspect really good as I definitely never used to allow myself enough recovery time between sets, especially on compound exercises like squats and I've been able to increase the amount of weight by a reasonable chunk.

Obviously you need a smartphone and pair of earphones on you while you're training but I've normally got that anyway to block out the 140bpm monotonous pish on repeat at my gym.

*there are add ons which cost a couple of quid but you definitely don't need them at the start and the basic app is free.