Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Arsenal almost certainly won't win the league, but this is a building season for them. It's not about their final position (although top four is obviously a must - not a given, with City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham all going well, with Man Utd surely bound to improve), it's about being within ten points or so the whole way through. Then a couple of shrewd signings in January/the summer and you're looking at genuine challengers. Top four and a relative interest in the title race all season represents success for Arsenal, if they can keep hold of the squad, which for a change you imagine they will.

However if Man City/Chelsea don't put a proper run together as I expect they will, and they get another top striker (Benzema has been mentioned) rather than relying on plonkers like Bendtner to fill the gap, I guess you just never know...

Big test this month. Fixtures are:

Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Champions League -Group F

ArsenalvBorussia Dortmund

Tue 22 Oct 19:45 Show Premier League

Crystal PalacevArsenal

Sat 26 Oct 12:45 Show League Cup - Fourth Round

ArsenalvChelsea

Tue 29 Oct 19:45 November 2013 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Premier League

ArsenalvLiverpool

Sat 2 Nov 17:30 Show Champions League -Group F

Borussia DortmundvArsenal

Wed 6 Nov 19:45 Show Premier League

Man UtdvArsenal

Sun 10 Nov 16:10 Show Premier League

ArsenalvSouthampton

Sat 23 Nov 15:00 Show Champions League -Group F

ArsenalvMarseille

Tue 26 Nov 19:45 Show Premier League

CardiffvArsenal

Sat 30 Nov 15:00

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ozil arriving seemed to have bought the best out of them all. We all knew Wiltshire and Ramsey were good players but they both had their injury worries but just now they are a joy to watch!! Booming with confidence and looking by far the best in the league. I get the feeling though that an injury to a player or one bad result and the bubble will burst, hope I'm wrong

Depends on the injury - the have real depth in midfield now, Giroud is the one you would worry about but even if he does get injured you copuld see a Walcott being used there, or even a false 9 with one of the midfielders.

Depends on the injury - the have real depth in midfield now, Giroud is the one you would worry about but even if he does get injured you copuld see a Walcott being used there, or even a false 9 with one of the midfielders.

There's Podolski too, plus Bendtner is nowhere near as bad as is made out and could easily do a job for a few games.

Centre-back would be the biggest area of concern for me. They only really have Vermaelen as back-up then you're talking about sticking someone like Sagna in there.

There's Podolski too, plus Bendtner is nowhere near as bad as is made out and could easily do a job for a few games.

Centre-back would be the biggest area of concern for me. They only really have Vermaelen as back-up then you're talking about sticking someone like Sagna in there.

Completely forgotten about Pdolski, good shout.

Sagna did well there in a few games at the start of their season. He's probably a better centre-back than Vermaelen.

Arsenal have the best Premiership record in 2013. I wouldn't write them off, especially with Ozil now in the side and on fire.

Yup. They do genuinely seem to be slipping under the radar a bit simply because they've not won anything in so long, everybody just expects them to collapse at some point. It's easy to forgot they had the second best defensive record in the EPL last season, and conceded less away from home than any other team. They even kept a clean sheet in Munich. The days of them being a complete liability at the back and easy to stifle going forward have been for a while now, yet they still get judged with those expectations

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Arsenal almost certainly won't win the league, but this is a building season for them. It's not about their final position (although top four is obviously a must - not a given, with City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham all going well, with Man Utd surely bound to improve), it's about being within ten points or so the whole way through. Then a couple of shrewd signings in January/the summer and you're looking at genuine challengers. Top four and a relative interest in the title race all season represents success for Arsenal, if they can keep hold of the squad, which for a change you imagine they will.

However if Man City/Chelsea don't put a proper run together as I expect they will, and they get another top striker (Benzema has been mentioned) rather than relying on plonkers like Bendtner to fill the gap, I guess you just never know...

Big test this month. Fixtures are:

Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Premier League

ArsenalvLiverpool

Sat 2 Nov 17:30 Show Champions League -Group F

Borussia DortmundvArsenal

Wed 6 Nov 19:45 Show Premier League

Man UtdvArsenal

Sun 10 Nov 16:10 Show Premier League

ArsenalvSouthampton

Sat 23 Nov 15:00 Show Champions League -Group F

ArsenalvMarseille

Tue 26 Nov 19:45 Show Premier League

CardiffvArsenal

Sat 30 Nov 15:00

So five wins out of 6 from 'make or break' month.

So five wins out of 6 from 'make or break' month.

One goal conceded too, from a corner when Mertesacker wasn't playing. What a team Arsenal have been in 2013. Sadly things don't get much easier in the next few weeks:

Everton (h)

Napoli (a)

Man City (a)

Chelsea (h)

West Ham (a)

Newcastle (a)

A straightforward looking home match with Hull on Wednesday aside, another very tough run of fixtures. What is truly ridiculous is playing Everton on Sunday at 4, Napoli on Wednesday night then City at Saturday lunchtime. Six days for three very, very big games. A big bogey team in the shape of Mourinho's Chelsea after all that too. Hopefully Arsenal continue to come through these tests. If they're still top at the other side it's time to truly believe.

One goal conceded too, from a corner when Mertesacker wasn't playing. What a team Arsenal have been in 2013. Sadly things don't get much easier in the next few weeks:

Everton (h)

Napoli (a)

Man City (a)

Chelsea (h)

West Ham (a)

Newcastle (a)

A straightforward looking home match with Hull on Wednesday aside, another very tough run of fixtures. What is truly ridiculous is playing Everton on Sunday at 4, Napoli on Wednesday night then City at Saturday lunchtime. Six days for three very, very big games. A big bogey team in the shape of Mourinho's Chelsea after all that too. Hopefully Arsenal continue to come through these tests. If they're still top at the other side it's time to truly believe.

if arsenal stay top until the transfer window is opened then i think they will strengthen up front and at the back to try and secure the title

i'd love to see an arsenal title win and everton sneak into the top 4 (somehow), both been playing the most attractive football of the EPL campaign

I'm not sure how easy it would be for Arsenal to strengthen up front, not because they couldn't sign a top class striker (although that would be hard), but because Giroud is such an integral part of their forward play that bringing someone else in - who may be a better footballer - might not actually improve the team as a whole. He seems to be on the same wavelength as Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere etc, and even though he could score more goals he's vitally important to how they work going forward. They need better quality back up, but what top class striker is going to sign when he knoes he isn't going to play?

Everton (h)

Napoli (a)

Man City (a)

Chelsea (h)

West Ham (a)

Newcastle (a)

I predict 6 straight wins and no goals conceded.

I can see Arsenal winning all them except the Man City game at the Etihad. In the League Cup they looked clueless against Chelsea but it'll be a different game

Archived