A great feeling at Cappielow..

Don't you mortonfied

lol wut

Its the sense of timing that gets me . They are going to get relegated just as the second tier sides are about to get a bit of a cash injection. This could put Morton below even Cowdenbeath in terms of finance .

Perhaps in an alternate dimension where a one-off season boost to a crowd overturns a massive gulf in turnover every season.

No , not necessarily a one off season situation. No guarantee at all that you can come back up quick.

Nah, there would would need to be a cock up of epic proportions for them not to return at the first time of asking. The second is brutal.

Will be offset by the huge rise in attendances next season if they win a few games.

Would it though?

I'm not saying it would necessarily be the same for Morton, or denying that they have a bigger potential fan base than us; but we've seen a massive difference in gates between our last two seasons in the 3rd tier.

In 2002, we got several good crowds on the run-in, including 6,000 when we received the trophy. Last year however, despite having a much more dominant side, we never got crowds that came close to that kind of level.

I think that even a resurgent Morton would fail to get crowds next season which could match those others will get in this league.

Would it though?

I'm not saying it would necessarily be the same for Morton, or denying that they have a bigger potential fan base than us; but we've seen a massive difference in gates between our last two seasons in the 3rd tier.

In 2002, we got several good crowds on the run-in, including 6,000 when we received the trophy. Last year however, despite having a much more dominant side, we never got crowds that came close to that kind of level.

I think that even a resurgent Morton would fail to get crowds next season which could match those others will get in this league.

It probably won't be that much different to this seasons. I'd guess at it falling somewhere between 2200-1500, depending on how the season goes. They certainly won't be anything even close to the figures achieved from 03/04 - 06/07.

Long gone are the days of averaging 3K in Div2 and getting 8500 for games against shite like Peterhead.

No , not necessarily a one off season situation. No guarantee at all that you can come back up quick.

I was referring to Cowdenbeath champ. Regardless of next season's income boost they'll still operate on a financial scale well beneath that of Morton, due to a far smaller revenue base.

Not to mention the impact of Dunfermline and the tribute act sliding up the leagues, which will make this current window for part-time small clubs surviving in the Championship very brief indeed.

I know this too. You need to look up sarcasm in the dictionary before looking at a football forum.

You were being sarcastic in suggesting a successful side a division down would get bigger crowds than a pitifully unsuccessful one are currently attracting in the League directly above?

Ok. Such a scenario is hardly unprecedented though.

I see no pressing need to consult a dictionary to get a handle on this sarcasm lark.

After all, you're not a fanny.

Nah, there would would need to be a cock up of epic proportions for them not to return at the first time of asking. The second is brutal.

Brutal it is but you do not have to go too far back to see them struggle to escape the First ( second ) division. It was at least three and maybe four attempts last time.ps the league was shite then as well. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I was referring to Cowdenbeath champ. Regardless of next season's income boost they'll still operate on a financial scale well beneath that of Morton, due to a far smaller revenue base.

Not to mention the impact of Dunfermline and the tribute act sliding up the leagues, which will make this current window for part-time small clubs surviving in the Championship very brief indeed.

Dumbarton are the prime example of a very small part time club not only surviving but thriving at this level ...it's good for them obviously but proves how poor this division must be .....I don't think a part time club would survive in the conference for example

The boys of '22 will be birling in their graves. Sad times for the big team. Hopefully Kenny Shiels can cheer them up with his folksy wisdom.

Edited by Scary Bear

Taking the Morton job was a gamble career wise for Shiels . His stock would have still been reasonably high before the Cappielow job in that he could have got another SPL one but now ?

It was maybe a gamble for him in the sense that the job doesn't seem to fit his, at least proported, skill set.I think it was a bigger gamble for Morton TBH, to take on a self-proclaimed long term thinker in the middle of a relegation battle. Relegation will probably do more damage to the club's medium term future than it does to Shiels' reputation.

I'm not sure what his chances were of getting another Premiership club (certainly in the shorter term), and his stock would probably have plummeted just as much with being out of a job for a prolonged period. He came into the Morton job having 20 games this season to prove himself, and even if he couldn't prevent relegation (obviously a certainty now) I can only assume that he will get a chance to take us back up next season. If you can't back your ability to do that, then your not going to last long at a higher level anyway. Which is probably to say, whatever job Shiel's took on was going to be a risk for him.

Dumbarton are the prime example of a very small part time club not only surviving but thriving at this level ...it's good for them obviously but proves how poor this division must be .....I don't think a part time club would survive in the conference for example

They've spent two years at this level, both years prior to the tribute act and Dunfermline returning to their broadly 'natural' level. It's like turkeys congratulating themselves on surviving November.

That's a nice line. Is it original?

Quite enjoyed it too actually :lol:

Does illustrate a broader point though. Finishing bottom of next years second tier which will include Hearts, the Ibrox club and possibly Dunfermline, Dundee, and even Killie or St Mirren wouldn't be that embarrassing, it's going to be a strong league with a lot of big hitters.

Finishing bottom this year though?