Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

We may well have, say, too many full-time clubs.

Not by much, if the rather tired "tenth of England" proportion is taken. There are presently only 19 full-time teams in Scotland (20 if Sevco actually end up with a team). The Premier League and Football League are both fully full-time and the Conference National is almost all full-time. That's 116. If the recession drags on much longer (and it will, because of the fucking Tories) SFL1 will be all part-time soon enough.

Edited by Thumper

But the idea that we have "too many clubs" is farcical, and only surpassed in farcical-ness by ideas like Fife Utds etc.

Spot on. If I was a fan of Cowden or East Fife I'd not go to any games involved a merged club with either the Pars or Rovers. We're all distinctly different and usually the derbies provide solid attendances.

Glen gibbons he was one of the few journos who took mccoist to task for the sfa tribunal rant. Whilst we are all rightly unhappy at individual journos and 'columnists' sports editors are the guys who decide the agenda and slant the paper will take on a commercial basis and these anonymous gits should be taken to task too. BBC kind of got some accuracy eventually but for the most part they have been a disgrace as they unlike red tops do not have a commercial agenda so have an obligation to chase the truth. They should be ashamed that it took a commercial TV journo to do their job for them. Major reform required by BBC. I feel

The currants think the BBC is a papal conspiracy.:blink:

This bit of the article is utter garbage.

But the idea that we have "too many clubs" is farcical, and only surpassed in farcical-ness by ideas like Fife Utds etc.

Yet we could have the reduction needed shortly, though at the wrong end of the table. :lol::lol::lol:

All the clubs, from mid-div 1down, learned to live within their means eons ago.

Spot on. If I was a fan of Cowden or East Fife I'd not go to any games involved a merged club with either the Pars or Rovers. We're all distinctly different and usually the derbies provide solid attendances.

It'd be boring if any of the Fife teams were named after real towns anyway. It's more interesting for them to have weird made-up names like East Fife, Raith or Dunfermline.

Edited by Thumper

Steve indicated he would leave the Board and not seek re-election many weeks ago after he received intimidating email from 'anonymous' at the point of the first vote on SPL membership for the newco. He argued and won the principle that it was a decision that should be taken by all share-holding clubs. He has been fairly disenchanted by the whole SPL affair and the way that smaller clubs have beenpressurised and so delegated Dircetor Stan Harris to vote at the last crucial meeting. SJFC have been consistently a 'no vote' throughout and although communication to fans has not always been perfect,it has been principled.

That's some thinking I can get on board with.

If he had been more vocal, either in the press or on the website, he would be doing himsel a lot of favours. I know of loads of people still holding off on buying season tickets until everything is 100% decided - a stronger statement of intent by the board would have helped no end with the ST sales in my opinion.

I'd happily merge with Dundee; so long as we were called Dundee United (which would be apt), played in Tangerine (very colourful so it's only common sense) and played at Tannadice (because Dens is a shithole, but would make a good car park).

I home this lays waste to the myth that we football supporters are inflexible and closed-minded.

This bit of the article is utter garbage.

By the logic of the 'too many teams brigade', the clubs that go bust should be left to expire in a corner and the leagues should not re-admit them. I wonder how that would sit?

In 30 years we'd have two divisions of well-run small town sides with average crowd of 500 that can balance their books. Good or bad?

The subtext of 'too many teams', that greedy, grasping clubs like Elgin, Montrose and Annan are starving poor mites like Rangers and Celtic of vital income, is a fallacy.

Green and McCoist have arrived at Hampden for the meeting...

Why have the CEO and manager of an SFL club come to the SPL AGM :rolleyes:

WTF??

Are those bad pennies still there on the basis of Oldco's SPL share?

Shirley not.

This is ridiculous............. or devious

Not by much, if the rather tired "tenth of England" proportion is taken. There are presently only 19 full-time teams in Scotland (20 if Sevco actually end up with a team). The Premier League and Football League are both fully full-time and the Conference National is almost all full-time. That's 116. If the recession drags on much longer (and it will, because of the fucking Tories) SFL1 will be all part-time soon enough.

Scotland has a population of 5.2M, where as the UK as a whole has 58.8M. That's 8.8% or roughly 1/11th.

WTF??

Are those bad pennies still there on the basis of Oldco's SPL share?

Shirley not.

This is ridiculous............. or devious

They're representing oldco Rangers, who haven't been asked yet to relinquish their share.

Their attendance will make very little difference, although I did have a wee tizzy myself when I saw they were there!

St Johnstone fan Kyle has texted GERS to 80295 with a bit of positivity: I actually agree with AlexxB the Pars fan. For the record also, I'm quite jealous of the adventure the 'Rangers' fans are about to embark on - they'll get to visit venues in the league that even yo-yo teams like ourselves haven't been near. The gloryhunters won't enjoy it much, but the true Gers fans will, I'm sure.

But do nos. 1, 2 and 4 have any bearing on Sevco?

No. 3 doubtlessly would, and probably no. 5 also affect the newco, but the other three surely only are relevant for Rangers?

Borys

Hmm ... I do believe selling shonky goods is a bit verboten, Borys, God knows what is going to be unearthed.

Yes... the irony is that you'd likely see 'continuation clubs' in the AFC Wimbledon/FC Utd of Manchester vein started-up, while (taking the Fife United as an example) if it was playing in Dunfermline then you might struggle to replace those turned-off through the demise of the Pars with those from Kirkcaldy/Cowdenbeath/Methil.

There's several thousand clubs in Scotland. There are as many clubs as there are young men to play in them. There can't be "too many clubs", arguably.

The subtext of 'too many teams', that greedy, grasping clubs like Elgin, Montrose and Annan are starving poor mites like Rangers and Celtic of vital income, is a fallacy.

Exactly. How many part-time clubs have hit the financial buffers since WWII? How many have gone into administration?

History inspires fans anyway, something which franchise-teams would entirely lack.

And if you'd only say 20 clubs in leagues and cups it'd be stale and boring.

By the logic of the 'too many teams brigade', the clubs that go bust should be left to expire in a corner and the leagues should not re-admit them. I wonder how that would sit?

In 30 years we'd have two divisions of well-run small town sides with average crowd of 500 that can balance their books. Good or bad?

I'm in favour of looking at league restructuring and the removal of teams that are a drain on the rest of Scottish football and believe that a sensible approach would be to trial it out gradually. In particular, there are way too many teams playing in the Glasgow area at present and it would therefore make perfect sense just to choose a particular team in that area to be shut down. I'm not sure if there are any teams in that area that are, for example, stuck in the bottom division, are financially struggling and, if such a thing is possible, have never ever won a single trophy (or even match!) in the whole of their history, but that would seem to be to be a very good candidate...