Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ozil's goal is an absolute peach. Nice ball from Ramsey for the assist too. I've never been a big fan of his but his form so far this season has been remarkable. The turn around from Arsenal since the Villa game has been astonishing.

Ozil's goal is an absolute peach. Nice ball from Ramsey for the assist too. I've never been a big fan of his but his form so far this season has been remarkable. The turn around from Arsenal since the Villa game has been astonishing.

There hasn't really been a "turnaround" - they've just carried on their form from the end of last season. The Villa game was a blip, and they were on the end of a fairly contentious refereeing decision that day too.

Since losing at White Hart Lane on the 3rd March their record in competitive matches has been P22 W18 D3 L1. The Villa game was the only defeat, while the draws were against Everton and Man Utd at the Emirates last season plus last week's League Cup tie against West Brom which they eventually won on penalties with a weakened side.

I think the only thing which will stop them from putting up a decent challenge for the title will be a lack of depth in the centre-back and centre-forward positions. If they get lucky and keep Mertesacker, Koscielny and Giroud fit all season, who knows.

There hasn't really been a "turnaround" - they've just carried on their form from the end of last season. The Villa game was a blip, and they were on the end of a fairly contentious refereeing decision that day too.

Since losing at White Hart Lane on the 3rd March their record in competitive matches has been P22 W18 D3 L1. The Villa game was the only defeat, while the draws were against Everton and Man Utd at the Emirates last season plus last week's League Cup tie against West Brom which they eventually won on penalties with a weakened side.

I think the only thing which will stop them from putting up a decent challenge for the title will be a lack of depth in the centre-back and centre-forward positions. If they get lucky and keep Mertesacker, Koscielny and Giroud fit all season, who knows.

Would expect Arsenal to attempt to sign another centre forward in January. Wenger must be wincing every time Giroud goes in for a tackle because they're in trouble if he gets an injury. Bendtner isn't good enough and they don't have the likes of Gervinho as in previous seasons, nor do they have Podolski or Walcott for the forseeable future to fill in. Whether they make it to January with Giroud fit and remaining on form remains to be seen. Not sure this will be a title challenging season but they should be equipped for a better fight at it this time around, with a proper go next season.

They've been wonderful since that WHL defeat though. The first 20 minutes tonight was as good as you'll see in the competition this season.

The win away against Bayern really kick started Arsenal, especially with how they had been totally outplayed at home to them in the first leg.

With regards to a striker, will they try for Suarez again? There isn't that many top class strikers out there that Arsenal will realistically be able to poach, unless someone like Monaco go tits up.

I really like Giroud, he was decent in his first season, and appears to have added more goals this season, but his overall game is much more than that, he links play well, and runs the channels when required giving other players space. He also lifts the team whenever he plays, he's genuinely passionate about playing for them, it's clear to see.

Flamini also looks like he's continuing where he left Arsenal, after years of being marignal at Milan.

As always it'll be injuries and how they cope with them, that decides how this season will go, they done well the last few weeks, and now players like Rosicky are coming back, it cab only be positive.

Was there not a rumour doing the rounds that Monaco are already offering Falcao about,given their tax status might change soon?

Would his wage not be too much even for Arsenal's loosened purse strings? Pretty sure he's earning around 190,000euros a week after tax at Monaco currently. It'd be a hell of a wage cut he'd need to take even if Arsenal matched what they're paying Ozil weekly.

Yeah in retrospect turnaround wasn't the right word for it. As you said they had a great run of form towards the end of last season and they've just shrugged it off and carried on where they left off. The defeat to Villa seemed like it could be potentially damaging to the team's morale especially given the poisonous atmosphere amongst a large amount of the Arsenal support. They deserve credit for having shrugged it off and continued win games whilst playing a lot of excellent football.

If they have Podolski and Walcott back from injury then they could proably get by with an injury to Giroud although given his current form they'll be praying it doesn't come to that. Losing Koscienly or Mertesacker to a long injury could be a much bigger problem as Vermaelen's form and habit of picking up small annoying injuries last season was enough for Wenger to decide to drop him in favour of those two despite him being club captain.

Would his wage not be too much even for Arsenal's loosened purse strings? Pretty sure he's earning around 190,000euros a week after tax at Monaco currently. It'd be a hell of a wage cut he'd need to take even if Arsenal matched what they're paying Ozil weekly.

Ah I meant that generally, not in terms of Arsenal. I think if they were to buy a "big name" forward it'd be both harsh on Giroud, but also a risk given how well the team is playing around him.

I think it's more likely Wenger would look at soemone less obvious and look to build him up, I can't think whio that might be though.

The win away against Bayern really kick started Arsenal, especially with how they had been totally outplayed at home to them in the first leg.

With regards to a striker, will they try for Suarez again? There isn't that many top class strikers out there that Arsenal will realistically be able to poach, unless someone like Monaco go tits up.

I really like Giroud, he was decent in his first season, and appears to have added more goals this season, but his overall game is much more than that, he links play well, and runs the channels when required giving other players space. He also lifts the team whenever he plays, he's genuinely passionate about playing for them, it's clear to see.

Flamini also looks like he's continuing where he left Arsenal, after years of being marignal at Milan.

As always it'll be injuries and how they cope with them, that decides how this season will go, they done well the last few weeks, and now players like Rosicky are coming back, it cab only be positive.

Bayern v Arsenal is basically the dream final. Arsenal have the better first X1 and manager, but Bayern have greater strength in depth and socks.

Bayern v Arsenal is basically the dream final. Arsenal have the better first X1 and manager, but Bayern have greater strength in depth and socks.

:lol: don't talk nonsense, Arsenal do not have a better starting 11 than Bayern

I've got a mate who follows Arsenal and according to him, Wenger is going to offer Mertesacker a new 3 year deal. This, combined with the Ozil signing, is part of a tactic to lure young German talents to Arsenal - Draxler being one of the names mentioned.

This could all be hearsay, but on the face of it, it seems plausible. Mertesacker and Ozil are influential players in the German national team and Podolski is still very much involved.

I've got a mate who follows Arsenal and according to him, Wenger is going to offer Mertesacker a new 3 year deal. This, combined with the Ozil signing, is part of a tactic to lure young German talents to Arsenal - Draxler being one of the names mentioned.

This could all be hearsay, but on the face of it, it seems plausible. Mertesacker and Ozil are influential players in the German national team and Podolski is still very much involved.

One of the pundits on ITV's champions league highlights show last night actually claimed that Arsenal came close to meeting Draxler's buy out clause but in the end backed out and got Ozil later in the window.

One of the pundits on ITV's champions league highlights show last night actually claimed that Arsenal came close to meeting Draxler's buy out clause but in the end backed out and got Ozil later in the window.

I'd heard they were interested in him during the summer but didn't know they'd got as close as that.

Draxler is obviously a wonderful talent, but you do wonder whether it would really be a necessary signing given that they already have Ozil and Cazorla.

Aye, he's a pretty similar player to what they already have.

Slightly off topic, but it's scary the amount of talent Germany have in that area of the pitch.

Archived