The get fit, stay fit thread

Hi guys been lurking on this thread for a while and I’ve been going to the Gym since the end of October and I’m feeling a lot better for it although my belly is hanging around pretty stubbornly but my tits are reducing. I try and do 3km on the treadmill and then 5-8km on the bike and some general weight stuff but I feel like I’m hitting a limit, I feel utterly feck on the treadmill but want to push on distance wise, anyone had similar experiances, is it just a case of increasing the speed? 
Should add that I’m eating a lot better having a Salad everyday and really cutting back in Carbs and Drink however feel a lot more tired again any advice? 

Cheers.
A.   

I’m no expert by any means but before a few months ago I did f**k all running.

I was going to the gym regularly and just doing HIIT and boxing and other stuff like that, maybe a bit of cycling. Was only after about 5/6 weeks I decided to mix it up and go for a run.

I couldn’t believe how easy I found it and that was just based on healthy diet and working out regularly that really improved my cardio.

Also I hate running on treadmills, I can run for miles outdoors but a treadmill I get off after about 2k, too boring. If it’s running you want to do I’d suggest getting out on the road or a park or whatever.

As I say, no expert and that was just my experience but may be worth a try.

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

Hi guys been lurking on this thread for a while and I’ve been going to the Gym since the end of October and I’m feeling a lot better for it although my belly is hanging around pretty stubbornly but my tits are reducing. I try and do 3km on the treadmill and then 5-8km on the bike and some general weight stuff but I feel like I’m hitting a limit, I feel utterly feck on the treadmill but want to push on distance wise, anyone had similar experiances, is it just a case of increasing the speed? 

Should add that I’m eating a lot better having a Salad everyday and really cutting back in Carbs and Drink however feel a lot more tired again any advice? 

Cheers.

A.   

Get the treadmill to f**k mate. Go for a run outdoors, you’ll find that you can go a lot further due to (a) not being bored as f**k, and (b) not being near home when you start to tire.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m no expert by any means but before a few months ago I did f**k all running.

I was going to the gym regularly and just doing HIIT and boxing and other stuff like that, maybe a bit of cycling. Was only after about 5/6 weeks I decided to mix it up and go for a run.

I couldn’t believe how easy I found it and that was just based on healthy diet and working out regularly that really improved my cardio.

Also I hate running on treadmills, I can run for miles outdoors but a treadmill I get off after about 2k, too boring. If it’s running you want to do I’d suggest getting out on the road or a park or whatever.

As I say, no expert and that was just my experience but may be worth a try.

13 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Get the treadmill to f**k mate. Go for a run outdoors, you’ll find that you can go a lot further due to (a) not being bored as f**k, and (b) not being near home when you start to tire.

Cheers guys I used to enjoy going for a run on the beach in the summer so might take my head torch and head down there and do a lap of Aberdour

Cheers.
A.   

Get back on the carbs mate. Will help your energy levels.

would wholemeal Pasta be better than its normal equivalent or does it not make much real difference?

Generally doesnt make much difference if you are controlling your portion size and its part of a calorie deficit. That being said, wholemeal pasta is more nutritious. No point forcing yourself to eat wholemeat pasta if you really dont like it

Just weighed in a lost a couple more pounds, unfortunately off to Naples this weekend, so expect to put a bit back on after numerous Peronis. However unlike before where I would usually be a write off after coming back, genuinely quite excited to get back into the routine, and I am now pretty much free till the end of March, so have the best part of two months to really crack on. 

Apologies to lower the tone, but I have noticed my bowel movement is a lot better now. I am pretty much going for a shite at half 9 on the dot most mornings now. Opposed to a month or so ago, where I could go two or three days with nothing, and then produce a piss like substance from my arse. Anyway enjoy your breakfast. 

would wholemeal Pasta be better than its normal equivalent or does it not make much real difference?
You would have to research this further, but I read something about pasta regarding cooking it, then coolong it before you use it. Changes the way its absorbed by the body or something

20 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Just weighed in a lost a couple more pounds, unfortunately off to Naples this weekend, so expect to put a bit back on after numerous Peronis. However unlike before where I would usually be a write off after coming back, genuinely quite excited to get back into the routine, and I am now pretty much free till the end of March, so have the best part of two months to really crack on. 

Apologies to lower the tone, but I have noticed my bowel movement is a lot better now. I am pretty much going for a shite at half 9 on the dot most mornings now. Opposed to a month or so ago, where I could go two or three days with nothing, and then produce a piss like substance from my arse. Anyway enjoy your breakfast. 

This is all too familiar :lol:

I also weighed myself this morning and I'm down to 91.5kg.  Coming from 105kg in September, getting below 90kg would/will be a big milestone for me so hoping for that before January is out.

59 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Image result for david tanner scottish cup draw

Was in the gym today and was talking to a guy about lifting gloves.  I always use gloves as I have excema and am worried about my skin getting significantly damaged but the guy I was speaking to is a serious powerlifting and said that liquid chalk is better.  I might buy a wee tub of MyProtein liquid chalk, does anyone use this or any other chalks?

Apparently they have alcohol in them so if they don't work I can just eat it and get drunk.

Re: Running on a treadmill vs on the road - When I was out running half marathon distance without a great deal of effort I still couldn't manage a 5k on the treadmill. Always left me absolutely fucked. Only thing I ever use the treadmill for is HIIT.  20 seconds full pelt, 40-60 seconds walking, and repeat until ready to die.

Re: Running on a treadmill vs on the road - When I was out running half marathon distance without a great deal of effort I still couldn't manage a 5k on the treadmill. Always left me absolutely fucked. Only thing I ever use the treadmill for is HIIT.  20 seconds full pelt, 40-60 seconds walking, and repeat until ready to die.

When I do HIIT on the treadmill I do something along the lines of

5 minute jog
Then on every odd minute (5, 7, 9 etc), crank it up full speed and sprint.
Sprint until the clock says 45s (5.45, 7.45 etc) and back down to walking pace, it’ll take about 15s to speed up and to slow down, so sprinting about 30s in total
Walk on even numbered minutes

Repeat until dead.

7 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

When I do HIIT on the treadmill I do something along the lines of

5 minute jog
Then on every odd minute (5, 7, 9 etc), crank it up full speed and sprint.
Sprint until the clock says 45s (5.45, 7.45 etc) and back down to walking pace, it’ll take about 15s to speed up and to slow down, so sprinting about 30s in total
Walk on even numbered minutes

Repeat until dead.

I've stopped using the motorised treadmill and use the curved manual effort as I find it easier to speed up and slow down when doing HIIT. Seems to take a lot more effort to use, though I have no idea if that is a good or a bad thing.

Done absolutely f**k all since Saturday morning fwiw, thanks to having a b*****d of a heavy cold. Heading up the mountains tomorrow for a few days. I can't ski so will likely get a power of hill walking and sledding in, which I suppose is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Does anyone have any snacks that they never get sick of?

I make healthy flapjacks with oats, dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter but I get so bored of eating them. Buying ready made stuff is far too dear, I'm looking for inspiration.

Olives 

Does anyone have any snacks that they never get sick of?
I make healthy flapjacks with oats, dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter but I get so bored of eating them. Buying ready made stuff is far too dear, I'm looking for inspiration.
Just discovered frozen fruit and veg packs in asda. I bang them in a smoothie. Takes seconds and you can add any of the stuff you mentioned to it.
Pretty cold though but I have them after a workout so usually roasting.

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

I've stopped using the motorised treadmill and use the curved manual effort as I find it easier to speed up and slow down when doing HIIT. Seems to take a lot more effort to use, though I have no idea if that is a good or a bad thing.

Done absolutely f**k all since Saturday morning fwiw, thanks to having a b*****d of a heavy cold. Heading up the mountains tomorrow for a few days. I can't ski so will likely get a power of hill walking and sledding in, which I suppose is better than nothing.

Have you given cross country a go? Just like going for a walk except you can go much further, and very easy to pick up.

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have you given cross country a go? Just like going for a walk except you can go much further, and very easy to pick up.

Not really an option where we will be, terrain is only really suitable for downhill. I'll get the snowshoes out and head up a few of the mountains though. Enjoy doing that anyway.